PDA

View Full Version : TO UBI

zwindel
05-11-10, 02:41 PM
UBI, give the modders some euro's or dollars and they fix the game for u. All happy. End of line.....

Greatings from Jan from Holland (Pays Bas ore The Netherlands)

Diopos
05-11-10, 02:48 PM
Nope. Not "some" euros. If people are gonna be payed it must be "proper" euros.
On the other hand if they're not intersted in SH anymore the "noble" thing to do would be to release the code ...

Yeah right.......

Sonarman
05-11-10, 02:56 PM
Perhaps a controlled release of source coordinated by Neal with confidentiality agreements with Ubisoft signed by any who work on the code?

Skyraptor
05-11-10, 02:57 PM
Man are you a dreamer.

Madox58
05-11-10, 03:00 PM
That would happen just a quickly as allowing the U.S. to fly over France to bomb Libya did back in the '80s.
:nope:

zwindel
05-11-10, 03:06 PM
That would happen just a quickly as allowing the U.S. to fly over France to bomb Libya did back in the '80s.

Hehehehe..... Well, who knows....

zwindel
05-11-10, 03:07 PM
Man are you a dreamer.

Yep, maybe a bad dreamer.........

zwindel
05-11-10, 03:12 PM
Perhaps a controlled release of source coordinated by Neal with confidentiality agreements with Ubisoft signed by any who work on the code?

Sure, why not???? If the game works good all happy, so i agree. Cheers mate.

krashkart
05-11-10, 03:15 PM
Negotiate a license agreement with Ubi. You'll get a lot farther that way than by posting here. *shrug*

Madox58
05-11-10, 03:22 PM
People have been bending over backwards kissing arse since SH3
to have just a small chance to improve this series.
And we got SH5 as an answer.
Then got slapped in the face AGAIN!

I'll not have anything to do with any new Ubi Games EVER again.
Je suis fait avec des produits Ubisoft!

orangehat44
05-11-10, 03:32 PM
Good luck trying to get the source code from the company instituting DRM on their games

Nisgeis
05-11-10, 03:35 PM
Careful! Ubi will take your money and then give you the source to SH5, the ipod version.

Madox58
05-11-10, 03:40 PM
No,
they will take your money, take your IPod,
blow up oil rigs off the coast of Texas,
then surrender when confronted!

Once War reparations are levied?
It will take them decades to repay them!
All the while ripping us off!

And our fearless Leaders will allow this to go on.

SteamWake
05-11-10, 03:46 PM
if you dont think the developers look into the modders work when making their 'patch' you are mistaken.

Besides there is specific language that allows the developers to use modder's efforts without recompense. It is considered UBI's intellectual property... end of line.

Madox58
05-11-10, 03:52 PM
I don't think any Modder cares if they use thier work.
I can see several Guns I did for VonDos re-done in SH5.
I consider that a very big compliment myself!
It's the BS that keeps getting thrown in our faces I'm ticked about.

Adriatico
05-11-10, 04:02 PM
Well, it is last minute to organize a petition to GWX team - to continue and finnish GWX4...
This community deserves modern sub SIMULATION (OFFLINE).

I would be the first one to pay $ for a download.

Is it really too late ?
"All you need is good men"

Let the SH5 fans enjoy their ONLINE RPG, or whatever it is, without our complaining... SH5 should have it's chance... but SubSimulation community also deserved its chance in future...

Sonarman
05-11-10, 04:48 PM

Man are you a dreamer.

There is some precedent for this, it happened in the case of SHII & DC when an independent software contractor under Neal's instruction/ contract modified the original multiplayer code with the permission of Ubi to Direct Play format so.... could it happen again?

Madox58
05-11-10, 05:06 PM
Well, it is last minute to organize a petition to GWX team - to continue and finnish GWX4...

Is it really too late ?

