PDA

View Full Version : When do I get a new conning tower?

nikimcbee
05-16-10, 04:01 PM
I'm in the USS Drum and it's aug 1943. I'm still in the old style of conning tower. When do I get a new, sexy tower? On of my last patrols in the seawolf, I got the reduced tower before I transfered to the Drum.:hmmm:

Rockin Robbins
05-17-10, 10:55 AM
Here's the deal. In your home port, the game keeps a blind chimpanze on a swivel stool. Taped to the wall ten feet away are 4" square targets representing upgrades. These are put on the wall according to a schedule. But the chimp is going to determine when you actually receive them.

When you arrive back at port at the end of a cruise, the chimp is given five darts and spun ten times at 2 revolutions per second. He then throws those darts wherever suits his fancy. If a dart pierces the new conning tower, you get it. If not, you don't. It is entirely possible, but not too likely, that you could go to the end of the war with your old conning tower, as many boats really did in the war.

But one thing is for sure. If you're a skipper that loves to resupply and go back out without ending a cruise, you've given up your chances for that conning tower. You need to make cruises take the shortest amount of time you can while meeting your objective and using up your ordinance load. Then get back to port promptly and end it so you have the most chances to get your upgrades.:up:

nikimcbee
05-17-10, 01:28 PM
Can I pay the chimp more bananas to expedite this? And what is the renown to banana conversion rate?:hmmm:

Rockin Robbins
05-17-10, 03:35 PM
No, that's why they used a BLIND chimp!:har::har:

Admiral8Q
05-17-10, 03:41 PM
I'm in the USS Drum and it's aug 1943. I'm still in the old style of conning tower. When do I get a new, sexy tower? On of my last patrols in the seawolf, I got the reduced tower before I transfered to the Drum.:hmmm:
Seawolf to Drum, good upgrade. I guess you'll just have to wait for them to give you the new conning tower.;)

DaveyJ576
05-17-10, 07:14 PM
...you could go to the end of the war with your old conning tower, as many boats really did in the war.

If this is happening in the game, then it is modeled incorrectly and is historically inaccurate. I can say, with a very high degree of confidence, that all of the fleet boats that started the war with the original conning tower fairwater configuration (with the possible exception of Dolphin) had at least some changes made to the fairwaters during the war. Some had more extensive modifications than others, but all received at least something.

See these links: http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/10idx.htm

The Mod 2 configuration (cigarette deck cut down, nav bridge still in place) started showing up in the early spring of '42 (it was officially authorized by the Navy on 9 March 42!). The Mod 3 (both ends of the fairwater cut down, high bridge) started showing up in late '42 and early '43. New construction boats began to roll off the ways with Mod 3's in early '43. The Mod 4 (same as Mod 3 but with a low bridge) started to appear in early '44.

In real life, the process was not random. These modifications were officially approved and performed during the boat's first stateside overhauls, but some were done by tender crews at forward bases between patrols. Boat CO's quickly realized that the huge bulk of the fairwater was a visual liability and were very anxious to get rid of it as soon as was possible. I have yet to find a single instance where a boat carried the original configuration (Mod 1) on patrol into 1943. The boats that were launched with a Mod 1 after the start of the war usually had the fairwater cut down before the boat even left the builder's yard, and certainly before it went on it's first patrol.

Rockin Robbins
05-18-10, 08:54 AM
So the game, trying to mod the variability from boat to boat, really went too far. Wouldn't it have been great to get a randomly selected real boat, with that boat getting the upgrades when the real one did? Of course for boats that were sunk, there would have to be some arbitrary assignment, but it would have been much better than the blind chimp model.

Sub simulations have a long way to go. I wonder if they can make any real progress so long as they are designed by computer geeks who use people with historical knowledge as mere hired consultants.

The control should be with the sub people and the geeks should be the hired help. Then we'd see sub simulations become what they really can be. Another aspect controlling the state of state of sub sims is our hardware, which is pushed pretty hard by the state of the art now. Once we increase speed by a factor of ten and RAM up to about 10 gig we can expect to see some things become possible that just aren't now without taking down the whole game.

