PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed With Transporation

Subnuts
07-11-10, 05:08 PM
Yes, it's me again, with yet another issue that needs to be addressed. We have an itinerary, we have accommodations, we have dates, my Diabetes shouldn't be an issue, but I've still got one little problem...

My mom is nagging me about the transportation issue again. I can take a Greyhound bus from Hartford to Boston, and from Boston to Hartford at the beginning and end of the meet without much of a hassle. She wants to go on vacation with two of her sisters to Vermont while I'm away, wants to know when and where I'll end up at the end of the meet, and seems to have a low opinion of grown men ("yes, I know you get along well online, but they are grown men, and they will strand you!") in general.

Looking at Greyhound's website, I can get on a bus at 9:15 and arrive at the bus stop in Boston at 11:45. For returning, I could either take the 7:30 PM bus on the 26th, or take a 9:30, 11:30, or 1:00 bus on the 27th, assuming I'm still in Boston. I'd love to stick around for a fifth day, but the first option is looking pretty inviting right now.

Now, I don't want to overly encumber anyone here, but I'm going to need some kind of way of getting between the airport and the Greyhound station if I end up taking this route. I can enlist some help from my family hauling my ass between Hartford and home, but Boston is a little tricky. I'm still a total noobie when it comes to SUBSIM meets, but I'd be incredibly appreciative to anyone who could help me a little bit with transportation. I'm starting to realize how difficult life can be without a car! :damn:

August
07-11-10, 05:26 PM
Get yourself to Providence Rhode Island by either train or bus and i'll come get you. I'll also drop you off at the Providence train station or bus station at the end of the meet. Hows that?

Subnuts
07-11-10, 06:29 PM
Get yourself to Providence Rhode Island by either train or bus and i'll come get you. I'll also drop you off at the Providence train station or bus station at the end of the meet. Hows that?

Peter Pan Bus Lines has an express bus from Manchester, Ct to Providence arriving at 2:45, and a bus returning to Manchester from Providence on the 27th departing at 3:00. If I take up your offer, do those times seem reasonable? I've also checked Greyhound's schedules, but each route seems to take five hours to go from Hartford to Providence, due to their roundabout schedule and the two hour layover before transferring. Most of them end up in Boston anyway!

August
07-11-10, 06:40 PM
Peter Pan Bus Lines has an express bus from Manchester, Ct to Providence arriving at 2:45, and a bus returning to Manchester from Providence on the 27th departing at 3:00. If I take up your offer, do those times seem reasonable? I've also checked Greyhound's schedules, but each route seems to take five hours to go from Hartford to Providence, due to their roundabout schedule and the two hour layover before transferring. Most of them end up in Boston anyway!

Arriving 2:45 pm, Thursday the 23rd? Yeah I think we can handle that.

Subnuts
07-11-10, 07:42 PM
Arriving 2:45 pm, Thursday the 23rd? Yeah I think we can handle that.

An express bus departs the same terminal at 3 PM on the 27th that'll drop me off a half mile from my house. Sound like a plan? :hmmm:

August
07-11-10, 08:10 PM
An express bus departs the same terminal at 3 PM on the 27th that'll drop me off a half mile from my house. Sound like a plan? :hmmm:

Sure.

nikimcbee
07-12-10, 02:47 PM
Speaking of getting around.... How are we getting around? Should I get a rental car?

August
07-12-10, 03:30 PM
Speaking of getting around.... How are we getting around? Should I get a rental car?

AFAIK there have been no plans regarding ground transportation set as of yet. You could still rent your own wheels if you want to.