PDA

View Full Version : question about co2 level

nappy
05-20-10, 02:24 AM
Aight, so my CO2 level is rising. im currently at 15% in my last save game

At what level should i start to become conserned ?
What happends when it gets too high? does my guys start to keel over. 1 by 1?
or do they all die suddenly and horribly at the same time?

inquring minds wants to know :)

nappy-at-work-and-cant-try-before-i-get-home

Gibus
05-20-10, 02:41 AM
The risk of death appears at concentrations above 10%.
I think the game will tolerate a higher rate, but the best to find out is to experiment.
You should ban smoking crew ...

Diopos
05-20-10, 04:16 AM
I don't think the game's CO2 level indicator has anything to do with actual concentration. If I remember correctly you can stay submerged 24 hours at least (haven't tried that recently).

raymond6751
05-20-10, 04:25 AM
I've had mine up to 30% before chickening out and surfacing.

It does seem to rise quicker than it should. You read about boats being under for many hours.

Has anybody been into the files to find out what the effects are?

I wonder what the message would say if the whole crew keeled over.

aanker
05-20-10, 01:01 PM
I'd say, "silly me" except I'd be wrong.... meaning; I've had the CO2 way up and been submerged at least 36 - 40+ hrs in a fleet boat numerous times. I treat the % CO2 gauge as % of time used up that is safe to be down. Once at 100% the crew will die. That is my understanding and my experience with it.

I don't think it is measuring 'actual' (virtual) CO2 levels to 100% CO2, instead it is measuring % buildup to critical levels being at 100%. What that level is in RL is explained fairly well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CO2_Poisoning
Symptoms and signs of early hypercapnia include flushed skin, full pulse, tachypnea, dyspnoea, extrasystoles, muscle twitches, hand flaps, reduced neural activity, and possibly a raised blood pressure. According to other sources, symptoms of mild hypercapnia might include headache, confusion and lethargy. Hypercapnia can induce increased cardiac output, an elevation in arterial blood pressure, and a propensity toward arrhythmias. In severe hypercapnia (generally PaCO2 greater than 10 kPa or 75 mmHg), symptomatology progresses to disorientation, panic, hyperventilation, convulsions, unconsciousness, and eventually deathI realize Wiki isn't a good source to reference for a paper but it is good enough here (right?).

I wonder what the message would say if the whole crew keeled over.

I got the sunk sub as a bad commander message however I had a lot of damage from ASW. I evaded the DD's but the crew died at 26' because of CO2 buildup.... TWENTY SIX FEET. Where is the abandon ship button?

Happy Hunting!

Art

Nisgeis
05-20-10, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it's percentage of lethal unsafe level, so whgen it gets to 100% unsafe then... I think the boat will auto surface, rather than everyone comitting suicide.

nappy
05-21-10, 04:40 AM
much appriciated guys :)

nappy-no-longer-afraid

Admiral8Q
05-21-10, 04:51 AM
Why would you need to stay down that long? Sometimes when I'm sick of planes, I'll go down and the CO2 builds up, but just pop up to periscope depth, stick the scope and air radar up, if it's all clear, surface then dive again:)

But yes, I wondered when it would get leathal. I guess 100% is death.. haven't tested it.:hmmm:

aanker
05-21-10, 11:32 AM
Two missions I enjoy I doubt ever happened but I try to do them as if there is lots of traffic to avoid. To do them 'right' they both require staying down until dark. The Tokyo Bay and Hiroshima missions are examples, if you want to do them secretly, of staying down a long time.

Sure, in SH4 you can probably go in and out on the surface in broad daylight and get away with it plus sink a bunch of shipping too. I don't. I like to sneak in and out undetected so I spend a lot of time submerged waiting for the right conditions.

You're right, there is no reason to be submerged that long in SH4.

The time I was sunk and killed at 26' was because the boat had taken so much damage it couldn't rise any higher than 26'. I could go up on the bridge but nobody else would come with me, so we died of CO2 poisoning and sunk.

Anyway, Happy Hunting!

Art