PDA

View Full Version : Steam SH4 + Uboats big headache

daones
08-14-10, 06:17 AM
Hello,

First off hello everyone im new to the community and an ex U.S. Marine. I spent a lot of time playing hearts of iron 3 and think I need something appealing to my eyes and exciting. Actually by looking at wiki I found out about this game and the community and I would have to say by seeing such a large amount of mods and community swayed me to buy this game.

So I purchased SH4 + uboats missions at the same time, without knowing I downloaded both at the same time and obviously it wouldnt load because of cross corruption between both games. So after verifying both games once I figured it would be best to delete the expansion. So i deleted that and then reverified SH4 stock.. Once verified and downloaded i ran the game and it seemed fine. So i rebooted started up steam then installed Uboat missions expansion. After downloaded I verified that and said I had to reacquire 400 files, so i was away from the computer the first time i verified the files and since it wasnt updating the expansion i reverified (assuming it downloaded the 400 already) and even again after verifying the 2nd time it still said 400 needed to be reacquired. So as of now im verifying the Uboats expansion a 3rd time

Just have to say not an easy start to getting into this game, if someone were a casual gamer I would hate to see the frustration they would be in. Let me know if anyone has any tips from the steps im on now to make this less painless. I spent all day yesterday downloading the games and re-verifying files redownloading etc.. I just want to play now.

Update: Some good news, after the 3rd verification of the files through steam it was 100% and the uboats expansion loaded up fine for the first time. now just have to get some mods installed. Can anyone recommend other mods with RFB + RSRDC? My pc is capable of good graphics I have an GF9600gt.

WernherVonTrapp
08-14-10, 07:53 AM
First, welcome to the forum, and the war, daones. Second, thank you for serving our country, you have my respect and sincerest gratitude.:salute: I'm glad everything worked out for you with Steam. Though I have no personal knowledge/experience with that particular version (Steam), I read alot of horror stories involving many different games DLed from them. Then again, I've read just as many happy experiences about Steam.
I would heartily recommend any of the supermods, the preference of which is simply a matter of taste. TMO, RFB, are both equallly (in their own right) truly, super, mods.
Still, though some have had absolutely no difficulty transitioning to the supermods, you may want to play the Stock version for a while and acclimate yourself with the game's dynamics. It could, potentially, save you some degree of frustration later on. The game has a bit of a learning curve associated with it. Just be prepared for some minor withdrawal symptoms (depression, DTs, PTSD, etc.) associated with long absences from the game. Oh yeah, mutiny from the home crew (first mate, etc.) has also been reported by the forum debriefing team.
Anyway, welcome aboard!:yeah:

sergei
08-14-10, 07:55 AM
Welcome aboard - glad you got it working. :DL