PDA

View Full Version : Emigres from Ubi's forums..??

Deephunter
06-28-10, 10:56 PM
Hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes here..But...

I'm sure there are several of us that have "migrated" here on a regular basis from Ubi's SH4's forum since the "shake-up" a couple of months back. If so, raise your hand and give your old buddies a chance to know who is here, so's we can pick up where we left off....:woot:

Raven79
06-28-10, 11:30 PM
:salute: formerly known as RavenITS over at UBI.. yet, I just abandoned their forums long time ago and ended up here to learn about modding etc. ;)

magic452
06-29-10, 01:37 AM
I haven't been on UBI for a couple of weeks now, it's kind of screwed up right now.

Magic

WhiteKnight77
06-30-10, 03:40 PM
I used to frequent many of Ubi's forums, but ran into a bit of trouble when I outed a poser who claimed he was a GB though it was actually his big brother. Posing is a big no-no and I bet the brother got his chops busted for telling his little brother some sensitive information.

The fact that this is the newest Ubi game I own and will not by any new ones due to DRM and support issues not to mention the attitudes of Ubi employees that make one go :damn: I have practially stopped going there even through other means. May their stock drop even further than what it is (€6.19, down from €32+ 2 years ago) now.

Nisgeis
06-30-10, 03:55 PM
I'm sure there are several of us that have "migrated" here on a regular basis from Ubi's SH4's forum since the "shake-up" a couple of months back.

Welcome aboard to everyone who migrated. What was the shake up about?

I used to frequent many of Ubi's forums, but ran into a bit of trouble when I outed a poser who claimed he was a GB though it was actually his big brother.

What's a GB?

I'm goin' down
06-30-10, 04:16 PM
what is ubi?

Deephunter
06-30-10, 04:25 PM
Welcome aboard to everyone who migrated. What was the shake up about?

What's a GB?

Thanks Skipper...
A couple of months back the last of the sub moderators resigned (the others had been trickling out over the course of several months...). He had been doing the job singlehanded, and Ubi, in their infinite wisdom brought in people from other non-sub forums as moderators. God only knows what they do as I've never seen anyone of them post anything (apart from the original "This is me" post...), or lend a hand as other moderators did. Ever since then activity has dwindled down to a few (you can count them with one hand) posts a day....

cdrsubron7
06-30-10, 05:24 PM
I have to agree. The Ubi SHIV Forums are no longer what they used to be, the real people who made that forum great are slowing disappearing. Besides you get better information about what is going on with naval simulations here than you ever did at Ubisoft. :D :yeah:

Nisgeis
06-30-10, 05:35 PM
what is ubi?

Don't be silly. It's German for 'Great'. Or is that Uber? :hmmm:

But seriously what's a GB? I keep thinking 'Gargle Blaster'.

I'm goin' down
06-30-10, 06:03 PM
I thought ubi was forum that I had not heard about.

G2B
06-30-10, 06:44 PM
ubi is that place you go to after you buy SH4 looking for any patches, then you find the thread about TMO or RFB that brings you here to Subsim. Then you realize this is where they keep all the good stuff along with great Captains to help you figure it all out.

Armistead
06-30-10, 07:21 PM
Think everyone knows I'm MWolfe there, but I've always visited both, but with Tambor gone and the forums still screwed up it seems to be on life support and I seldom sign in there anymore.. Great group there and many come here, so hopefully the rest will at least come visit.

I'm goin' down
06-30-10, 08:30 PM
:haha::haha::haha: ridiculous, but true!!

G2B
06-30-10, 09:13 PM
Think everyone knows I'm MWolfe there, but I've always visited both, but with Tambor gone and the forums still screwed up it seems to be on life support and I seldom sign in there anymore.. Great group there and many come here, so hopefully the rest will at least come visit.

Just not quite the same without Tambor. The forum just seems to have lost that bit of spark and the sceenshot contest is all but gone :wah:

Deephunter
06-30-10, 11:31 PM
MW/Armistead....Finally tracked you down...Thought you could hide from the long arm of the law, did you..?? :arrgh!:
G2B...You're right....It was a fun place...It's more like a deserted western town now...

WhiteKnight77
07-01-10, 07:51 AM
GB = Green Beret.

