PDA

View Full Version : Which SuperMod Has The Least Amount Of Spyware?

Mowinz
08-04-10, 01:11 PM
I tested just one SuperMod so far and noticed JSGME was queued and enabled in my Task Scheduler. How cool is that?

frau kaleun
08-04-10, 01:19 PM
AFAIK there is no spyware in any of the supermods discussed here.

GWX3 includes JSGME, which is not spyware - it's a program that allows mods to be added and removed from the game installation without the necessity of manually adding, overwriting, and backing up all the required game files. It doesn't do any of that, or anything else that I know of, unless you open it and tell it to.

Sgt_Raa
08-04-10, 01:33 PM

GWX3 includes JSGME, which is not spyware - it's a program that allows mods to be added and removed from the game installation without the necessity of manually adding, overwriting, and backing up all the required game files. It doesn't do any of that, or anything else that I know of, unless you open it and tell it to.
some mods come up as a false positive with anti virus/spyware programs... as do trainers.... make sure you add them to your antivrus ignore list:salute:

Sailor Steve
08-04-10, 05:07 PM

:yep:

JSGME - JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler - is the most vital tool you can have for working with mods. What ever gave you the idea it was spyware?

Sgt_Raa
08-04-10, 08:55 PM

JSGME - JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler - is the most vital tool you can have for working with mods. What ever gave you the idea it was spyware?
JSGME works like a trojan so some anti virus will pick it up... so probs that.... no offence to Mowinz but he is prob noob 2 modding:sunny:

krashkart
08-04-10, 10:11 PM
I tested just one SuperMod so far and noticed JSGME was queued and enabled in my Task Scheduler. How cool is that? From your post it sounds like you might have opened a file that was somehow associated with JSGME, which in turn launched the program. That's my best guess at this time. As for spyware, I doubt that there would be any in the files hosted here. Which supermod was it that gave you problems? I'll download it and scan to see if anything comes up on my machine.

Sailor Steve
08-04-10, 11:20 PM
As far as I know GWX is the only supermod that comes with JSGME installed. That's how I know it's not spyware. :sunny:

Arctic wolf
08-05-10, 12:37 AM
I've got quite a few mods installed including GWX (oh this one's the best) and I haven't received any false alarms about them being spyware yet. Nothing to worry about mate. :up:

Jankowski
08-05-10, 01:08 AM
do you think that on a small tightly knit group of simmers someone would put a virus in a mod??

also Sgt. raa, your signatures never fail to amuse me!

JScones
08-05-10, 02:41 AM
JSGME works like a trojan so some anti virus will pick it up... so probs that....
It does? :hmmm: First I heard about that!

SeaWolf U-57
08-05-10, 02:53 AM
It does? :hmmm: First I heard about that!

I remember that happening to me long time ago when I was using Norton
It said JSGME is a trogan :har:

Pisces
08-05-10, 03:23 AM
Well, JSGME has the ability to check for program updates on the internet. So I'm not surprised if a firewall freaks out (But which program doesn't do those checks thesedays). It is however a completely manual operation (Right JScones??? ), so it must have been preceded by clicking the button by you know who.

SeaWolf U-57
08-05-10, 03:37 AM
Well, JSGME has the ability to check for program updates on the internet. So I'm not surprised if a firewall freaks out (But which program doesn't do those checks thesedays). It is however a completely manual operation (Right JScones??? ), so it must have been preceded by clicking the button by you know who.

No it was reported during the programs Scan :O:

Gerald
08-05-10, 06:29 AM
I tested just one SuperMod so far and noticed JSGME was queued and enabled in my Task Scheduler. How cool is that? problem begins if you take down other non-related GWX mods,and in the Descent, it may come with viruses or other malicious software from the Web,Thus, from network traffic, you have an antivirus protection scans web traffic you will get no problems.

Mowinz
08-05-10, 04:22 PM
:arrgh!::up:

Yeah...I guess you guys are right. What are the chances of FREE software having some Spyware in it?

:wah::DL:up::sunny:

I noticed the game runs much better when you turn off you're firewall and and disable all of the security software.

LOL!

K-61
08-05-10, 04:34 PM
My experience with the SH3 community has been that they are a great bunch of guys. Because this sim requires a lot of attention and patience, most of us tend to be older and mature, thus less likely to comprise a group of virus writers.

Madox58
08-05-10, 04:37 PM
I had a Cold when I built the installer for GWX 3.
But I don't think I sneezed on any files.
:hmmm:
:haha:

frau kaleun
08-05-10, 05:11 PM
I noticed the game runs much better when you turn off you're firewall and and disable all of the security software.

A lot of people do this simply because it reduces the number of legitimate background processes that run during a gaming session, and lessens the load on an older or less powerful computer leading to better performance of the game itself. Shutting off any unnecessary processes during a game session helps, whether they're security-related or not.