Since all the operations relating to the database of all boats and when they were upgraded would execute in port and with nothing else going on at the time there is absolutely no reason SH4 couldn't have incorporated the feature and they could have fired the blind chimpanze. I would feel sorry for the poor chimp though...

Theo123
12-02-10, 02:13 PM
If you became a new tower, maybe it is able to become your old one, because i lost my tower. After they give me a new GATO, i missed my tower.

PLEASE HELP !!

Dogfish40
12-02-10, 04:28 PM
I too, am on the Drum and apart from hoping to get the cut down tower I was hoping that it was time to be able to do some other upgrades like Suface Radar and I would kinda' feel better with a front deck gun or at least one more AA gun for comfort.
I couldn't/didn't get nuthin' but a Medal which is nice and all but I really wanted some more firepower and Radar.
When did the Radar upgrades come out? I thought it was mid '42...
D40/ Goin back to Japan... (with some special ammo):salute:

Dogfish40
12-03-10, 01:51 PM

Somewhere in the downloads section, there is a mod to fix the conning tower (I downloaded it). It's called 'MidwarAATowers1_0'. I haven't installed it yet but it might be what you're looking for, I know that it fixes that annoying position when you aim and the tower actually gets placed between you and the gunsight (an impossibility). Since I haven't tried it yet, I can't say if it cuts down the cigarette deck at all, but it appears that way because of the way the Mod is described. It's somewhere in that downloads section and if I can find it again, I'll give you the exact page.:salute:
D40

HowFar
03-12-11, 09:01 PM
I tried the mid-war conning tower 1.0 and it doesn't seem to work for me. I installed it with into my MODS folder with JSGME yet nothing has changed. I'm into June 1944 with the USS Tambor and May 1944 with the USS Gato and I'm still riding that bleeping tub. What the Hell! I'll try not to rant, but if it weren't for you folks in the Subsim community I would have S**t canned this thing years ago. UBISoft put out a piece of crap and you all salvaged it. I don't understand how something so simple as standard historical upgrades can be botched. I'm sure you can tell that it annoys me to no end. This issue is taking the fun out of this for me. I've seen the monkey throwing darts explanation, which does not excuse the apparent ineptitued of the programmers from UBI. These guys have botched everything they've put out on the market relative to sub simulations. Am I missing something or is it just plain lazy careless programming.

In the meantime, thank all of you in the community for saving this game for me and others like me with your incredible mods. I will not buy SH5 as a matter of principle. If anyone can address this issue please, please do so.

-T-

TorpX
03-12-11, 11:07 PM
I agree with you. Ubisoft took what could have been an extraordinary sim and bashed it into something, that is playable only if modded. I can only hope that they or someone else will draw the appropriate lessons from this in the future.

What bothers me the most is all the ways the game physics is goofed up. It's one thing if an upgrade is delayed or occurs at the wrong date, but what can be done when radar/ sonar/ sighting/ damadge aspects are balled up and nonsensical?

TorpX
03-12-11, 11:12 PM
Here's the deal. In your home port, the game keeps a blind chimpanze on a swivel stool. Taped to the wall ten feet away are 4" square targets representing upgrades. These are put on the wall according to a schedule. But the chimp is going to determine when you actually receive them.

Now is that any way to talk about the Admiral's chief of staff?

:haha:

HowFar
03-13-11, 02:42 AM
I tested the chimp theory and it doesn't work. I saved just before docking and reloaded that son of a... twenty times! Nothing! No kidding, I sat in front of that thing for twenty reloads. I finally gave in and gave up the Tambor for a Gato. Another AA tub. Then in disgust went to my Gato and tried the same thing, although I only tested the chimp theory fifteen times before giving in and receiving the Balao. Not too bad at first with "The BeastBelow" skin, but alas, my first engagement with Jap destroyers through the fog darned near got me killed because of slow loading gun. After going deep I looked over the health of my gun crew and found that there was none. This thing is just full of suprises.

