PDA

View Full Version : Simple Problem

Theremster
07-10-10, 04:36 PM
Hey guys,

Total newb here, just wondering how to turn on the radar. Left clicking on it is not working, and i am running about 10 feet deep. Am i missing something really dumb? The icon to "turn radar on/off" is also not lit up, so i cannot do it that way either,

thanks,

Theremster

rein1705
07-10-10, 05:01 PM
is your boat equipped with ether surface or air radar sets? are you using any mods? In vanilla i dint think you can use radar underwater at all.

Raven79
07-10-10, 05:27 PM
Also, early war there simply is no radar. In time you can purchase it in the harbor and after that, begin to use it. Vanilla has 40ft radar depth.

Theremster
07-10-10, 05:40 PM
Ohhh ok, i am just beginning, first mission in 1942 and am really having a hard time with stuff. Is it normal to begin with a sub that does not go very deep?

Armistead
07-10-10, 06:04 PM
Your sub will go deeper. I think the shallow depth gauge stops at 165, but if you look under the dial, you'll see a tab that you an click and it will switch it to the deeper dive dial. You can change each dial by clicking the tab beneath it.

You can also keep diving by hitting the D key. I assume stock has this or an icon you can click, mods differ. You just have to remember to stop the dive, mine is the A key to level. Hit F1 and look at your shortcut commands for complete info.

I think you can obtain air radar at the start of the war in stock or at least after one patrol, just give yourself some renown at the start to purchase it with. Surface radar will become available after a patrol or two depending on mods, ect.

You can raise your air radar by pressing the T key while submerged at scope depth to check for planes before you surface.

rein1705
07-10-10, 06:13 PM
Which sub do you have? S-boats will crush at 250-300 feet I 've had them down to 300 but they DIDNT like it and i wouldn't advise diving that deep unless you need to.

Theremster
07-10-10, 07:18 PM
I only have two dive options, the max is 165....when i click that tab twice, it alternates between shallow and deep dive gauges, the deep one stop at 165, I am currently captaining the American Porpoise.

rein1705
07-10-10, 09:18 PM
That is odd, however i have never commanded a porpoise class in campaign myself. I almost always choose an S-18 class or a Sargo. By pressing "D" you should be able to dive below 165 feet just remember to press "A" when you want to level off at a dept you like.

And now for a movie quote: "150 feet?, Oh she'll go all the way to the bottom if we don't stop her. We just normally dont dive under 150 any deeper than that the leaks start to overwhelm the pumps" _U-571 the S-33

TWBoats
07-29-10, 03:08 AM
I'm having the same problem with the radar, and I'm most certainly on the surface. Air Search radar is installed, but no way apparant to turn it on. :damn:

sergei
07-29-10, 04:40 AM
There is no on/off switch for the air search radar.
When you surface it turns itself on.

Raven79
07-29-10, 06:20 AM
Aye, the radar station is only for the (later purchaseable) ship search radar.
Aircraft will be shown on your map as soon as they come into range (speed always saying "very fast" or the like).

WernherVonTrapp
07-29-10, 08:25 AM
I only have two dive options, the max is 165....when i click that tab twice, it alternates between shallow and deep dive gauges, the deep one stop at 165, I am currently captaining the American Porpoise. You only have to click the tab once, that brings up the Deep-Dive guage. Clicking twice will bring you back to the standard guage again.

TWBoats
07-29-10, 08:29 AM
Interesting. However, I don't seem to be getting radar alerts to aircraft either. I'm using a stock copy with the 1.2 and 1.3 patches. In just the stock form (prior to patching) the radar system seemed to work perfectly, both for air, and sea contacts.

sergei
07-29-10, 09:14 AM
Patch it up to 1.4, see if that solves the problem.

tater
07-29-10, 09:16 AM
There were numerous problems with the radar in the stock game. I seem to recall it only worked in certain compass directions, etc.

Raven79
07-29-10, 10:44 AM
Yup, but 1.4 fixed most of that.