Ubi has removed most of the older mods in all of the forums. I was a mod in the Splinter Cell forums (I have followed the game since the first version came out though haven't bought one with the release of Chaos Theory), but was canned because I wouldn't toe the company line so to speak. Others were canned for the same reason. Others became burnt out. I had been a member at Ubi from October 2001. I can't wait for Ubi to sink themselves as I will get the last laugh (though up today, their stock has dropped $35 from the high of 2 years ago to under7 Euro).

Deephunter
07-01-10, 09:38 AM
I see now...Ubi is following the "Shoot yourself in the Foot" model of doing business...Very clever...:rotfl2:

WhiteKnight77
07-01-10, 03:58 PM
Make no mistake, all public video game publishing companies have had their stock lose value over the last couple of years, but from what I see, Ubi has lost the most compared to others.

Still, Ubi is shooting themselves in the foot. They really failed at Business 101. They keep throwing the customers they already have away while trying to attract more. To me it's a :damn: type of thing.

Nisgeis
07-01-10, 04:16 PM
GB = Green Beret.

Oh dear, I feel so inadequate. What's a Green Beret, in the context of the Ubi Forums and why is it such a big deal to out someone as not being one, or even the brother of one?

McHibbins
07-01-10, 04:22 PM
Ubi Forums ??? I´ve never been there...:nope:

longam
07-01-10, 04:56 PM
I use to visit there back in the day, but it was more like a general chat forum than anything else.

I'm goin' down
07-01-10, 06:26 PM
the stock has dropped because CaptainMattJ has sunk all of the targets, so fewer purchase the game.

Admiral8Q
07-02-10, 12:47 AM
Oh no, not one of those again... :nope: :roll:

AVGWarhawk
07-02-10, 07:17 AM
It has been awhile since I visited the UBI forums. Sorry to hear of this. It was a good forum and quite civil.

Rockin Robbins
07-02-10, 11:02 AM
Their problems were started by some former moderators who loved to start irrelevant threads (Post Your Shoesize Here!!!) having nothing to do with submarining, and who took their fights over another supposedly related website over to Ubi forums. They played favorites, were condescending, arbitrary, heavy-handed and it was good they exited. Unfortunately, that left Tambor all to himself.

However, it still has a few good people. I drop in once in awhile to see if one of them has said anything interesting and sometimes respond. But Ubi forums is not Subsim. Ubi forums is Hardee's hamburgers but with more roaches. Subsim is Ruth's Cris Steakhouse without the expense.

I'm goin' down
07-02-10, 11:56 AM
I did not know the site existed until yesterday. I just paid it a visit. It is outdated. Under the major mods category, several are out of date, for example. Under the mods category, not many are listed, although I did see the joe haifisch (white shark) mod under animals.

WhiteKnight77
07-02-10, 07:15 PM
Oh dear, I feel so inadequate. What's a Green Beret, in the context of the Ubi Forums and why is it such a big deal to out someone as not being one, or even the brother of one?

Green Berets are members of the US Army that have attended the USAJFKSWCS (http://www.soc.mil/swcs/Command.html) at Ft. Bragg. They are special forces members who work well behind enemy lines during times of war or prior to a war and recruit and teach locals guerilla warfare type tactics. There is even a site to verify people who claim to be Navy SEALs called VeriSEAL (http://www.veriseal.org/) (which I have used to out a fake SEAL previously).

It is also illegal in the States now to claim to have won, wear, manufacture and sell any military decoration or award with the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. Part of this was due in part to people claiming to be members of special forces units when they actually weren't to gain "priviledges" that they were not entitled to where previously it only extended to claims of having won the Medal of Honor.

As I said, apparently this kid was given some sensitive information and broadcast it across the internet and is not something the Army is ready to let out of the bag. This kid did this on the Ubi forums. It is not illegal to be the say that you are the brother of a Green Beret, just claiming to be one. I have an aquaintence who is a former GB who was an instructor at JFKSWC prior to his retirement and still works there as a civilian in developing video training materials similar to VBS. He really dislikes it when people claim to be a GB. There is a book called Masters of Chaos that has a mission he was on in Iraq and had to call in fighter support in within 500 yards of his buddies. Crazy stuff. Grab the book, his name is the first on the Cast of Characters page.

Nisgeis
07-03-10, 02:07 AM
That's surprising and sad that someone would do that on the Ubi forums (or anywhere). Thanks for the explanation.