Does anyone know of any fix for the absent deck gun crew?

By the way, I never did like chimps.

Hylander_1314
03-13-11, 08:22 PM
Check out this thread by Ducimus, on getting more regular refits.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134913&highlight=conning+tower+upgrade

TorpX
03-14-11, 12:43 AM
Not too bad at first with "The BeastBelow" skin, but alas, my first engagement with Jap destroyers through the fog darned near got me killed because of slow loading gun. After going deep I looked over the health of my gun crew and found that there was none. This thing is just full of suprises.

Does anyone know of any fix for the absent deck gun crew?

Unfortunately, you must drag the men into the deck gun slots to "man" the guns. I believe the gun shoots at the same rate whether you "man" it or not. Usually, people aim and shoot themselves, as the crew are lousy shots. Gunnery is not modeled very well. Remember, it is a submarine game, torpedos were considered to be more important than guns. :DL

HowFar
03-21-11, 11:14 AM
I don't even have the crew slots. I used to run v1.4 then upgraded to 1.5. I seem to recall this problem with v1.4; however, I don't recall the conning tower upgrade being a problem with v1.4 and it was only after installing v1.5 that I noticed a lapse in conning tower upgrades. So, like a mindless fool with nothing but time on his hands, I will risk divorce and abandonment by my children and proceed with the uninstallation of v1.5, reinstallation of v1.4, go through the modding process (otherwise its pointless) and undertake a new career and see how it goes. Then I will reinstall v1.5 over v1.4 and repeat.

Shot in the dark? Pissing in the wind? Maybe, but what the hell... I know it worked before. As far as the missing gun crew slots are concerned, **** you UbiSoft!

T

TorpX
03-22-11, 04:06 AM
I don't even have the crew slots. I used to run v1.4 then upgraded to 1.5. I seem to recall this problem with v1.4; however, I don't recall the conning tower upgrade being a problem with v1.4 and it was only after installing v1.5 that I noticed a lapse in conning tower upgrades. So, like a mindless fool with nothing but time on his hands, I will risk divorce and abandonment by my children and proceed with the uninstallation of v1.5, reinstallation of v1.4, go through the modding process (otherwise its pointless) and undertake a new career and see how it goes. Then I will reinstall v1.5 over v1.4 and repeat.

Shot in the dark? Pissing in the wind? Maybe, but what the hell... I know it worked before. As far as the missing gun crew slots are concerned, **** you UbiSoft!

T
I'm not sure if I read you right. Did you install v1.5 over an existing career? If so, that could be your trouble. I would not expect newly installed mega-mods to work right either, if you are installing mid-career.

HowFar
03-22-11, 09:17 AM
I started completely fresh with v1.5. I originally bought v1 shortly after its release, suffered through the bugs, rejoiced piecemeal with each patch through v1.4, then discovered the world of Subsim. Seeing what was available for v1.5 I decided to upgrade and installed over the v1.4 and started fresh with a new career. Now I can't say for sure, but I seem to recall that I was getting my conning tower upgrades on schedule; however, I can't be sure which is why I'm going through the v1.4 process again. After a system infection I had to reformat my HDD and reinstall everything, including SH4v1.5 alone where I definitlely did not get any conning tower upgrades.

By the way, I did install v1.4 yesterday, started a 1943 career and immediately got the conning tower upgrade on a Gato, which is already a step above v1.5. So I went back to a 1942 career with a Gato and will see what happens when I reach 1943. By the way, I've noticed a greater variety in sub names in version 1.4 (e.g., Silversides, Runner, Tuna, Flying Fish). So far in v1.5 I've only had Drum and Gato of their class and only Balao of its class. Don't get me wrong, v1.5 is clearly be better sim, but is lacking in the details and that drives me crazy as evidenced by my endeavor. Other details that bother me are the U.S. carriers and aircraft on deck. What the hell are those? Summer of '43 we should start to see the Essex class with Hellcats on the deck.

P.S.: Its looking like the "monkey throwing darts" theory is just that, a theory.

