PDA

View Full Version : Captain XO clashes aboard WW II subs

Bubblehead1980
07-21-10, 01:37 PM
Just wondering if anyone has read about clashes between the Captains and XO's on US subs in WW II that escalated into showdown type situations while on patrol. I know there were clashes no doubt , remember O Kane talking about clashes with the first CO of Wahoo but he did not push the subject too far and ultimately vindicated when the CO was relieved.

I find it inevitable that a few situations occur given the personalities on board a sub combined with the stress and close quarters, esp in WW II.

Nisgeis
07-21-10, 03:00 PM
Read 'War in the Boats' by Ruhe. It's quite a detailed account of the specifics of operating and life aboard S boats and fleet boats in the war. One of the Captains he serves under was overly nervous and concerned about placing the crew in a dangerous situation (caused by too many patrols without a break - five or six I think) and the crew were discussing what could be done about the situation. The were discussing it in the conning tower when the captain came in and as the radar was broken, glanced at what he thought was the open radar manual. Except it was the Navy regulations and was opened on the page about relieving a commanding officer. He didn't say anything and neither did anyone else.

After the Captain had some rest he went on to have several more outstanding patrols.

Jan Kyster
07-21-10, 03:07 PM
Yeah. "War in the Boats" by Capt. William J. Ruhe.

Ruhes captain "cracked" in action, had Ruhe threatened to be courtmartialed for mutiny... great story!

Chapter 5. Includes a hilarious attempt to camouflage the Crevalle! :rock:

/edit: damn you, Nisgeis! I was busy reading!! :rotfl2:

Nisgeis
07-21-10, 03:25 PM
Chapter 5. Includes a hilarious attempt to camouflage the Crevalle! :rock:

Ah yeah, the two guys coming back up s******ing. If that were me, I'd have checked to see what they were s******ing about.

Bubblehead1980
07-21-10, 07:15 PM
Thanks.The story about the navy reg book, could have swore that was in Wahoo by O Kane about his dealings with his CO before Morton took over, maybe it happened on both or I'm just getting them confused.

Nisgeis
07-22-10, 01:29 AM
It could have been... I've read so many books that it's hard to distinguish between them after a few years. War in the Boats is a good read though and definately has a nervous Captain.