PDA

View Full Version : Wheres my Deck Gun Crew slot??

rein1705
05-11-10, 08:10 PM
Hi I'm running FOTRS and I've been doing great. started my campaign in Alaska with the S-47 in 42 and now its late mid-late 43. Ive completed 12 patrols now with this crew and have some impressive tonnage. been promoted to the Snapper, a Solomon class fleet boat. Last patrol i received a conning tower refit which gave me a second aa gun. hears the problem... i had my deck gun on the aft of my boat, it gave me one automatically on the bow (where i really wanted it anyway) but the slot where the crewmen are assigned to the weapon has vanished.... when i take the boat out the gun IS there but theirs no crew to man it but me. :hmmm:
this is the same for bow and aft mounts with both the 3 50 gun and the 4 50 gun. any clue as to why and how to correct this? id hate to lose my fine veteran crew and start all over.:cry:
and I'm not that great a shot with the deck gun by myself. I get lazy and just want to watch the crew turn fishing boats into drift wood.:DL

magic452
05-12-10, 12:12 AM
There is a fix for that but it involves editing some files. Rather complicated I think.

Best bet may be to go back to your auto save entering the base and put the deck gun back on the stern mount when you get the up grade tower.

I like the bow mount as well and also like to watch as my guys nail things.
You know the old saying "you can never have too much drift wood" :know:

Magic

hywminstrel
05-12-10, 02:20 AM
I had the same thing happen with my Balao in August '44. My fore 5" gun was replaced with an aft 3" one. The crew section disappeared and my gun crew was moved to Hogan's Alley. Didn't matter what I did, I couldn't get the crew back.

I'm running RFB + RSRD so it's not your mod (nor, apparently, mine).

~M~

Admiral8Q
05-12-10, 03:44 AM
There is definitely a deck gun bug in this game. :nope:

rein1705
05-13-10, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys, I'm currently on patrol with the boat way out in the Bismark sea, sunk 2 Maru's for 17,000 something and the deck gun is slow all by myself lol. I'll just stick it out and see what happens next time i put in at Brisbane. :arrgh!:

breadcatcher101
05-14-10, 12:14 AM
Yeah, for some reason you can't switch ends with your gun. If it is aft, upgrade if you like but it has to remain aft. Same thing for a foward mounted gun.

rein1705
05-14-10, 07:11 PM
Will keep that in mind thanks. :arrgh!:

hywminstrel
05-14-10, 09:47 PM
I know about the fore/aft gun thing but there's not much you can do about it when the game does it automatically. Even putting the gun back where it belongs doesn't bring the crew slots back.... frustrating.

~M~

Diopos
05-15-10, 01:45 AM
Well if your sub has an aft gun and you prefer a bow one, you can always go in for the kill running you engines in reverse. Then your aft has become your bow.......
Don't laugh ... this a well thought out Ubisoft solution. Obviously it has alot to do with stsndard company policies, ie sit on our heads, think with our *sses.

sorry, couldn't resist the rant ...............

rein1705
05-15-10, 10:14 PM
lol ubi is funny like that. Kinda like the rafts that are manned upside down and the bow plains that freeze on there own...

Fish40
05-16-10, 07:48 AM
Ran into that as well. I think if you man the gun yourself, you'll be ok. My aim is better than my crew's anyway.

JREX53
05-16-10, 10:44 AM
The missing crew slots when you move your deck gun is a stock bug.

Go to this link and it will tell you how you can set up your crew for your deck gun:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1075778&postcount=7

hywminstrel
05-16-10, 02:54 PM
Thanks, Jrex.:salute: Makes me kind of wish I hadn't deleted that game with about 10 months in the war left to go ..... :damn:

~M~

Kissaki
05-18-10, 02:52 AM
The missing crew slots when you move your deck gun is a stock bug.

Go to this link and it will tell you how you can set up your crew for your deck gun:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1075778&postcount=7

That seems to be for being able to fire the deck gun yourself, as the complaint in that thread is that only the crew can man the guns (with the two gun upgrade). This is rather the opposite problem, no? So will it work?

Also, the file in that link pertains to saved games. Shouldn't this be fixeable in SH4's Data folder?

JREX53
05-18-10, 09:53 AM
Kissaki,

As I recall, you can only fire the forward deck gun if 2 guns are installed. The game does not allow you to select which gun you can fire manually.

The OP's question was how to set up the crew slots to man the gun with "crew members". The link I indicated was for setting up the crew slots for the new gun.

As far as I know you can not change the data file in the game, it is hard coded, you can only change the save files.

Kissaki
05-18-10, 01:17 PM
Kissaki,

As I recall, you can only fire the forward deck gun if 2 guns are installed. The game does not allow you to select which gun you can fire manually.

The OP's question was how to set up the crew slots to man the gun with "crew members". The link I indicated was for setting up the crew slots for the new gun.

As far as I know you can not change the data file in the game, it is hard coded, you can only change the save files.
Thanks for the reply. There is no trouble firing the deck gun manually, but as none of the crew can be assigned to it, its operation is slow (and can only be done manually). I haven't had any trouble with the manual part as of yet, but then I haven't tried the dual-mount variant.

I am sailing on a Porpoise, by the way, and never had this problem on my S-18. I thought maybe upgrading to a rear mount instead of the bow mount would fix things, but it didn't, as others have pointed out here.

But I think I'll tamper with the file now, and see how that works out.