T

HowFar
03-26-11, 05:25 PM
As a follow up to my previous post, I ran a Gato up until February 1944 and still no conning tower upgrade. In disgust I nuked the thing from my harddrive. This bothers me no end because its such a glaring lapse in detail that it detracts from the game for me. Another reason it bothers me is that I don't recall ever having this problem before. I've suffered through all the patches for this game of the years since it's realease, and of the many problems experienced the conning tower upgrade was not among them. I like to run the same sub throughout the entire campaign so I would notice if I didn't receive an upgrade. Sure I've experienced the missing gun crew, the having to replace all my equipment with each conning tower upgrade, etc., but none bother me as much as not getting a conning tower upgrade.

I didn't start unsing mods until mid 2010 and could never go back to the "vanilla" version. What you modders have done for this program can not be expressed with mere words, and I am sincerely grateful for the enjoyment I have received as a result of your hard work.

It appears that UbiSoft is done with SH4 and the chances of ever getting a fix for the remaining issues are nonexistent. I wonder if they realize what a great gesture it would be to offer one more patch that addresses the glaring problems.

*** **** you UbiSoft! You were so ******* close with this. Why the hell couldn't you just finish it?

WernherVonTrapp
03-26-11, 05:54 PM
After reading all this, I still have some difficulty understanding exactly what version of SHIV you are running. Now, I think you say that you're running version 1.5. If this is correct, did you install this version as a patch or did you install SHIV (Gold Edition with the U-Boat Expansion Pack) as an entirely new game install?
Also, can you please list your mods in the exact order that they appear in JSGME? It might also help to know some of your system specs. Like RAM, Processor and what type of graphics card. Now, I'm not saying that I have any answers for you but, I or someone else might have some answers if we knew a little more about the exact problem you're having. These things aren't always easy to diagnose or fix through mere text descriptions.

HowFar
03-27-11, 03:58 AM
Thank you for your interest. I believe I’ve come up with a theory, but first a brief answer to your question. My system is composed of a MSI X48C Platinum MB with a Intel Q9400 Dual Core Quad processor and 4 GB or RAM, Radeon 5670 HD graphics card with 1 GB DDR5, a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card, and the OS is Windows XP Home. The mods are many and I can’t list them now without firing up the other computer (its 2:00 AM PDT) and checking the list in JSGME; however, I'm not running any of the Mega Mods and the mods that I am running are a constant. To be more specific, I didn’t have the conning tower upgrade problem until the last two campaigns I’ve run, in which there were no changes to the mods I've used throughout.

To further clarify, I formerly ran v1.4 but upgraded to v1.5 mid 2010 due to the greater availability of mods and slightly improved gameplay. In fact, I found v1.5 to be much improved over v1.4. So I purchased SH4 Gold Edition and installed it over my existing v1.4, modded it, and found it quite enjoyable. I had not experienced the conning tower upgrade problem once in all the hours I ran this setup. Then, in the first week of February my system picked up a virus that ultimately led to the need to reformat the main drive. This time I installed the Gold Edition (v1.5) alone, not over the original v1.4 as before, then modded it exactly as it was prior to the reformat. I did not receive one conning tower upgrade since that installation of Gold Edition.

Today I uninstalled the whole damn thing, cleaned files from the drive, checked and repaired my registry, and wiped the free disk space. I then installed the original SH4, patched it to v1.4, then installed the SH4 Gold Edition over it, went back to my same mods (kept on a second hard drive) and applied them exactly as before. I started a new career on March 17, 1943 with a Gato (USS Gunnel) out of Pearl, which by the way had the aft tub cut down. Got underway for Honshu on the first mission, completed it and returned to base on April 13, 1943 and immediately got my conning tower refit. If I wasn’t so damn old I would have done a backflip.

