PDA

View Full Version : Aft torpedoes- noob question

Flaxpants
06-30-10, 12:46 AM
Hi all, new around here and was wondering about the use of the aft torpedoes. Do I need to do anything differently with regards launching these (turn the boat around etc..)? What considerations, if any, must I take into account when firing one from the back? Or can I just treat it like any other torpedo?
Cheers in advance!

Gerald
06-30-10, 01:20 AM
Hi all, new around here and was wondering about the use of the aft torpedoes. Do I need to do anything differently with regards launching these (turn the boat around etc..)? What considerations, if any, must I take into account when firing one from the back? Or can I just treat it like any other torpedo?
Cheers in advance!
Aft eels,can you take care of with your scope,only change the direction,for example 180deg,
(turn around) no turn the boats at all,well some adjust can take place. :salute:

maillemaker
06-30-10, 08:11 AM
If you are doing manual targeting you may need to adjust your AoB when you switch to the rear tubes, but other than that, they work just like the front ones.

Steve

frau kaleun
06-30-10, 10:07 AM
As far as "turning the boat around" goes... yeah, if you're using the aft tube(s) you should be targeting something that's behind you rather than in front of you, so if you want or need to set up a shot from the stern you will need to adjust your course accordingly if the target is off your bow rather than astern of you already. But that should go without saying, I think.

Pisces
06-30-10, 11:23 AM
Just set the AOB needle in the TDC screen (or on the notepad) into the direction as it passes through your view. Target passes from right to left then the needle goes to the left. Simple rule to remember. Do make sure the right tube is selected. Or Bernard will push the fire button.

Jimbuna
06-30-10, 02:45 PM
Treat them like your forward tubes....but turn the aft toward the target first :DL

Obltn Strand
06-30-10, 08:40 PM
I consider aft torpedoes to be secondary weapon. Good to finish off targets that won't go down.

However in convoy attacks they become more useful.

In submerged attack when/if you manage to position yourself between columns an easy target can be aquired at point blank range.

In surfaced attack when turning away to flee one additional eel can be fired in the mix.

desirableroasted
06-30-10, 08:56 PM
In a convoy attack, you probably want the advantage of several forward tubes.

In a single attack, however, I try to position for the rear attack. The attack setup is the same (just 180 off), the tactics are the same, it all works the same.

I do save one rear eel for defense, but I have rarely needed it. You can mow down a destroyer with a rear eel, but it's hardly worth it.

Flaxpants
06-30-10, 10:05 PM
Ok great, that clears it up for me thanks. I'm still waiting on the darn game to arrive, however, its giving me a great opportunity to do my homework first.
By the way, who is Bernard?

Snestorm
06-30-10, 10:24 PM
I find your pre-education method to be very wise.

Bernard is a very nice sailor who accepts responsability for many kaleuns' mistakes.
(Scapegoat).

Flaxpants
06-30-10, 10:44 PM
Ah well in that case I'd better make sure I have a Bernard or two on my maiden voyage. What a useful concept!

Snestorm
06-30-10, 10:55 PM
While others fire him out the torpedo tube, or deposit him on foreign soil, I always make an effort to rescue him.

The payback with loyalty is fantastic.

frau kaleun
07-01-10, 08:32 AM
By the way, who is Bernard?

Scattered amongst the posts in this thread is a pictorial history of some of his exploits...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=84773

In fact Bernard's origins are to be found in the very first post, where Dowly chose that name for his pole-dancing crewman... the rest is history.