PDA

View Full Version : Saved game crashes

tmdgm
07-30-10, 12:03 AM
Are there any different rules for saved games compared to SH3? i.e. don't save game cuz close to ships, don't save game submerged,etc. You know the complete BS rules cuz ubi designers are idiots....

I'm in a current campaign. the one saved game works. Twice now i've continued from this one save point and sank a freighter, and save it multiple times after following ubi's idiotic save rules, and i get the send error report crash when loading. So basically, it's a brand new game, brand new campaign, and i can't continue it.

The game is basically useless at this point, cuz i'm not gonna keep loading a new campaign, only to save it and have it crash ubi idiots can't design an effin game to save.

Sorry, but i'm pretty teed off at this point after saving multiple times at conditions that should effin work and they don't. Game goes in the trash if it's going to be like this.

Any help would be greatly greatly pleez appreciated. :) :damn:

also, only using FOTRS. no other mods

Jan Kyster
07-30-10, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry, but I think you're lost... :D

Have only had one savegame crash here and that was after installing dx9 after moving over to Win 7... :hmmm:
Ditched that career and haven't had any bad saves ever since... that's more than some 6-7 months now.

And I save in all kind of conditions, btw. Except too close to harbours...

Good luck!

TabbyHunter
07-30-10, 03:11 AM
You could try and to the entire patrol w/o saving. Sure it might take a few hours to do, but hey, that way you only save in port. Otherwise save after a day of travel from enemy ships. That should work.

tmdgm
07-30-10, 08:07 AM
thx for the info. so sounds like i'm screwed. Just worries me that it's my first campaign, sign of things to come. Sorry bout the tirade, i was beyond fuming. Usually when i go back to a saved game that works, and play from there it's ok in SH3. But never had this happen.

What's weird is I'm having issues with SH3 and GWX 3.0 (just reinstalled) with campaign saved games as well. Not sure if there could be anything that would affect both, wouldn't think so.

So you play a whole a campaign mission in one sitting? That seems to take the immersion out of it. After I go to the sector to patrol, I patrol around for a while.

TabbyHunter
07-30-10, 08:19 AM
I play the game more arcade-ish. I had a bad experiance trying to use manual aim at 500 yards in SH3...

But yea, i sit down, grab a drink, some pizza, and have a go at it.

2-6 hours later i stand up, get the kinks outa my back, and move on my day. About 3-7 days latter i play another patrol. Now, in SH3, i could get anywere from 2-5 patrols in an hour, depending on weather, sub, and location.

WernherVonTrapp
07-30-10, 08:44 AM
What is the current method that you do use to save a game? Usually, I save from the Control Room and I pause the game before saving. I rarely have a problem when I save in this manner. I think many use the same method though I don't think anyone else pauses the game before saving.

Major Johnson
07-30-10, 08:52 AM
I typically save from the map screen. I've only had one corrupt save a few weeks back, and that was because I had forgotten about saving while submerged. No problems since then.

On an outside chance, have you cleaned up and defragged your hard drive that the game is on? I got that tip a month ago and surprisingly it helped in game performance. It takes a while but it's worth it. Plus, it certainly can't hurt!

jldjs
07-30-10, 09:56 AM
I always save from map screen (F5 with TMO), after pausing game.
I've done this forever with only a problem once.

tmdgm
07-30-10, 11:16 AM
That is a good idea. i've never paused the game before saving, even in SH3. I'll start trying that. I probably save either on the map screen or the control room. Which one you think is better?

Thx for the ideas. Can't wait to try.

i'm probably due for a defrag so i'll give it a try.

Major Johnson
07-30-10, 12:18 PM
What?? Never paused before saving? I thought that was the only way to save a game. I hit the escape key while on the map screen (and in normal time, not in tc) and choose the save game option.

TabbyHunter
07-30-10, 01:49 PM
I was under the impression that hitting Escape sent you to 0 TC...

Major Johnson
07-30-10, 02:11 PM
I was under the impression that hitting Escape sent you to 0 TC...

I'm only using the GFO mod, and that still utilizes most of the original stock keyboard key mapping. The numpad Enter key, takes you to 0 tc.

The esc key brings up the options menu, and one of those options is to save.

WernherVonTrapp
07-30-10, 03:09 PM
That is a good idea. i've never paused the game before saving, even in SH3. I'll start trying that. I probably save either on the map screen or the control room. Which one you think is better?

Thx for the ideas. Can't wait to try.

i'm probably due for a defrag so i'll give it a try.Well, the idea is not my own (except for the Pause part). I used to save from the Map Screen also but I would occasionally experience the "failure to load" errors. Someone at the UBI forum (I forget who) suggested saving from the Control Room to prevent those errors and I've been doing it ever since. I've had almost no failure to load errors since I started using the Control Room.