PDA

View Full Version : graphics

blacklabs
08-14-10, 03:59 AM
anyone know how to get better graphics for sh4 than buy a graphics card :salute:

peabody
08-14-10, 04:13 AM
anyone know how to get better graphics for sh4 than buy a graphics card :salute:

Have you changed the options and your card won't handle it? There are two places to change settings in the game. One is in the main menu, the other for Career mode is in the "Captain's Room" at the beginning of the Career, before you go on a mission. I didn't know if you knew that.
If your card will not handle the higher settings there is not much you can do, but if your card will handle it, some of the Major MODs have done a great job improving the graphics of the environment, and there is some work being done for sub interiors also.

But I'm not sure from the question if it is because your card can't handle it.

Peabody

WernherVonTrapp
08-14-10, 06:57 AM
anyone know how to get better graphics for sh4 than buy a graphics card :salute:That depends on a lot of things. What are your system specifications? What is/are the specific problem(s) you are having? It would be easier for someone to answer your question if you'd be a little more specific.;):DL

Sailor Steve
08-14-10, 11:19 AM
I ended up buying a new card.

But how much memory do you have? That can make a difference as well.

blacklabs
08-14-10, 11:47 AM
72 gb free got 10 gb

Fish40
08-14-10, 11:48 AM
New graphics card won't help if the CPU isn't up to the task either. And don't forget, if you upgrade the GPU be sure your PSU is up to snuff to supply ample power to the whole shebang;)

WernherVonTrapp
08-14-10, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the PM blacklabs. I'm gonna post some of your system specs here for the other guys to read too. That way, if I don't know the answer, or haven't read my PMs, you won't have to wait too long for yours.:03: Having an AMD Athlon 64 bit, dual core, is a good thing. Having only 1GB of system RAM is not too good for a graphics intensive game like SHIV. So, as I said in my reply, I would recommend at least 3 to 4 GB of RAM to improve your graphics. Also, you may want to find out (if you don't already know) if you have a dedicated graphics card or if it is system integrated. Post your replies here so that others can assist you too, probably quicker than I can. Nice PC you have there, BTW, blacklabs.:up:
OK, update: You say you have an NVIDIA graphics card but don't know which one. Check your PC's User Manual under "Specifications". You may find the answer there.

ancient46
08-14-10, 01:18 PM
If you don't have a separate graphics card, a 1GB system will have trouble running the game. A chipset graphics processor on board video memory is usually less than half the listed video memory. The rest is made up of slower system memory.
Running SH4 on a system with 1GB of memory works better if you shut down all of the unused programs that eat up memory in the background. This also includes the massive amount of memory used by unneeded Windows services. To run the game with better graphics on my 1 GB Athlon dual core with a 8800gt graphics card, I reduced the XP operating footprint to less than 200 MB.
If you are not familiar with what services are essential for Windows to operate there are sites available to help you to know which ones you can safely disable.

WernherVonTrapp
08-15-10, 04:47 AM
Blacklabs, please don't misunderstand me buddy, but you really should post your questions here, in this thread.;) You're restricting yourself to my knowledge alone by sending PMs to me. I'm certainly not the last word in PC technical help.
Now, if you say that you built the computer yourself, from scratch, then you shouldn't need a manual. You should know your PC more comprehensively than I know mine. Besides, the parts you ordered/purchased to build the PC with, all come with their own manuals. I have yet to purchase a computer part that doesn't have some type of nomenclature associated with it, even if it's just printed on the box.
No, you shouldn't have to upgrade your MoBo in order to add more RAM but, you should be more specific in your questions/replies. The info I'm getting from you is very vague. Please post your questions here so that others may assist you also.:up:

blacklabs
08-15-10, 05:24 AM
well you see my freind helped me hes really good at computers but hes on holiday right now and i dont want to disturb him he helped me so he knows all the stuff

WernherVonTrapp
08-15-10, 05:51 AM
Ahh, OK. Well, that's a big departure from building the system from scratch by yourself. Anyway, here is a typical picture of what RAM sticks look like. Like I said in my PM, you see the manufacturer's sticker denoting the type of RAM. In this particular (older RAM) picture, you're looking at 2 sticks of 128MB of PC100/PC133 RAM. This is to give you an idea of how to find out what type of RAM you already have installed. The type of RAM you purchase should read exactly as it does on the sticker of the RAM you already have:
http://s.ecrater.com/stores/41991/4a05eb799924c_41991b.jpg

This next pic is an example of a typical MoBo. The RAM slots in this pic are called "Memory Slots: Dual Channel DDR3" and "DDR2". This is where you would snap-in the new RAM sticks. Notice the white tabs at either end of the slots. These tabs have to be opened before installing the RAM. When installed correctly, these tabs will snap shut on their own:
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-128-048-04.jpg

This, is to give you an example of what a Graphics Card looks like:
http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/PNY_XLR8_8800_GTX_OC_Graphics_Card_1.jpg

I sure hope this helps.:salute:

blacklabs
08-15-10, 07:00 AM
ok thanks but will it cost alot

WernherVonTrapp
08-15-10, 07:11 AM
ok thanks but will it cost alotAbsolutely not, just for RAM sticks? Then again, that all depends on your budget. I have friends that consider $20.00 alot of money.:D

blacklabs
08-15-10, 07:17 AM
that would be £20 for me but no thats nothin

blacklabs
08-15-10, 07:19 AM
i am wanting to watch a clip of me sinking a ship on sh44 save the replay too but how do i watch it

WernherVonTrapp
08-15-10, 07:26 AM
i am wanting to watch a clip of me sinking a ship on sh44 save the replay too but how do i watch itYou should be able to replay it from the options menu when SHIV starts up. BTW, did you find out what type of graphic card you have? NVIDIA 9500, NVIDIA 9800, etc., etc.?

Sailor Steve
08-15-10, 08:30 AM
72 gb free got 10 gb
Sorry, my bad. I meant memory as in RAM. I should have been more specific. Upgrading from 512kb to 2gb and finally 4gb made a big difference, especially in SH4.

blacklabs
08-15-10, 10:20 AM
hey you guys have been great but can you get you and your freinds to look at my newsest op monson post on the ato mods forum it would be great thanks byeeeeeeeee

peabody
08-15-10, 08:56 PM
hey you guys have been great but can you get you and your freinds to look at my newsest op monson post on the ato mods forum it would be great thanks byeeeeeeeee

You'll have to be more specific, there are 7 of them. :hmmm: