PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer(s) for "campaign end revamp" mod

Bubblehead1980
07-17-10, 05:23 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=172358

So I have been doing the research for my "campaign end revamp" mod.I need someone who has the knowledge to help with this mod.I plan now to extend the campaign to end on Ocotber 31, 1945.Hostilities will end on August 15, 1945 as per history but a few japanese ships whose captain and crew are not aware or do not care that the war is over may be encountered.A player assigned to SubPac will recieve orders around 20 August to report to Tokyo Bay by September 1, 1945, uppon arrival the US fleet along with Allied ships will be at anchor in Tokyo Bay for the surrender on September 2, 1945.Player will be able to refuel at Tokyo also.Player will then be ordered to head to Pearl Harbor(Would like to make it where you sail to San Fransisco if homeport can be changed after surrender) upon clicking end campaign, war is over.The screen that says what you did after war etc then comes up(if someone knows how to design a better one feel free)

I know how to build the traffic so will build the traffic layer.What I need volunteers for as those who can change it so the campaign doesnt just end on August 15, who can add the messages(such as Nimitz's Aug 15 cease fire message and Halseys shoot them down in a friendly manner message) If possible would like this to be a JSGME ready mod so its user friendly.

Once have someone else on board, will a private discussion forum while under development.I would like to get to work on this soon.Thanks in advance.

fred8615
07-19-10, 08:36 AM
Have you considered the possibility that the August 15th end date is hard-coded in the game? Because I'm pretty sure it is, since there's nowhere in the mission or campaign files where the end of the war is mentioned or used. There's also the fact if you're at sea, you don't even get to return to your base, so if the game doesn't let you finish a patrol, it's not going to let you go beyond that anyway. So if it is hard-coded in the game, this mod isn't going to work at all.

Bubblehead1980
07-19-10, 12:26 PM
Have you considered the possibility that the August 15th end date is hard-coded in the game? Because I'm pretty sure it is, since there's nowhere in the mission or campaign files where the end of the war is mentioned or used. There's also the fact if you're at sea, you don't even get to return to your base, so if the game doesn't let you finish a patrol, it's not going to let you go beyond that anyway. So if it is hard-coded in the game, this mod isn't going to work at all.

I have but have been told it isnt, worth finding out though.

fred8615
07-19-10, 04:05 PM
Well if someone told you it could be changed, they should've told you where to change it.

Now one thing you could do is have it as a standalone mission/war patrol. That would probably work. However, for a standalone, the player can't choose their starting base. That has to be already in the mission. Different versions could be created for different bases. But they can choose which sub they want to use. So it's not an impossible thing, I just don't think you can use it as part of a campaign.

fred8615
07-19-10, 05:32 PM
Something just occurred to me. Are you maybe trying to add it as a choice in the Career start menu? Not actually trying to extend your last patrol so it will go past August 15th?

If so, then that is doable too. In fact, it would be like my Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start mod, only for after the war instead of before the start.

So if that is what you want, the best person to help you might be me. :D

peabody
07-19-10, 05:59 PM

You made that comment to me in the other thread you started. Is it a secret how you know that, and where it is changed? There may be many people willing to help, but not if the 'end' is hardcoded and it isn't possible, then the work is for nothing.
That is why I commented: "So the game end date is the first bit of info you need to start your project." You don't start building a house by painting it, you make sure you have a good foundation and go from there.

Peabody

Bubblehead1980
07-19-10, 08:48 PM
okay, well do you know if the end is hardcoded thing than cant be tweaked? As I have said I know little about this, so have trying to get those who have the expertise to get involved. I forget who it was who said they think its possible, its in another thread.

TabbyHunter
07-19-10, 11:37 PM
Im no moder, but i wish you luck in this!

fred8615
07-20-10, 09:29 AM
Hostilities will end on August 15, 1945 as per history but a few japanese ships whose captain and crew are not aware or do not care that the war is over may be encountered.
I think you're going to have a problem with this part too. As far as I know, either all Japanese flagged vessels will be hostile, or none will. You can't have some that will follow the surrender orders and some that won't. The only option there is to have ONLY the few Jap ships that won't surrender be available in your traffic.

Bubblehead1980
07-20-10, 03:37 PM
I think you're going to have a problem with this part too. As far as I know, either all Japanese flagged vessels will be hostile, or none will. You can't have some that will follow the surrender orders and some that won't. The only option there is to have ONLY the few Jap ships that won't surrender be available in your traffic.

I'm aware of this.Would just put a few Japanese ships around the Pacific, they will be hostile.

Nisgeis
07-20-10, 04:26 PM
Is there an actual 'end date'? I was always under the impression that at the end of the war all nations became neutral. If you set up a mission in 1946 I'm pretty sure all ships are neutral and won't attack. So, the end of the war would just be a scripted radio message no? Everything else carries on and the countries just don't fire on one another (unless you fire first).

EDIT: For a mixed bag of hostile and non hostile Japanese ships, you could set up a new nationailty - Hostile Japan and have them sail around.

Munchausen
07-21-10, 11:36 AM
For a mixed bag of hostile and non hostile Japanese ships, you could set up a new nationailty - Hostile Japan and have them sail around.

:hmmm: I always wondered why nobody ever did that when setting up a group of ships for target practice. Just add another nationality. 'Though, for the Japanese, you could also do it the other way 'round ... keep the original fleet as hostile and add "Defeated Japanese" as the new nationality.