PDA

View Full Version : USS Pampanito virtual 360 panographic tour

Rockin Robbins
07-15-10, 12:16 PM
Well, this may have been posted somewhere before but if so I sure missed it. My brother sent it to me and this is just an outstanding tour of places on the sub you may be curious about but have never had the opportunity to see.

For instance, here is the ice cream freezer, living securely amongst the 36 bunks of the enlisted crew's sleeping quarters!
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/Silent%20Hunter%204/screenshot81.jpg

Here's the link (http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_pampanito/index.html). Now you can waste a couple of hours with your jaw draggin the deck, as I just did. Enjoy!

WarlordATF
07-15-10, 12:37 PM
Thats really cool! Thank You for posting this! I spent almost a half hour just in the control room. Its interesting to see how close and how different our interior is.

I wish we had a complete interior for our fleetboats, i know its not needed for game play but sometimes i like to go to the captains cabin and just chill while on patrol. It would be great to have the other rooms to explore or hang out in.

FlakMonkeys Type 7 interior got me playing SH3 again just so i could watch the engines run,visit the crew quarters and the forward compartments. I hope that one day we have a simular interior for our boats. U-Boats are fun, but i'll always prefer a good old Made in USA Fleetboat!

Bubblehead1980
07-15-10, 01:42 PM
A full interior is needed since its a SIM and subs dont fight all the time and captain wouldnt spend all his time in con or on bridge, glad ducimus added the pseudo captains cabin, its nice and adds to the immersion.nice post robbins

ichso
07-15-10, 01:55 PM
I know this tour already, but did they add more pictures to it ?
I remember half of them at most. The whole thing is greatly done, really.

And regarding the ship itself: I want one ! :D

sergei
07-15-10, 02:02 PM
Very interesting link RR.
Thanks. :up:
I can see myself spending the rest of the evening on this.

nikimcbee
07-15-10, 03:21 PM
It's pretty cool, worth the trip. If you go, ask them if they still have the subsim almanac:hmmm:

Ducimus
07-15-10, 05:55 PM
Nice find!

Subnuts
07-15-10, 06:27 PM
Damn...I wish the Lionfish was in as good a shape as the Pampanito.

mookiemookie
07-15-10, 07:08 PM
It's in beautiful shape. The fact that she's in water and bobbing around is also fun. Helps to imagine what life was really like on board.

Wilcke
07-16-10, 11:14 AM
Thanks RR,

Will be visiting Pampanito this fall with my two girls. Then its burgers, chili cheese fries and Sierra Nevada Ale at Reds Java House by the Bay Bridge footings.

Platapus
07-16-10, 12:32 PM
Dumb question from a lubber o' land :88)

How well lit were submarines during WWII?

Clearly the images in the link are well lit to allow the visitors to see everything, but in real life, how brightly lit would these rooms be?

Would they be as brightly lit as in these images?????

Since every single inch of space was used, I would imagine that everything would be lit so the crew could see what they were reaching fer.

Platapus
07-16-10, 01:16 PM
Here's the link (http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_pampanito/index.html). Now you can waste a couple of hours with your jaw draggin the deck, as I just did. Enjoy!

You ain't kiddin. What a great site. I never thought I would see the day when Delta and Titan silo imagery would be released to the public. Sure brought back memories.

We need more sites like this. Thanks for posting.

One think that really struck me was how small the Submarine compartments were. Not like it is in Hollywood. One of my favourite sub movies is Destination Tokyo but the way Hollywood has the submarine, it is huge on the inside. Not like it was in reality.

What a cool site. Sites like this should be in a separate sticky. :yep:

razark
07-16-10, 01:46 PM
One think that really struck me was how small the Submarine compartments were. Not like it is in Hollywood. One of my favourite sub movies is Destination Tokyo but the way Hollywood has the submarine, it is huge on the inside. Not like it was in reality.

Even visiting one of these boats doesn't give you a true idea of how small they are. To get the full effect, they should only give tours to groups of 50 people or more, all of whom haven't showered for at least a week.

hawk2495
07-16-10, 02:02 PM
Awesome post RR! Just killed an hour looking at that beauty.