Those players will also disable their internet connection so that nothing can come in or go out while the firewall/security software is disabled.

I tried this a couple times and didn't notice any change in performance, but I'm lucky enough to have a relatively new system that far exceeds the game's 5 year old specs.

K-61
08-05-10, 05:34 PM
My notebook has 8GB of RAM and the Radeon Mobility processor has 1GB of RAM. More than adequate for the job; I don't shut anything off in the background and it simply runs over anything in its path. Even in GWX's heavy harbour scene it's a steady 60 FPS. It stays at 60 no matter where I am, but I have not yet had my first big convoy battle with this new rig.

frau kaleun
08-05-10, 07:43 PM
My notebook has 8GB of RAM and the Radeon Mobility processor has 1GB of RAM. More than adequate for the job; I don't shut anything off in the background and it simply runs over anything in its path. Even in GWX's heavy harbour scene it's a steady 60 FPS. It stays at 60 no matter where I am, but I have not yet had my first big convoy battle with this new rig.

My "suite" of security software has an option to turn off all unnecessary background processes whenever a fullscreen program (which in my case would almost always be a game) is running. It doesn't disable the firewall or AV protection.

Doing that myself manually and pulling the plug on the internet didn't make any discernible difference, so I stick with what it does on its own and that's good enough for me.

HW3
08-05-10, 09:15 PM
Just for info JSGME stands for Jone Soft Generic Mod Enabler, and is one of the most important mods for SH3. From the web site....

Do you have a game that can be "modded"? As you know, the number of "must have" mods for any game can run into the tens, if not hundreds. The Generic Mod Enabler takes most of the hassle out of installing and uninstalling mods from your game. It has been tested with European Air War, Panzer Elite, Silent Hunter III/IV, Total War and various other games but should work with just about any moddable game.

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/ (http://www.users.on.net/%7Ejscones/software/)

Myxale
08-05-10, 10:18 PM
What are the chances of FREE software having some Spyware in it?
LOL!

Well that is open to discussion as a general topic, but we're talking about JoneSoft here. The dude abides! :rock:
His codes are cool!

Mowinz
08-06-10, 09:31 AM
No doubt JSGME is a powerful tool! What does it do? It takes snapshots of files. I use it on my offline dedicated PC gaming rig only.

One must be very careful about installing software on a business or personal computer with internet access. Computer and Internet fraud is a billion dollar business and growing. Good luck!

http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/computer_intrusions.htm

Pisces
08-07-10, 04:33 AM
Your concerns are valid. Information theft can have serious consequences. But usually those 'virus-scanners' also have an analyse service, where you upload the file in question and it is scutinized in more depth. Atleast, I have done this several times with AVG (I mean, I uploaded uncertain files TO AVG ;) ) Todate they allways turned out to be false positives.

JScones
08-07-10, 06:36 AM
Correct. JSGME only ever connects to the internet when the user presses the Updates button, and then, all it does is query a file that sits on my server that holds the details of the latest available version. A quick internal calculation later, and if there is a newer version available, the user gets asked if they want to d/l it (again, their choice). Nothing more, nothing less.

IMHO there's common sense...and there's paranoia. One is a good thing, the other...

JScones
08-07-10, 06:47 AM
My "suite" of security software has an option to turn off all unnecessary background processes whenever a fullscreen program (which in my case would almost always be a game) is running. It doesn't disable the firewall or AV protection.

Doing that myself manually and pulling the plug on the internet didn't make any discernible difference, so I stick with what it does on its own and that's good enough for me.
Just a warning to those who use software to kill background processes while SH3 is running AND they use SH3Cmdr: pls make sure that you do not kill "SH3CTSR.exe". That (very small) file is required by SH3Cmdr to capture and send your bank account details to me, umm, I mean, it's required by SH3Cmdr to ensure that auto-rollback can occur, as it monitors SH3 and "prods" SH3Cmdr when you have exited the game.

If you kill it, then SH3Cmdr won't get the appropriate message when you quit the game, meaning that it won't auto-rollback (assuming the option is selected in the first place).

It will kill itself automatically after it "wakes up" SH3Cmdr.

And yes, I'm joking about the bank account thingy.

Gerald
08-07-10, 07:28 AM
just disconnect network,when you play, it is sufficient.

Mittelwaechter
08-07-10, 08:01 AM
Aahh!

Now I now where my missing 38.400 Euros went to...

The actual anti virus programs do not only rely on often outdated virus signatures but scan the running processes for suspicious behaviour and alert the user if they find an unknown program that i.e. overwrites other files, starts the browser or tries to connect to the internet. Things viruses tend to do.

All those free anti virus programs are free because users like Pisces do their job and send in suspicious files to be checked by the programers. That's the way they find new viruses and it enables them to update the virus signatures to be downloaded by free users as by paying customers.

