PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves

krashkart
05-12-10, 05:39 PM
Words/phrases that twist my knickers:

blog - who's the effing genius that came up with that one? Just say "web log" or "diary" FFS. :shifty:

epic - especially when used in conjunction with "fail"

fail - especially when used in conjunction with "epic"

gay - used to mean "happy", now it means four or five different things. :damn:

epic - did I already mention this one?

consumer - I don't know why, it just pisses me off

no beer tonight, honey - pretty much means the relationship is an epic fail... oh dammit! :damn:

modders - when used in conjunction with "will fix XYZ game"

There's five seconds of your life you'll never get back. You're welcome. :up:

Weiss Pinguin
05-12-10, 06:12 PM
"Time to wake up" - probably my most least favorite phrase of all time.

GoldenRivet
05-12-10, 06:18 PM
One of the Sh5 modders wrote in his blog that his wife told him that there's "no beer money tonight, honey" he told her that their budget was an epic fail and that it was gay that they, as consumers, couldnt buy any beer.

Platapus
05-12-10, 06:42 PM
The phrase "I could care less"

For the sake of all that is held sacred. The correct phrase is, "I could not care less".

If you could care less about something, then it has some level of importance.

:damn::damn:

Sledgehammer427
05-12-10, 07:35 PM
I hate it when people tend to think I'm sounding meaner than I imply, I actually get annoyed when people start apologizing because my reaction was "firmer than usual" thanks to a splitting headache.

frau kaleun
05-12-10, 07:43 PM
I couldn't even begin to list the English grammer/spelling/usage ones, I'd be here all night.

My current major pet peeve is the new "feature" on (at least) one local news show called "What Do You Think?" or some such. This involves the news anchors reading messages that people have left on the station's web site in reponse to the online article on whatever "big story" they just finished talking about.

I watch the news for the NEWS, which granted is already an almost losing proposition, but still. What Joe Blow from down the street or across town writes in the comments section of the local news show's web blog (see what I did there?) is NOT NEWS. If I want to know what they think (or, to be more accurate in most cases, "think") I'll go to the freakin' site and read their comments myself. Why five minutes has to be wasted on this nonsense when most of the rest of the show barely scratches the surface of all the news that's out there is beyond me.

Okay, well, it's not totally beyond me. I suspect it's an attempt to generate more hits at the web site by giving its visitors a shot at getting their comments mentioned on air. Or, more likely, to generate better ratings for the TV news program by making visitors to the web site watch it just because they might see their own comments featured in the segment.

Whatever. It's annoying as hell.

TLAM Strike
05-12-10, 08:14 PM
People who toss glass bottles on the side of the road. I've replaced many tires on my bike because of that.

People who call my work to order food on a cell while driving. Yea hearing every other syllable when you're phone cuts out really helps.

When I tell someone where order will be ready in 20 minutes and they show up 10 minutes before its ready.

People whose cell rigs in the Library or Theater, can't these people read? Turn off cellphones it says that right when you walk in!

Pants sagging below top of @$$ crack, and or underwear showing while standing up. Especially when they are wearing a belt. :nope::nope::nope:

Admiral8Q
05-12-10, 08:14 PM
The phrase "I could care less"

For the sake of all that is held sacred. The correct phrase is, "I could not care less".

If you could care less about something, then it has some level of importance.

:damn::damn:

Yes either you care more, or you care less.:haha:

My pet peeve is people that use the word f**k in every sentence.:88)

Monty Python - Usage Of The Word ****.mp3 (http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/190607_kjbkl/Monty%20Python%20-%20Usage%20Of%20The%20Word%20****.mp3)

frau kaleun
05-12-10, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I f**kin' hate that too.

TLAM Strike
05-12-10, 08:28 PM
When people at work give their phone number and don't specify they are giving the area code first. Especially when its a out of the region area code and I don't recognize it.

breadcatcher101
05-12-10, 08:31 PM
I guess people saying "south" or "east" when they should be saying southern or eastern.

Admiral8Q
05-12-10, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I f**kin' hate that too.

