PDA

View Full Version : distance....ship type...Speed?

TabbyHunter
07-09-10, 01:24 AM
Comeing from SH3, i was expecting to have the tab on the scope that told me what the ship was, range(biggest thing) and speed. Is there a tab i can open, or a mod i can get for this?

sergei
07-09-10, 02:16 AM
The slide out panel on the top left.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3458/target1n.jpg

Pisces
07-09-10, 04:17 AM
Comeing from SH3, i was expecting to have the tab on the scope that told me what the ship was, range(biggest thing) and speed. Is there a tab i can open, or a mod i can get for this?Actually, no!, range is not the most important thing, speed is! Speed determines how much the torpedos need to be deflected. Range is only important if the torpedos need to turn much after firing. It's only for a slight correction. But if you do manual targeting, 2 range and bearing measurements with the periscope can be used to let the TDC calculate the path of the target and therefore it's speed.

This thread contains the most information about manual targeting with the US TDC.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146795

TabbyHunter
07-09-10, 04:30 AM
seeing as i cant the broad side of a non moveing HMS Revenge, at 500 meters. i dont think i will ever use manual. So for me, range is the biggest thing.

Platapus
07-09-10, 12:34 PM
seeing as i cant the broad side of a non moveing HMS Revenge, at 500 meters. i dont think i will ever use manual. So for me, range is the biggest thing.

Well, now that you mention it, sinking non-moving targets is an excellent way to learn manual targeting.

First, make a traitorous career profile and keep telling yourself that this is just a stupid video game.

Then leave Pearl Harbor and find a non-moving American ship. Start practicing your manual set up. Start using the stad and determining the AoB. Take your time. Speed in calculating attacks only comes after practice.

It would be kinda nice if the game allowed you to load practice torpedoes, but in any case, since this is just a SVG, go head and sink a few ships (or try to. Once you are the menace of sinking stationary ships, find one that is moving slowly.

This is what I did when I had problems moving from SH3 to SH4. I found it a good way to get used to the SH4 GUI in manual targeting.

razark
07-09-10, 01:43 PM
Well, now that you mention it, sinking non-moving targets is an excellent way to learn manual targeting.

First, make a traitorous career profile and keep telling yourself that this is just a stupid video game.

Then leave Pearl Harbor and find a non-moving American ship. Start practicing your manual set up. Start using the stad and determining the AoB. Take your time. Speed in calculating attacks only comes after practice.

It would be kinda nice if the game allowed you to load practice torpedoes, but in any case, since this is just a SVG, go head and sink a few ships (or try to. Once you are the menace of sinking stationary ships, find one that is moving slowly.

This is what I did when I had problems moving from SH3 to SH4. I found it a good way to get used to the SH4 GUI in manual targeting.

I started with the torpedo practice mission. Once I got that one down, I moved on to the navigation training mission. It's got a couple of ships, and they're not directly crossing your bow. Gives a bit more variety to the practice.