PDA

View Full Version : Super duper destroyer...

Admiral8Q
05-17-10, 09:01 PM
23:00, July 1942

Ok, so I'm patrolling south of Japan in area 5 in the USS Drum. My radar man picks up a slow moving contact. I figure it's a lone merchant so plot an intercept course to set up a 90 degree torpedo attack. I haven't had a single contact for awhile, other than zillions of planes on radar. I slow to 1/3 when I'll be about 2500 yards from the closest intersect point.

Suddenly I get a visual contact at about 9000 yards and my watchman yells that a warship is spotted! I order a dive to periscope depth then pop the night scope up and its a big destroyer! Quickly I bring the scope and my air search radar down, order all stop and rig for silent running.

I figured that since pickings have been slim I'll try to surprise him and sink him on his way past my bow. I watch, (or I should say listen) at sonar and then just over 6000 yards he changes course and accelerates. A quick look through the scope and I see he's zig-zagging towards me. The thought crosses my mind that I may be able to at least damage him with a "down the throat" shot, but when he starts pinging, I decide to turn my stern at him and dive at 1/3 engines. I get below the thermal layer by about 75 feet by the time he's passing over me. I'm just about at test depth.

Listening on sonar I hear splashes and distant explosions. I don't usually use the external cam for game play, but I was curious to see how close he was. To my surprise he was passing directly over me still dropping cans. four exploded slightly above my sub on each flank! Everything started getting damaged then one exploded directly on my control room below the conning tower! Started to sink and that was the last of the USS Drum.

I don't know how he saw me underwater at such a distance and how he was able to hit me at a precise depth and bullseye the command room like that at under 280 feet! :o

I hope passive sonar is tuned down a little in TMO 2.0 or this my just be too difficult for me:timeout: I think I'm transferring down to Australia:nope:

Overkill
05-17-10, 09:30 PM
I've been working on the config file trying to tone down the "super destroyers" a bit myself. It gets really irritating having a WW2 Japanese era destroyer act like it has a modern ASW Frigate's sonar.

I've made some changes but I'm still fine tuning them. If you go too far the destroyers act deaf and blind so that's no good either.

Here's what I've done so far:

[Visual]
Detection time=1 ;[s] min detection time. ;was 0.5
Sensitivity=0.01 ;(0..1) min detection threshold double detection time.
Fog factor=01.25 ;[>=0]
Light factor=2.8 ;1.7 ;[>=0] ;was 2.0
Waves factor=1.0 ;[>=0]
Enemy surface factor=350 ;50 ;[m2]
Enemy speed factor=15 ;25 ;[kt]
Thermal Layer Signal Attenuation=5.0

[Hydrophone]
Detection time=10 ;[s] ;was 1
Sensitivity=0.02 ;(0..1) ;was 0.04
Height factor=0 ;[m]
Waves factor=0.55 ;1.0 ;[>=0] ;was 0.75
Speed factor=15 ;[kt] ;was 20
Noise factor=0.2 ;1.0 ;[>=0] ;was 0.5
Thermal Layer Signal Attenuation=3.0 ;[>0], 1 means no signal reduction, 3 equals signal reduction to 33%

[Sonar]
Detection time=15 ;[s] ;was 10
Sensitivity=0.008 ;(0..1) ;was 0.01
Waves factor=0.6 ;[>=0]
Speed factor=15 ;[kt]
Enemy surface factor=100 ;[m2]
Lose time=30 ;[s]
Thermal Layer Signal Attenuation=5.0 ;[>0], 1 means no signal reduction, 5 equals signal reduction to 20%

Hopefully this will help you out. I've been running several single missions and campaign patrols to experiment with the settings. So, far it's a little more "realistic" in my humble opinion. I'm also using the TMO and RSRD mods.

Please give me some feedback if you have any suggestions. :salute:

Admiral8Q
05-17-10, 10:03 PM
Thanks Overkill, where is it and what is this config file called? I'll try those settings and load my last encounter and see what happens.

Sailor Steve
05-17-10, 10:09 PM
Are you using a supermod. TMO has one, and only one, and it patrols the Bungo Straight. It's named 'Bungo Pete' after the seemingly invincible destroyer from Run Silent, Run Deep. Sort of an open secret joke by Ducimus. Most people just stay away from that region.

Admiral8Q
05-17-10, 10:20 PM
Ha ha Steve, I stay away from that region unless I have to drop off a spec op or take some photos. My favorite hunting ground right now is (was) Surunga Bay. I was in area 5 heading ssw towards 5B

Overkill
05-18-10, 09:42 AM
It's the Sim.CFG file. Should be located: Ubisoft/SilentHunterWolvesofthePacific/Data/Cfg

You can Notepad to edit it. Make sure you set your Security Settings to Allow so the changes you make can be saved.

Admiral8Q
05-18-10, 11:46 PM
TY Overkill, and done! :cool:

I understand this kind of code. I modified it in the TMO mod also.
I'll try it out:up:

Gibus
05-19-10, 01:58 AM
.... It's named 'Bungo Pete' after the seemingly invincible destroyer from Run Silent, Run Deep.

I'm not sure I understand you.
In my opinion, the file 'sim.cfg' AI manages all the destroyers of the game.
Can you explain why and how this destroyer sailing in the Bungo Strait would be more dangerous than others?

Admiral8Q
05-19-10, 02:06 AM
I wouldn't be suprised, like the ghost ship:o:haha:

magic452
05-20-10, 01:43 AM
In TMO 1.9 there is only Akazuki (spelling?) DD and that is Bungo Pete.
I think Ducimus gave it a little special treatment.

Magic

Gibus
05-20-10, 06:30 AM
Akizuki.
If it's this one, I do not see what treatment because I have already sunk without more difficulty than others.

Sailor Steve
05-20-10, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure I understand you.
In my opinion, the file 'sim.cfg' AI manages all the destroyers of the game.
Can you explain why and how this destroyer sailing in the Bungo Strait would be more dangerous than others?
I don't know. You'd have to ask Ducimus. I do know that at the time everybody was talking about it.

Bilge_Rat
05-20-10, 11:18 AM
Ducimus would have to explain how he did it, but in TMO he created an elite, aggressive DD nicknamed "Bungo Pete" which is death incarnate. It patrols off the coast of Japan. Sounds like he was behind this...:arrgh!:

magic452
05-20-10, 08:00 PM
I think I had a little short circuit in the memory.:damn:

Bungo Pete is a Akikeze I do believe. The only one in TMO.
At least that is what Ducimus said some time ago.

Magic

Gibus
05-21-10, 01:43 AM
OK for Akikaze.
While waiting for the opinion of Ducimus, it interests me greatly.
Thank you.

Gibus
05-26-10, 02:55 AM
To get to the bottom last night, we played (in multiplayer) an episode of the Battle of Guadalcanal: the attack on the squadron of Admiral Abe (2 battleships, 1 light cruiser and 11 destroyers). In the mission, we have implanted 11 Akikaze, classified as elite.

We went to three wolvespacks of 3 players.
The results are as follows:
- WPack 1: 9 Akikaze sunk
- WPack 2: 7 Akikaze sunk
- WPack 3: Results not communicated to this hour.

Your comments about this terror of the Pacific?

Gibus