PDA

View Full Version : "Stay With'em Until They're On The Bottom, Dick"

cdrsubron7
07-10-10, 06:18 PM
I'm not normally in the habit of writing stories about the ships I sink while playing SHIV, but this time I will. This particular encounter concerns the Yamato. This was my first encounter with the Yamato in quite some time. I usually play TMO with the latest version of RSRDC and I guess it was my luck to have no encounters with the Yamato through umpteen patrols and many careers.

Well, that all changed the other night. I was on patrol in the USS Apogon (SS-308). This was her third patrol out of Midway. The patrol started on Jan 3rd, 1944. The USS Apogon was assigned to patrol an area just north of Iwo Jima for 72 hours. After reaching the assigned area the Apogon encountered nothing but heavy seas and rain. After the 72 hours ended the Apogon headed north patolling along the shipping lanes between the Marianas and Tokyo Bay. Four days later the Apogon was about 100 miles south of Tokyo Bay. It was just about dusk when the Apogon's radar detected four ships off to the SE heading north at high speed, probable destination Tokyo Bay.

After an intercept course was plotted, the Apogon leaped ahead at flank speed to reach the intercept point. Just as the Apogon reached the the intercept point the lookouts on the Apogon's bridge spotted a destroyer coming on fast at about 8,000 yds. With the order for periscope depth given the Apogon quietly slipped beneath the waves. Now with the periscope up I get my first good look at what the Apogon has been tracking. The destroyer sighted by the lookouts is an Asashio class with a Fubuki class bringing up the rear. The two ships in the middle are a Yamato class battleship followed by a Agano class light cruiser.

With the Apogon now in a good firing position off the Yamato's port bow, firing of the bow tubes began at 2,600 yds. I always try to put one of my first torpedoes in the warship's bow so that in case the ship does not sink after all torpedoes have hit I have at least a chance of slowing the warship down insuring a second shot at her. When a warship is bow down in the water they don't make quite as much speed. With all bow tubes fired, I observed fives hits on the battleship (one was a dud). Now the Apogon goes to hard left rudder and all ahead flank to bring the stern tubes to bear. After the Apogon has reversed course and a new setup is made all four stern tubes are fired. With both of the DDs converging on the Apogon the plug is pulled and the Apogon heads for the depths and hopefully safety. Sometimes I think I'm a rank amateur at this game, I got no hits from the stern tubes that were fired. Concluding I had more time than I thought before the DDs reached me I had fired in haste thus missed my opportunity to finish off the Yamato.

With the Apogon now leveled off at 550 ft and rigged for silent running, sound reports the DDs closing in. The DDs start dropping DCs all over the place, but amazingly none come very close to the Apogon. A little over an hour later the pinging from the DDs begins to fade as the DDs turn north and take off at high speed. Twenty minutes later with the Apogon at radar depth, two blips are picked up, one at 18,000 yds heading north at high speed and another at about 16,000 yds moving at a slower speed of 8 knots. Hopefully, that second one is our target. Surfacing the Apogon heads off to the nw on an endround to gain new position and finished off her victim.

An hour later with the the Apogon at periscope depth and in position for another attack. Ten minutes later through the periscope I can see the Yamato coming into view making 8 knots and still heading north. Again in position off the Yamato's port bow four bow tubes are fired one at a time. The first one is again aimed at the bow just forward of turret #1, the second is aimed at a point under turret #2, the third under the bridge, the forth under the stack. #1 hits as aimed but no explosion (another dud), #2 hits as aimed with a huge explosion sending debris into the air, #3 hits under the bridge as planned sending up another huge explosion and more debris. Fires break out forward sending dense smoke reaching toward the sky. #4 hits and the ensuing explosion shakes the Apogon 2,000 yds away. Flames burst out all over the ship, secondary explosions begin shaking the Yamato to pieces. All members on duty in the conning tower get to take a look through the periscope at the Yamato's death throes.

An hour later with the Apogon on the surface recharging her batteries all that can be seen is some debris floating on the surface of the ocean.

Two days later with the Apogon patrolling the same area another task force is picked up heading south from Tokyo Bay. After racing at high speed to get in position for another attack, I'm looking at another Yamato class BB heading away from the Apogon. Unfortunately this time the Task Force makes a course adjustment and heads of to the SW at high speed leaving the Apogon out in the proverbial left field, 10,000 yds away. I only had four torpedoes left on board at this time so I doubt I could have done much damage. :haha:

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little story. Here I go without seeing the Yamato for months and months and here I see two of them within an hour of each other. :har:

Sorry I don't have any screenies for you, but I got so engrossed in what I was doing I clean forgot about taking any. I can at least show you the USS Apogon (SS-308)

http://i31.tinypic.com/2095xsg.jpg

Armistead
07-10-10, 09:25 PM
Great story. Nothing beats sinking the Y. If you're playing RSRD, you've got the Battle of Phillipine Sea coming up soon, that's a TF to go after and of course the Y is in the group. Then you can go after the Y again in October during the battle of Leyte.

You're great with stories, so don't forget the SS's next time....:salute:

magic452
07-11-10, 01:05 AM
Good story enjoyed it very much. :yeah:

Very nice looking boat you've got there. :up::up:

Magic

sergei
07-11-10, 04:28 AM
Good story cdrsubron7.
That's a mean lookin' boat you got there.
And I love the thread title. That's Mush Morton isn't it?

cdrsubron7
07-11-10, 10:22 AM
Good story cdrsubron7.
That's a mean lookin' boat you got there.
And I love the thread title. That's Mush Morton isn't it?

Glad you like the story, guys. I always get a kick out of writing them.

You're correct, sergei. The title is a Mush Morton quote.

Admiral8Q
07-11-10, 07:44 PM
cdrsubron7, got to take the time to fire those torps! ;)

cdrsubron7
07-11-10, 08:02 PM
cdrsubron7, got to take the time to fire those torps! ;)

Point taken. :salute:

Admiral8Q
07-11-10, 08:47 PM
Well written story by the way! :cool:

cdrsubron7
07-12-10, 08:00 AM
Well written story by the way! :cool:

Thanks. :DL