Be aware that some "free helpers" transfer your complete system status including content of RAM if you ask them for support.

(Btw - is it programms and programmers or program and programers?
Or even programs and programmers?)

Gerald
08-07-10, 08:18 AM
Aahh!

Now I now where my missing 38.400 Euros went to...

The actual anti virus programs do not only rely on often outdated virus signatures but scan the running processes for suspicious behaviour and alert the user if they find an unknown program that i.e. overwrites other files, starts the browser or tries to connect to the internet. Things viruses tend to do.

All those free anti virus programs are free because users like Pisces do their job and send in suspicious files to be checked by the programers. That's the way they find new viruses and it enables them to update the virus signatures to be downloaded by free users as by paying customers.

Be aware that some "free helpers" transfer your complete system status including content of RAM if you ask them for support.

Or even programs and programmers?) not that they are less good, there is in my opinion, pretty good free programs on Market,but they do not have them qualities and advantages as I want and what I see is important.And sending samples of suspect viruses should be for several reasons Avoid,to the company that it is virus protection,and it is not because the company is shady,but that information can be easily seen by other players or program from network.One should bear in mind that what protection you have so there is no 100% guarantee that you are fully protected, virus that comes out on the Web, is one step ahead all the time..

frau kaleun
08-07-10, 07:31 PM
Just a warning to those who use software to kill background processes while SH3 is running AND they use SH3Cmdr: pls make sure that you do not kill "SH3CTSR.exe".

My security software only disables its own unnecessary background stuff when a fullscreen app is running - but this is great to know for people who prefer to pick and choose from all running processes to get max performance from the game. :yep:

Doolar
08-08-10, 11:28 PM
I myself use "GAME BOOSTER" on the reconmendation of "SAILOR STEVE" . It does give me a few more frames/second , say maybe 10 to 15 more then i would have without it . Its a modest gain , but in the high traffic areas it enough to smooth thing out . For thoughs familier with "GAME BOOSTER" it recovers about 70mb to 90mb of RAM ( its never the same ) You wouldn't think 70mb to 90mb of RAM would make a difference , especially when I'm running 2gb's . thanx again "SAILOR STEVE". :cool:

HW3
08-09-10, 02:00 AM
I use Game Booster also, it does help, and is easy to use.

h.sie
08-09-10, 02:31 AM
How does GAME BOOSTER work and where can one get it??

Thx in advance,
h.sie

Edith: Google brought the answer to my questions. Sorry for spamming.

Gerald
08-09-10, 05:07 AM
How does GAME BOOSTER work and where can one get it??

Thx in advance,
h.sie

Edith: Google brought the answer to my questions. Sorry for spamming.

http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000-18541_4-10913645.html

Mowinz
08-11-10, 12:21 PM
If you are real lazy you may want to try and use Gamebooster. Be sure to download the version without the virus. Some versions contain Virus:Win32/Induc.A

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=3715

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Virus%3AWin32%2FInduc.A

Just say no to VIRUS.

GameShadow

Gerald
08-11-10, 12:35 PM
when it makes no improvement at all,possible if you have a much older rig.

Gaijin
08-11-10, 07:27 PM
IMHO there's common sense...and there's paranoia. One is a good thing, the other...

Personally, ever since I downloaded it, I sleep wrapped in at least two layers of tinfoil. I woke up one night, glanced at the screen, only to see an animated JScones wearing a trench coat and reading a newspaper with eye holes cut out, staring back at me.

Cant be too careful.

frau kaleun
08-11-10, 07:29 PM
I woke up one night, glanced at the screen, only to see an animated JScones wearing a trench coat and reading a newspaper with eye holes cut out, staring back at me.

Just be grateful the holes weren't in the trenchcoat. :O:

Gaijin
08-11-10, 07:34 PM
:haha:

Or, heavens forbid, the dreaded 'roll up' function.

Jimbuna
08-12-10, 06:55 AM
Just be grateful the holes weren't in the trenchcoat. :O:

LMAO :D

Herr-Berbunch
08-12-10, 07:40 AM
I used GameBooster on my old XP rig, with success, but haven't even bothered putting it on my new one - any reasonable new machine should be able to cope with SH3 + mods.

Unless I'm playing online I also unplug my wifi adaptor just incase some background program(me) decides to try and update itself, usually the AV. :nope:

Herr-Berbunch
08-12-10, 07:43 AM
Or even programs and programmers?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_%28machine%29

Good old, reliable, trustworthy wikis :D

PS. It's the last one, programs and programmers.

Doolar
08-12-10, 10:07 AM
Just got done running : AVG 9.0 something / SYMANTIC's CORPERATION v10 / The latest SPYBOT / MALWAREBITES / ADAWARE / and MS DEFENDER . Didn't find any viruses or spywares :cool:

Mowinz
08-17-10, 02:58 PM
Just say NO to Trenchcoats and Spywares.