Like I said in my earlier post, I’m not a programmer so I don’t know the details, but could it be that the Gold Edition alone is missing something which is causing the failure to upgrade the conning tower? I don’t think it’s random because I tried reloading the end of one my previous missions and docking 20 times last week, and earlier today I tried it repeatedly for about forty minutes (I lost count) to no avail. I couldn’t get a conning tower upgrade. However, with the Gold Edition installed over v1.4 it was immediate. Has anyone else experienced this or does it ring familiar? I’m just glad it works now.

Thanks for your interest and response. I hope this information has substance and can help narrow down this problem that others have experienced as well. I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions if it will help them avoid the same frustrations.

By the way, I am quite embarassed at how much this issue has annoyed me, but it's a detail that I can't sim without.

T

WernherVonTrapp
03-27-11, 08:24 AM
HowFar, I don't know if I can help you but I am willing to give it a shot. That aside, why did you post such small black text on a dark gray background?http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/blink.gif You're killing my eyes and I almost can't even read it. I had to "Select All" in order to see what you wrote.
The first thing I can tell you is that installing version 1.4, patching it, and then installing the Gold Edition on top of that is not helping your situation. SHIV Gold Edition is the latest version and there's absolutely no need to install an older version first. The Gold Edition is not missing anything. If the programmers removed some things that used to be in version 1.4, it's probably because they couldn't get SHIV to work correctly with them.
Personally, I suspect you're creating your own problems here.
First, I would suggest that you read the Sticky titled "How to re-install SH4!" You can find it here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290

Then I suggest that you uninstall SHIV (Version 1.4) and re-install SHIV Gold Edition following the guidelines set in the previous sticky. It is important that you take your time doing this and do not rush through the process.

Now, I admit that I may have misread the small, dark, text you posted but, it looks like your system should have no trouble handling SHIV. It would now be interesting to see what mods you have installed and the exact order in which they are installed.

Armistead
03-27-11, 08:24 AM
Run TMO and you'll get em.

HowFar
04-10-11, 06:05 PM
Wernher, I sincerely apologize for the black type. I typed it in a word document then pasted it to the post. I didn't pick up on how it turned out. It kills my eyes too.

I've been playing the heck out of SH4 since my last post in an effort to see how the CT upgrade (my "White Whale") works out. As it turns out, I haven't gotten a CT upgrade since the my last post and I've played 5 campaigns into 1944 and very late 1943 before giving up and starting another. Granted, I had to kick back to "arcade mode"( i.e., disable manual targeting) in the interest of speed. I love this sim, but do fear growing weary of it and need to back off a little. However, it's hard for me to do that with this unresolved issue on my mind.

I run a significant number of mods, some aesthetic, some improvements to gameplay. Off the top of my head, I'm running Real Envrironment; Webster's Better Air Patrols, Better Subs, Sound Fix, Ship Manuevering Fix, Free Camera and Scope fix; Eliminate Floating Plankton; Smaller Rain; and Sub Draft Fix; Sonar Target Fix; Stock Map Icons; EAX Soundsim; New Ships + Yamato AA Fix; IJN Depther Charges Sergie's Skinpack v1; 2RTR Persicope v1.1; Stock detectMineSubnet; RUIM v 1.0; U.S. Medals FixII; Calibrated Gages Gato Interiors SH4v1.5; Calibrated Guages Baloa 600 SH4v1.5; Oak Groove Guages; Map Table 1.3; Nav Map Makeover; 3000 Yard Bearing Tool; Torpex Torpedos; the TMO19 Ineterior Upgrade Overhaul for SClass, Salmon, Porpoise, and Gato; Submarine Hull Numbers; and a number of skins for the boats. Also running are smaller seabed rocks and plants, Remover grain effect, Sofu Gan and Stock different smoke_Webster's Manuever. I was running the pre-Pearl Harbor and sensor wake, but removed as part of the process of elimination because it seemed that campaigns started pre-PH did not get the CT upgrades. So far, neither has the 1941 campaign starts.

I don't know Wernher, I'm stumped and as you can see the issue bugs the hell out of me (no pun intended) . I've considered installing TMO, but don't really want to get away from the base game much more than what I've done. It would be nice to install it on my second hard drive, but it won't let me do that. I'd like to have stock and TMO both installed.

