PDA

View Full Version : new to sh4 from sh3

tmdgm
07-16-10, 10:32 PM
Is there any patch's for SH4? similar to 1.4b for SH3? I noticed it autoupdated when i installed.

Also, is there like a gwx for sh4?

Didn't see a sticky up top for newbs

Ducimus
07-16-10, 10:34 PM
Get the UBM add on if you haven't already. Metaphorically speaking, its your key to the city.

edit:

And whatever you do, don't play stock. you'll only traumatize yourself.

*For fleet boats, you have the following supermods:

Real Fleet boat
Fall of the Rising Sun
Trigger Maru Overhauled

If none of those grab you, there's always "Game fixes only".

All supermods will require UBM. It came bundled with patch 1.5

* For Uboats there is currently:
Operation Monsun.

Don't let the name fool you, its a full on atlantic supermod.

Eventually they'll be "Nine Delta Two" (type 9D2 only mod, in similar vein to how SH5 focuses only on the Type 7) to add to the uboat list, but its still a work in progress.

Sailor Steve
07-17-10, 12:02 AM
I can't really add anything to what Ducimus said; he named all the choices, and they're all good ones.

There are four regular patches, just like in SH3, and the fifth 'pay-for' patch, which also adds u-boats and fixes several of the older problems.

You'll find SH4 to be a very good sim, with some improvements over SH3 which do make a difference. To me, anyway.

Welcome to the dark side. :D

sergei
07-17-10, 04:18 AM
Ducimus has all the bases covered here, so I'll just say -
Welcome to SH4 :DL

Admiral8Q
07-17-10, 05:13 AM
And whatever you do, don't play stock. you'll only traumatize yourself.

Heh heh! Yes you will! :yep:

tmdgm
07-17-10, 07:28 AM
heh heh, ok i just started a stock campaign. Haven't noticed anything yet. That bad huh?

UBM? Is that the uboat missions? I have the gold edition which includes uboat missions. How do I know if I have 1.5?

On the supermods, where do i find them? I'm guessing you can only use one? Which do you personally like?

Real Fleet boat
Fall of the Rising Sun
Trigger Maru Overhauled

Admiral8Q
07-17-10, 07:45 AM
On the supermods, where do i find them? I'm guessing you can only use one? Which do you personally like?

Real Fleet boat
Fall of the Rising Sun
Trigger Maru Overhauled
That depends on what you like. RFB is realistic. TMO is difficult.

I personally like TMO. Ducimus and everyone else that contributed has made SH4... for a lack of a better expletive... BLOODY *********G AWESOME! :rock:

WernherVonTrapp
07-17-10, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the Pacific, tmdgm.:yeah:

sergei
07-17-10, 09:03 AM
I have the gold edition which includes uboat missions. How do I know if I have 1.5?

The Gold Edition (inc. UBM) is patched up to 1.5 :yep:

To find supermods, try this thread
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786
and scroll down to the 'Large Super Mods' section.

Raven79
07-17-10, 09:27 AM
Just to have it mentioned in detail; Fall of the rising sun is the middle way between realistic and difficult, I'd say. It's my favourite up to now and the 1.3 version of it is current for english language. (With 1.4 still in the works.)

Don't forget getting JSGME, a small tool that helps you enable/disable any mods before playing. (Also referred to as Generic Mod Enabler.)

Other than that, have a great time discovering which mod you like best :)

tmdgm
07-17-10, 10:01 AM
thanks for the info. much appreciated.

but i'm confused on the difference between realistic and difficult. I always thought they were typically one and the same. So is that saying realistic is easier?

i'm typically a realistic person myself. If the crew did it, i want to be able to do it. However I like having the option to bypass some of it since I don't have the time to calculate gyro angles by hand for example :)

tmdgm
07-17-10, 10:06 AM
also, looks like there is environment mods. Which one you gusy recommend? I do have an older system however.

amd 64 3500+
geforce 6800gt
2 gb ram

sergei
07-17-10, 10:21 AM
also, looks like there is environment mods. Which one you gusy recommend?

Typically not needed if you chose a supermod.
TMO, RFB and FOTRS come with their own environment included.