PDA

View Full Version : Are you ever invisible to DD's?

treblesum81
05-18-10, 02:58 AM
I've read through the uber AI explanation by Ducimus, but I'm still trying to figure out how they can tell you're there when you're dead silent (no RPMs, silent running) and several thousand feet away and start pinging. Is this a function of TMO? Or should I really be that "visible" to them in these circumstances?

Thanks

Gibus
05-18-10, 05:55 AM
This depends mainly on wind speed. With a wind 0 m / sec, can be detected several miles away.

treblesum81
05-18-10, 10:32 AM
Even as a hole in the water? I mean I'm literally just sitting, with no activity going on at all and I'm still detected...

Gibus
05-18-10, 01:16 PM
I suppose so. Recently, there was a wind 0 m / sec, I got speed detecting two thirds to over 8,000 meters!
Under these conditions, a destroyer going 12 knots at 1,000 meters of your submarine goes silent and motionless find, for sure.
Between SH4 vanilla and TMO, the sensitivity sonar factor has been multiplied by 2.5
Good hunting.

Gibus

magic452
05-18-10, 06:38 PM
Even though you are at 0 knots and silent running there are still sounds coming from your boat. Depth keeping etc make some noise
To maintain depth, ballast must be moved between tanks etc.
To answer your question, with TMO 1.9 late war you're not.
Even in real life they started taking longer shoots as IJN sonar improved.

Magic

rein1705
05-19-10, 11:31 PM
Dive below the Thermal Layer that helps out a lot. Make turns for one knot and barely maneuver. The pig boats seem to be a tad quieter than the fleet boats surprisingly. I've always managed to sneak into TF's and convoys with them and survive than with the bigger "better" boats. Whatever works for you... I'm proud to command an S-boat, Yarg!
:arrgh!: