PDA

View Full Version : perfect setup

Sniper450
05-15-10, 05:03 PM
It kills me to have the perfect setup, release to fish at the merchant....and watch them pass underneath the keel without exploding...:damn::damn::damn:...augh early war torpedoes....

ok done venting :D

SH4 fan
05-15-10, 06:55 PM
Set the torps to contact influence. In heavy seas I will set them to run a little deeper than the std keel depth.

Sniper450
05-15-10, 08:42 PM
Thats what i do..l.several f33t (3) below keel and it they dont go boom :(

Sailor Steve
05-15-10, 10:08 PM
Think how the real guys felt. They didn't know what was going on.

And they didn't have switches to change heads. Warheads had a magnetic influence pistol and a contact pistol, and that was what they were stuck with. A few enterprising skippers figured it out and had their torpedo chiefs take them apart and remove the magnetic head, but it wasn't until much later that Admiral Lockwood started investigating the problem.

So the game once again lets us cheat. But then, so does hindsight.:sunny:

Fish40
05-16-10, 07:59 AM
I always set early war torpedoes to shallow depth and slow speed. Seems to help alittle.

Sniper450
05-16-10, 12:35 PM
Is contact better than magnetic early war? What year did the magnetic get corrected? I sthat simulated in the game?

Fish40
05-16-10, 02:37 PM
Contact, although flawed is better. Just use slow speed if you fire at a 90 degree angle to the target. If you fire at an angle other than 90, fast speed has a better chance of detonating. Of course I'm talking about just until the problems are ironed out.

I don't think the influence trigger ever worked correctly due to being mis-calibrated for use in lower lattitudes. They were tested in Northern lattitudes (Rhode Island), and I guess it was assumed they would work near the equator. The difference in the earths magnetic field at the two locations proved otherwise. As far as I know, the magnetic trigger was removed.