PDA

View Full Version : German Campaign.... SH3 GWX or SH4 OM720?

BULL
08-11-10, 10:37 AM
I have been playing SH4 for several months while reading and viewing a host of books and videos about the US submarine war in the Pacific.... well I have run out of books/videos on that topic now and I have started reading about the Battle of the Atlantic.

I played SHII long ago but never played SHIII for various reasons.... I have both SH3 and GWX and SH4 and could mod with OM720. Which will provide the better experience from those who might have done both?

Thanks!
Scott

Sailor Steve
08-11-10, 11:21 AM
Yes.

If you already have both, you should try both. SH3 has had two more years of modding, and modders have devoted more attention to it, so it looks an plays great.

SH4 has a better look to it, plus some better features. Either one is great.

BULL
08-11-10, 01:27 PM
Thanks Sailor Steve

I did notice in doing the training academy on SHIII that I missed the graphics of SH4... I think I might start with SH4 OM and see how it goes.

If I could upgrade the graphics of SH3 maybe I would start there but seems there are some basic limitations to that.

Sailor Steve
08-11-10, 02:49 PM
It is a quandary. SH3 has many more mods, all of them good, many of them great. I keep wishing SH4 had all the cool goodies that have been made for SH3.

But SH4 not only has the great graphics, but it has exactly the crew management that was asked for when we complained about SH3's. It's more stable, has better graphic goodies (I'm thinking of the way the radio messages are handed to the captain on a clipboard, just like real life), and a bunch of other neat things. Overall it's the better platform, without question.

SH5 is even better. Unfortunately it's even less complete. Maybe in time...

Forensicman101
08-16-10, 08:09 AM
I think GWX is better, it's had more time to get minor issues ironed out & many players prefer the SH3 interface (though you can mod much of the OM interface to be SH3-like). Graphics of both are fine; both are very good games. I've noticed that GWX is somewhat unstable on Vista (it could be a Vista/SH3 thing). I suggest you let your choice of operating system make the decision. If you have Windows XP go for GWX; if you have Vista (or, heaven forbid, Windows 7) go for Operation Monsun.

ETR3(SS)
08-16-10, 10:05 AM
I think GWX is better, it's had more time to get minor issues ironed out & many players prefer the SH3 interface (though you can mod much of the OM interface to be SH3-like). Graphics of both are fine; both are very good games. I've noticed that GWX is somewhat unstable on Vista (it could be a Vista/SH3 thing). I suggest you let your choice of operating system make the decision. If you have Windows XP go for GWX; if you have Vista (or, heaven forbid, Windows 7) go for Operation Monsun.
What's wrong with 7?:06:

Wilcke
08-16-10, 11:24 AM
Win 7 Pro for me runs great! Will run SH3, SH4 and SH5 without any issues. Its a great OS!

FIREWALL
08-16-10, 11:54 AM
I run Win7 Pro 64 bit on all my sims. Finally put XP in the drawer.

I was doing the duo boot thing for awhile but, when I did a reformat I didn't bother with XP.

I have SH2,3,4 and 5 installed without any problems.

The only sim I had a little trouble with was RoF-ICE.

777 Studios website had a fix so....

All my other Flight and Racing sims work perfectly.

Win7 Pro 64bit is the way to go for an OS upgrade.

BULL
08-25-10, 10:50 AM
I think I will start with Ops Monsun since I am familiar with the SH4 platform at the moment. I am running Vista so that may or may not be a problem but I was able to do some of the training "academy" missions with SH3 & GWX installed with no issues... (i.e. crashes) but didn't start a career.