PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting Jutland

nikimcbee
07-25-10, 06:20 PM
Is the demo the full game and you just "unlock" all of the features when you buy it? Is the demo just the standard version or the "Bells and whistle" version?

Is the fancy version worth it? (that big of a difference?)

The campaign mode is just 1916, or the whole war? What are the parameters of winning the campaign?

And if I understand, in camp mode you are the Grand Admiral and asign where the ships\fleet go? So, say I asign sub X to patrol a spot, it will report fleet movements and attack the targets on its own?

I'll have to download the demo when I get off work and check it out.:hmmm:

Raptor1
07-26-10, 03:46 AM
Is the demo the full game and you just "unlock" all of the features when you buy it? Is the demo just the standard version or the "Bells and whistle" version?

Yes. The demo has 2 scenarios and you can play all other scenarios for a very limited time (Like 10-15 minutes IIRC), then you can just activate it and it becomes the full games.

Is the fancy version worth it? (that big of a difference?)

The fancy version IMO is the only one that's worth it.

The campaign mode is just 1916, or the whole war? What are the parameters of winning the campaign?

There are 2 campaigns, one for May, 1916 (The Jutland campaign, obviously) and the other from the start of 1916 to the end of 1916, but you only get that one with the fancy version.

And if I understand, in camp mode you are the Grand Admiral and asign where the ships\fleet go? So, say I asign sub X to patrol a spot, it will report fleet movements and attack the targets on its own?

I'll have to download the demo when I get off work and check it out.:hmmm:

Yes, you assign fleets and ships to go to places and then fight it out normally if they sight something. Submarines are handled mostly abstractly though, they might sometimes appear in a battle, torpedoeing a ship or just plain diving out of sight, but usually you just tell them to patrol and they try torpedo ships coming through.

nikimcbee
07-26-10, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input:salute:. I downloaded it last night and played around with it for about an hour. (I should know better than getting a new, involved game at the start of a new work week:shifty:).

No opinion yet. The ship auto fires and you pick the target? Manuvering was kind of a pain, but I didn't know what I was doing, as I just jumped into the game. Is there some sort of official tutorial?

I played around with the 1 on 1 scenario, Koenig Albert? vs the Star of India? Shellcam is pretty cool:D.

Bullethead
07-26-10, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the input:salute:. I downloaded it last night and played around with it for about an hour. (I should know better than getting a new, involved game at the start of a new work week:shifty:).

Welcome aboard and thanks for your interest. Hope you enjoy the game. BTW, new guy buys the drinks :()1:

No opinion yet. The ship auto fires and you pick the target? Manuvering was kind of a pain, but I didn't know what I was doing, as I just jumped into the game. Is there some sort of official tutorial?

If you look in the START/Storm Eagle Studios/Jutland folder, you'll find shortcuts for tutorials, FAQs, and the full game manual.

The actual computing of fire control solutions, laying the guns for range and deflection, etc., is done by the units themselves. You just pick the targets if desired, or you can also leave the choice to your crewmen. However, you do have to give the initial order to open fire.

Maneuvering isn't the interface's strongest point, I admit. However, you'll soon get used to it. The battle tutorial I wrote (should be the 1st shortcut in the START menu) should explain it pretty well if I do say so myself.

nikimcbee
07-26-10, 06:29 PM
If you look in the START/Storm Eagle Studios/Jutland folder, you'll find shortcuts for tutorials, FAQs, and the full game manual

Roger that. I'll check it out when I get off work.

Gorshkov
07-27-10, 07:23 AM
SES Team: Do you consider developing some more tactical level oriented naval game similar to Fighting Steel? I mean more control over one warship given to the player.

nikimcbee
07-27-10, 09:41 AM
okay it's past tense now. Reading the manual now. I played around with the campaign last night.

Tribesman
07-30-10, 11:41 AM
okay it's past tense now. Reading the manual now. I played around with the campaign last night.

So are you enjoying it yet?
It took a good while for me in a campaign till I changed from..."its a good game" to" bloody hell how did I walk into that the dirty damn sneaky bastards,how dare they screw my plans, what the hell am I going to do next......"
It has the one thing that SH3 lacks(not really comparing a sim to a strategy game, but if I remove all destroyers patrolling Dover then there are no spawns of new DD around Dover unless new ships are built or they are moved there)