The weather here in Western Washington is starting to improve (i.e., snow to rain) so I'll likely be backing off quite a bit, but I'd sure like to see if there is resolution to this problem. Otherwise, I'll hope for another sub sim release by another company who will hopefully get it right.

Thanks for your interest in my plight. Oh yes, and I apolgize for the delay in my reply, but I've been tied up in my obsession.

-T-

Armistead
04-10-11, 09:05 PM
My advice is to drop most of those mods and play with TMO and add mods from there that work with TMO. Many of the CT upgrades come early war.
You say you're in 44, what CT do you have. I see many possible reasons why in your mod list. Certainly you have a few mods overwriting stuff in other mods where you don't need the previous.

I'll all for as many good mods, but you want them in the right order. Here's what I've run for the last few months. Also, you can run auto target with TMO, sure it's more difficult, but easier to learn.

Myself, I wouldn't run without the historic traffic of RSRD. It also adds ships and planes.

TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2
TMO_Update_20_to_21
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
IJN_Radar_Fix_for_TMO2_v1
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
MaxOptics IV for TMO_2
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
Longer_Ship_Wake_V1_TMO1.7
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
New_Large_Lifeboat
TGT AOB TO PK FIX - TMO
TGT DIALS TO PK FIX - TMO
TBT filter green TMO 1.9 and Stock
Gramaphone One
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
glen ford
OPCFv1.3_TMO19_green
SMALLER SEABED ROCKS
SMALLER SEA PLANTS SMALL
SS244 USS Cavalla_Weathered
Carotio_SH4_SeafloorMod_256mb
SKIN_S-boat_Dazzle_Camo
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
sh4lighthousemod
Webster's Smaller Rain for TMO
PassHospi
EAXsoundsim_without_WebstersManeuver_TMO19
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_TMO2

HowFar
04-11-11, 09:50 AM
Thanks Armistead. It's time for a change anyway. I really appreciate your interest and advice. I'll let you all know what happens in a few weeks. I'll be away for a week, but will start a new campaign with the suggested mods. I've never had an addiction problem in my 54 years of life (coffee doesn't count). I'm afraid this sim may be putting and end to that streak.

-T-

Armistead
04-11-11, 11:02 AM
Haha, the only video game I played more than an hour a week was "Gettysburg" old Sid Meyers, then I found this game.

and yea, I can drink coffeee day and night...

But you have me by 6 years...

HowFar
04-13-11, 01:52 AM
Thanks again guys. I installed TMO with RSRD and am absolutely thrilled. I've only had time to do one mission, but I love the gameplay. I don't feel the need to "mod" with it either aside from Webster's eliminate plankton. With a 1941 start and no radar I'm having a rough time with aircraft, but that's what makes it exciting. I haven't even thought about the CT upgrade, but I trust it will come on schedule. I can't get over what an incredibly well done mod he has produced. Together with RSRD they make SH4 a completely new sim. UBI ought to be ashamed of themselves... I'll stop there since its a topic I can really go off on.

Unfortunately, I'll be away for a week and won't be able to ply enemy waters until I get back. Hopefully I won't experience any withdrawals.

Thanks again guys for your interest and advice.

CapnScurvy
04-13-11, 08:37 AM
When do I get a new conning tower?

If you are using the stock game you may not get one at all!!

The truth is the dates for some of the upgrades (found in the games .UPC files, scattered in several folders) are wrong; or out of sequence when one piece of equipment ends, and its successor begins. This includes conning tower upgrades, radar, deck guns etc.

When I say "wrong" date, I mean no such date exists. For instance, in a couple of places the date April 31 comes up. Check the calendar guys, there are only 30 days in the month of April. Remember the old rhyme, "30 days has September, April, June, and November....... All the rest have 31. Except for..........?" Well, you probably know the rest.