Heh heh, it does identify the quality of ones character though.:hmmm:

krashkart
05-12-10, 08:43 PM
Yes either you care more, or you care less.:haha:

I tend to do that when I'm really upset about something, and with more colorful words mixed in to punctuate my distinct unhappiness.

frau kaleun
05-12-10, 08:45 PM
Heh heh, it does identify the quality of ones character though.:hmmm:

Generally I think it just identifies the (limited) size of one's vocabulary. :O:

I don't like what I consider to be the overuse of profanity either, mostly because it takes away from the force of such words when they're used for emphasis or to indicate the extreme nature of some situation or emotion. At which point they are very handy to have around, lol.

As Mark Twain said, "Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

And of course "overuse" is in the ears of the behearer.

Sledgehammer427
05-12-10, 09:20 PM
I tend to do that when I'm really upset about something, and with more colorful words mixed in to punctuate my distinct unhappiness.

Me too, I'm always kinda quiet so when I start talking, let alone swearing, people tend to hide
(there was a moment in high school where this girl was throwing paper ((another pet peeve of mine)) at another girl she didn't like, this was going on for a couple of days because our normal teacher had to have surgery and there was an all-too-lenient substitute, well, after this girl she didn't like left the room, she started throwing paper at the sub. That's when I got angry, I yelled "YO, enough with the go***mn paper!" I stood up, stormed over to her desk, looked her in the eye and then the sub telling me to sit down made it into my ears, I picked up the edge of her desk and walked back to mine. Last time she saw my cousin (who is a year behind me) she asked if I still wanted to kill her, to which my cousin replied "no, if he wanted to kill you he would have done so" I love my family)
hijacking complete. have a nice day :O:

TarJak
05-12-10, 10:06 PM
Here's my pet Peeves:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aIa2RbF1ULc/SnjTlR1UXtI/AAAAAAAAAkw/ulAe9_yA-mQ/s400/pet_peeves.gif

kiwi_2005
05-12-10, 10:26 PM
Ones i hate

QQ much - meaning crying much? [Oh i'll show you qq mate im gonna spam your ass with grenades!]

gg - good game after a match everyone spams gg,gg,gg,gg,gg,gg,gg,gg,gg,gg,gg, and so on lol :damn:

Just got Raped by so and so - now this one when i first read it in chat i thought whats they going on about. lines like Oh man I just got raped or face raped! meaning they just got hammered by another player or whatever. Using the word RAPE though is scary.

Reece
05-12-10, 11:04 PM
This one especially gets my goat:
"You have received an infraction at SUBSIM Radio Room Forums"

UnderseaLcpl
05-13-10, 06:27 AM

My pet peeve is f**ks who want to sabotage half of my vocabulary.:DL

You may not appreciate the grammatical and linguistic miracle that is the f-word, but if it were not for that four-letter piece of profanity, nothing would ever get done in the military, as troops would have no way to communicate or organize.

Most people think that the most basic level of unit organization is the squad or the fire team. Technically, that is true, but in reality the basic unit of military organization is the gaggle-*******, which consists of three or more non-rates doing something completely unproductive. When two or more gaggle-*******s coalesce, they become a cluster-*******, and there is often an NCO or even an SNCO in the mix. At this point, all activity becomes counter-productive. Most military activity falls into one of these two categories.

The supreme level of military organization is the Mongolian cluster-*******, which requires the presence of field-grade officers. In actuality, it is just a bunch of cluster-*******s that are supposedly working together for a common objective. The Mongolian cluster-******* is highly unstable and is only manifested for brief periods before the officers just give up and go back to whatever it was they were doing before.

In theory, there is another level of military disorganization...I mean organization, that consists solely of officers. It is spoken of in hushed whispers throughout the ranks but none have ever seen it, and there is no f-word derivative to describe it. The only evidence of it exists in conference rooms that are occupied only by styrofoam cups with what appears to be coffee residue in them, and the occasional half-baked plan scrawled on a dry-erase board or memo pad. Judging from these "plans", it would appear that this level of disorganization is counter-counter-counter-productive, which is to say that it actually negates any accidental benefit from normal counterproductivity.

