PDA

View Full Version : Fall of the rising sun, no map contacts

tmdgm
07-18-10, 05:59 PM
Fresh from the atlantic uboats, I just installed Fall of the Rising sun and I don't get any map contact updates, regardless of the switch being selected in difficulty.

Is this normal? Any way to change? Do any of the other supermods have this function?

I admit I'd like to have the updates until I get used to everything.

Armistead
07-18-10, 08:28 PM
Haven't played it, but did you set your options in the office using the radio on the left?

tmdgm
07-18-10, 08:50 PM
yup, set options on the radio at the beginning of the campaign on the left

rein1705
07-18-10, 09:25 PM
Contact reports are sparse in FOTRS untill your several weeks out. Dont worry though, there out there, and plenty of them too. Hang in there buddy. I play FOTRS too.

Lil' Subsim
07-18-10, 09:31 PM
FOTRS here too, but with NSM 4.0 on, ships just sink way too fast though not the stock ships...

Raven79
07-19-10, 03:04 AM
You'll get only a few infos from command on where to find convoys n such. If you stay in an area longer and report in once a day, you'll eventually get more reports of movements there. Yet, you don't need to wait for them, I never do, just cruise around and do listening dives once in a while. You'll find much more than your map shows you.

tmdgm
07-19-10, 09:05 PM
I thought no map contact update meant when your sonar guy finds a ship, the bearing line is or is not shown on the map. That's what i was more referring to. Not so much radio contact updates.

Raven79
07-20-10, 12:53 AM
Ah, now I see.. nope, FOTRS doesn't use these heading indicators at all, since there was no way anyone could know where a contact was going until you found them a few times and calculated the course between the findings. Part of overall realism. I believe TMO has this, too? Not sure though.

These 'updates' you enable or disable are the fact that you enable or disable the standing order to the nav officer to keep the map updated and track positions of the enemy for you after a contact is found for the first time. If you turn this off, you have no way of telling how fast an enemy is moving and where he's going, since its symbol will stick to its location and not go anywhere anymore until you actually see it.
When you see it, you can easily guess its course and speed, provided you are experienced in this guessing part.
As I see it, noone would be stupid enough to tell their men to deliberately forget about keeping track of radar/sonar findings, so I keep this on to calculate speed and course using my map tools before I even try to get visual contact.

Sorry, your first post was a bit confusing, thought you ment the contacts that are placed on your map via info from HQ (Contact reports).

Capt. Morgan
07-21-10, 03:29 AM
:hmmm:
It's been a while since I played F.O.T.R.S., but I think I'd remember if it didn't have map contacts (by which, I assume you mean the symbols on the navigation map indicating the location of ships, and the sonar bearing lines that show when submerged).

I'm pretty sure they should be there, but you could ask in the F.O.T.R.S thread [http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147988] for a definitive answer.

WernherVonTrapp
07-21-10, 08:45 AM
Fresh from the atlantic uboats, I just installed Fall of the Rising sun and I don't get any map contact updates, regardless of the switch being selected in difficulty.

Is this normal? Any way to change? Do any of the other supermods have this function?

I admit I'd like to have the updates until I get used to everything.I'm currently Running RFB 2.0 with RSRDC and I don't have any Map Contact Updates either, even with the item unchecked in the Options Menu. I even installed the mod that replaces the sonar lines in RFB but, I still get nothing. Although, it is very early in 1942 so, maybe things will change once I get better sonar, radar or something. It certainly presents quite a challenge when trying to track ships or convoys. The only time I get any type of representation is with a visual contact.

Capt. Morgan
07-21-10, 10:53 AM
I'd still ask in the FOTRS forum to be sure, since it's based on TMO and TMO has map-contacts. It seems odd that they would remove them.

If they really have removed map-contacts, you could try using TMOplot, which restores map contacts for RFB, and might also work in FOTRS. There's also a mod that restores the Sonar lines for RFB2 which might help.

TMO plot
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=151

Hydrophone lines for RFB 2.0
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=1470

WernherVonTrapp
07-21-10, 12:32 PM
Capt. Morgan wrote:
There's also a mod that restores the Sonar lines for RFB2 which might help. I currently have that mod installed with RFB 2.0 but I still get no lines. Maybe it has something to do with RSRDC, since I'm running that on top of RFB.
UPDATE: Don't pay any attention to that man behind the curtain (i.e., my above comment)! Capt. Morgan just set me straight on the issue. Thanks Cap.

Capt. Morgan
07-21-10, 01:30 PM
I currently have that mod installed with RFB 2.0 but I still get no lines. ...

Hi Werner, check your PM's

tmdgm
07-21-10, 05:39 PM
thanks. i'll give that mod a try.

Actually looks like the mod doesn't restore the hydrophone lines. That's what I'm most interested.

Capt. Morgan
07-21-10, 07:17 PM
Hydrophone Lines for RFB2 should work, But the mod comes with two versions, both contained inside the main folder.

You have to choose which of the two you want (there are pictures to show the difference), and install one of them into your MODS folder. Installing the main folder into MODS won't do anything.
(sends a wink to Herr Von Trapp)

As for TMO plot, there are different ships in FOTRS, so it might not work.