This error occurs for a couple of other months as well. Now, I'll be the first to say I don't know if the game gives a hoot whether a given month needs the proper number of days to complete its month and go on to the next or not? For all I know the game can have April, 1942 with 365 days in it and when the 366th day arrives it's "Happy New Year!!" 1943. But, I've got a feeling the proper dates do matter (withstanding the dev's throwing in a leap year on us?!?).

When I say the dates are "out of sequence", I mean there are dates that end a specific piece of equipments life cycle, but the successors date of beginning its cycle is either before the end date or after (sometimes only by a couple of days, sometimes as much as a month or two) after the first piece of equipment end date (and as I pointed out sometimes this end date is in error). It was pointed out earlier in this thread that Ducimus found something similar (dates being out of sequence) some time ago HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134913&highlight=conning+tower+upgrade). Until I read this thread today I didn't know Duci had found this out back in 2008. I can tell you after finding this out for myself earlier this year, the dates need to be in succession for a good upgrade.

You may wish to look at another related problem with "Where's my SJ Radar" thread found HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=180088). I went into a bit of detail about the specific problems of dates having errors specific to the radar upgrades.

The point is, there are dates that are out of "sync" within the stock game when equipment is concerned.

Also, I found one problem with a "mission date" for those at the Brisbane Command. I have wondered if anyone stationed at Brisbane has been sent to the Mulucca Sea? The stock game has this mission's "AvailablityInterval=1944-04-01, to 1944-06-31". Of course, there is no such date (June like April has only 30 days in it). So, I'm just wondering if anyone has ever been assigned that mission objective or not? It may be that the error for the "end" of the availability period makes no difference, I don't know. I do know that just about any "hiccup" in a file spelling, placement of a space, not having your T's crossed or the i's dotted makes a difference in computer recognition. I can only assume the game is no different.

Anyway, try this mod called "Stock SH4_1.5 Upgrades Mod" that I put together for the stock game only, found HERE (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3053). Don't use it with any other mod that may have changed the .UPC files, since their change probably effects something that would be removed with this mod.

One important reminder:

There are several files in this mod that are .upc files. Many .upc files are taken to the SH4 "saved game" folders to be used there. For this reason do not use this mod with a previously saved game or mission. Those different and older "saved" .upc files will conflict with these new files and I would not expect anything good coming from the mixture. Load this mod when in port starting a new mission, or start a completely new career in order to have it loaded properly.

HowFar
04-19-11, 10:46 AM
Thanks Capn. I did use your mod with apparent positive results. However, I know I created somewhat of a "mod soup" in my desparate attempt to tweak my stock version. I've recently taken a break from the stock v1.5 with TMO and RSDC. I'm having a ton of fun with it right now even though I've only advanced to April 1942. Once I complete a campaign or two and get back to stock I'll need to thin my "soup" a little. I will need to be a little less greedy and keep just the essentials with your upgrades mod being a key addition since it addresses an issue that frankly bugs the crap out of me.

I just posted on a different thread my expression of gratitude for all you who dedicate your time toward salvaging SH4 for the rest of us. I've benefited from a number of your mods in particular and, once again, cannot find the words to express my appreciation.

Thank you.

-T-

Stealhead
04-19-11, 10:36 PM
There is another way to get an on the spot conning tower upgrade.You will need to be at Midway and have a large amount beer a few drunk junior officers and a Gooney bird.

Basically if you have the balls to put that Gooney bird in the base COs private quarters and not get caught and prove this to the supply officer then you receive the upgrade of you choice without filling any paperwork.Of course getting caught will land yourself alot of paper work and extra duty and base confinement which is not so bad at Midway but will be when you get back to Pearl.Bribing a few of the SPs with some of that beer might get you in the COs door.

If you get caught by the CO.... Captain Stealhead did not tell you anything if you rat me out you'll find Gooney birds in your gear until you retire.Dont think that I am lying just look at my avatar over there see how serious I look?
<-----------------------

HowFar
04-20-11, 01:01 AM
Oh, now you're teasing me. That's how I live life. If anyone could pull that off it would be me. And I NEVER rat anyone out so ole Capn' Steelhead need not worry.