In any case, overuse of the word "*******" and all derivatives are integral to military operations, and a therefore a matter of national security. As such, your annoyance at the profane term makes you a terrorist threat. You have been reported to the authorities, sir:DL

HunterICX
05-13-10, 06:35 AM
Generally I think it just identifies the (limited) size of one's vocabulary. :O:

Scarface disagrees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahh1rP0qL-s

HunterICX

krashkart
05-13-10, 07:07 AM
My pet peeve is f**ks who want to sabotage half of my vocabulary.:DL

You may not appreciate the grammatical and linguistic miracle that is the f-word, but if it were not for that four-letter piece of profanity, nothing would ever get done in the military, as troops would have no way to communicate or organize.

Most people think that the most basic level of unit organization is the squad or the fire team. Technically, that is true, but in reality the basic unit of military organization is the gaggle-*******, which consists of three or more non-rates doing something completely unproductive. When two or more gaggle-*******s coalesce, they become a cluster-*******, and there is often an NCO or even an SNCO in the mix. At this point, all activity becomes counter-productive. Most military activity falls into one of these two categories.

The supreme level of military organization is the Mongolian cluster-*******, which requires the presence of field-grade officers. In actuality, it is just a bunch of cluster-*******s that are supposedly working together for a common objective. The Mongolian cluster-******* is highly unstable and is only manifested for brief periods before the officers just give up and go back to whatever it was they were doing before.

In theory, there is another level of military disorganization...I mean organization, that consists solely of officers. It is spoken of in hushed whispers throughout the ranks but none have ever seen it, and there is no f-word derivative to describe it. The only evidence of it exists in conference rooms that are occupied only by styrofoam cups with what appears to be coffee residue in them, and the occasional half-baked plan scrawled on a dry-erase board or memo pad. Judging from these "plans", it would appear that this level of disorganization is counter-counter-counter-productive, which is to say that it actually negates any accidental benefit from normal counterproductivity.

In any case, overuse of the word "*******" and all derivatives are integral to military operations, and a therefore a matter of national security. As such, your annoyance at the profane term makes you a terrorist threat. You have been reported to the authorities, sir:DL

:har::rotfl2::har::har:

frau kaleun
05-13-10, 07:08 AM
:har::rotfl2::har::har:

Ditto. :haha:

Blood_splat
05-13-10, 07:13 AM
When your Boss says "Lets Roll" it makes me want to kill someone.:rotfl2:

Sailor Steve
05-13-10, 08:56 AM
I get really annoyed when James comes up with a better one than I could.

Way to go bro!:rock:

SteamWake
05-13-10, 10:57 AM
My pet peeve is pepole whom bash a game they dont even own.

HunterICX
05-13-10, 11:00 AM
I hate people who think they have Zero acountability for their stupidity and always put the blame on something/Someone else.

HunterICX

SteamWake
05-13-10, 01:46 PM
I hate people who think they have Zero acountability for their stupidity and always put the blame on something/Someone else.

HunterICX

I agree but I had nothing to do with that... :salute:

Dowly
05-13-10, 02:01 PM
This one especially gets my goat:
"You have received an infraction at SUBSIM Radio Room Forums"

Do like me, think of them as badges you try to earn. Try to collect as many as you can, from different reasons. I gots 4 unique ones already including a rare one that got reversed afterwards. :smug:

(Seriously, that's about the only thing they are good for. :hmmm:)

Sledgehammer427
05-13-10, 06:43 PM
like the boy scouts! :hmmm:

(or finding artifacts in STALKER)

Platapus
05-13-10, 06:55 PM
When your Boss says "Lets Roll" it makes me want to kill someone.:rotfl2:

Crikey, I had a boss who did that all the time after 911. GRRRR so annoying.

frau kaleun
05-13-10, 06:59 PM
like the boy scouts! :hmmm:

Just think of them as De-Merit Badges. :O:

GoldenRivet
05-13-10, 07:09 PM
My pet peeve is people who say "we need to..." or "we should..." or "we ought to" but in reality they have no intention of being productively involved in any project.

I work with an individual like this.

every day, he has a big new idea (and ironically he is the one person in the position to make all of these big new ideas a reality) but he is always saying...

"We should ______" just fill in the blank. Name it... build a new awning onto the front of the business, open a new venue to raise public awareness, have some sort of special event etc etc.

however, he never has anything else to say on the matter beyond "we should" or "we need to.." etc.

we call this person "we we" as his nick name :haha:

oddly enough he is in JUST the appropriate position if "authority" to make all of these "we need" statements occur within a matter of days if he had the proper motivation.

one such "we we" moment is a local venue to be constructed that has been discussed time and time again.

The money is in place

the building materials are in place

the people who know how to run and manage it are all in place

but for 18 months now all we get is the occasional "We really need do that."

perhaps he doesnt realize that he is the individual with the final go no-go decision?! and the minute he says "Go" he would have a dozen eager people on the project immediately!

:nope: :wah: :har: :shifty:

em2nought
05-13-10, 09:05 PM
Here's mine: People who wait till the cashier gives them a total to get their checkbook out of their purse and start filling in the check. Guess it should be people that pay at the grocery store with a check period because they almost all wait till they have the total to get the checkbook out of the purse.

Reece
05-13-10, 09:06 PM
Do like me, think of them as badges you try to earn. Try to collect as many as you can, from different reasons. I gots 4 unique ones already including a rare one that got reversed afterwards. :smug:

(Seriously, that's about the only thing they are good for. :hmmm:)Well I don't think I will try to outdo you on that Dowly, my luck wouldn't be quite as good!!:har:

CaptainHaplo
05-13-10, 09:09 PM
Words/phrases that twist my knickers:

Emphasis added to what really gets me....

*Edit - oh wait - that was spelled with an I..... never mind....

krashkart
05-13-10, 09:12 PM
What? You don't like having your knickers twisted, Cap'n? :)

EDIT:

I R confused now. :88)

CaptainHaplo
05-13-10, 09:17 PM
Uhm... krashkart...

change the I in Knickers to a different letter.....

Wheres a facepalm when I need one. *I'm just given you a hard time krashkart!

krashkart
05-13-10, 09:26 PM
*looks down own shirt*

Man oh man, I knew Thailand on a bender would be a bad idea. :oops:

EDIT:

Haplo, is this what you were looking for? (I stole it from someone in SH5 forum who stole it from... somewhere... etc)

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/attachments/open-forum/27457d1244675809-ok-wheres-facepalm-emoticon-double-facepalm.jpg

nikimcbee
05-13-10, 09:34 PM
*looks down own shirt*

Man oh man, I knew Thailand on a bender would be a bad idea. :oops:

And thats coming from Mr. Carmen Miranda:har:

Speaking of pet peeves, bad table manners, chewing with you mouth open:stare: will set me off pretty damn fast. If you buy my wife a pack of gum, I'll buy your kids a drum set for christmas:stare:.

I couldn't copy-paste-close this window fast enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVMkMbimN4&feature=related

And the worst part is, I'm a total ass about letting you know I don't like listening to to chew your freekin' gum:stare:.

krashkart
05-13-10, 10:56 PM
And thats coming from Mr. Carmen Miranda:har:

Anything for a laugh. :up:

BTW, what happens if a drummer buys your wife a pack of gum? :har:

nikimcbee
05-14-10, 12:19 AM
McBee gets angry....homer angry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNuP674T0w

Rilder
05-14-10, 04:37 AM

I usually try and stick F**K into my speech as much as I can. :rotfl2:

Also, I have a pretty big pet peeve about when the words "b**ch" and "Hoe" are used as general references to women instead of insults.

"Damn, check out the rack on that b**ch" :nope:

Dowly
05-14-10, 04:43 AM
"Gangsta" talk. :nope:

Bleh
05-14-10, 04:46 AM
People who use "innit" in any kind of way
being told i sound like a scouser (Im from Stoke on Trent)
The first thing anyone ever says to me when i first meet them generally includes "christ your a big one" or "how tall are you?" followed by a gawp.

They are probably my 3 best peeves.