There are a number of the GWX Team doing things.
It's in NO WAY a major Mod effort.
Nor can you call it a GW Team effort.
Unofficially?
You might want to call it the Marble Cake Idiots!
:haha:
And those involved have pretty much decided on an
Open Source type deal.
We will not hide any thing we are doing.

Takeda Shingen
05-11-10, 05:36 PM
There is some precedent for this, it happened in the case of SHII & DC when Duane Doutel under Neal's instruction/ contract modified the original multiplayer code with the permission of Ubi to Direct Play format so.... could it happen again? (not with Duane Doutel though as that ended rather controversially!)

Ugh. No Doutel.

Adriatico
05-11-10, 05:40 PM
Exuse me privateer... is it just my English... or I do see some light at the end of tunnel ?

If I got it right... "paramilitary gangs" of ex-GWX elite force continue to fight ?
:up:

Is there "retired" stamp missing on your signature?
:o

Wheeere the hell is spokesman Jimbuna when you need him most ?!?

LukeFF
05-11-10, 05:44 PM
Exuse me privateer... is it just my English... or I do see some light at the end of tunnel ?

If I got it right... "paramilitary gangs" of ex-GWX elite force continue to fight ?
:up:

Seriously, get over this fascination already that GWX is the be-all and end-all of the Silent Hunter modding community. There are plenty of other good modders out there creating content for the last three versions of the game.

Faamecanic
05-11-10, 05:48 PM
Seriously, get over this fascination already that GWX is the be-all and end-all of the Silent Hunter modding community. There are plenty of other good modders out there creating content for the last three versions of the game.

While I LOVE MY GWX... there are a lot of talented modders in this community that will be ready to pitch in.

I just hope we eventually get to a supermod that does all that GWX did as far as combining these great works into one big compatible mod.

I dont care who is on the team at that point or what they call themselves.

So I take it by this thread the patch was a serious let down.... hate to say it....I told you all so... :nope: :down:

Sailor Steve
05-11-10, 05:48 PM
As I (and a couple of the GWX team) have said repeatedly in the past. My hope from Privateer's comment is that everyone can work together to pool the immense talent available all over this forum (your own self included) to make something truly memorable out of this game.

Adriatico
05-11-10, 05:50 PM
I don't give a damn who could do it... but we need a modern Atlantic simulation... it is not "my fascination" but the fact that there is no other organized moding force that would deliver something like GWX4 project.

If there is... hail the new king!

Stronghold
05-11-10, 06:27 PM

Is it really too late ?

Let the SH5 fans enjoy their ONLINE RPG, or whatever it is, without our complaining... SH5 should have it's chance... but SubSimulation community also deserved its chance in future...

Finally, a good idea ...

longam
05-11-10, 06:48 PM
I'm feeling a new day and a new era coming with this version of SH. GWX or not , this will be beyond what we have seen in the past.

Lets face it, every version of SH has had some really bad starts before the modding has begun. Now we have some uber glue to work with.

Madox58
05-11-10, 07:20 PM
It's not our intentions to add hopes that there would EVER be a GWX Mod.
Nor do any of us wish to imply false hopes!
Some of us merely started a new forum to play around in.
It is open to those that wish to join with open minds.

Madox58
05-11-10, 08:57 PM
Is there "retired" stamp missing on your signature?
:o
It is not missing.
I just never adopted it.
(I like it that way cause it REALLY bothers some people that just can't let go!)
It means nothing in the long term.
Nor the short term for that matter.
Until I am told to place it on my signature?
It's not going to be there.
If that ever happens?
I'll change the signature completely.

Reece
05-11-10, 11:57 PM
Well GWX 4 was stopped primarily because SH5 was just around the corner, knowing now the way SH5 is maybe SH4 should be reviewed again by the GWX team!:hmmm:

McBeck
05-12-10, 01:22 AM
Ugh. No Doutel.Dont go there

LukeFF
05-12-10, 05:50 PM
Well GWX 4 was stopped primarily because SH5 was just around the corner, knowing now the way SH5 is maybe SH4 should be reviewed again by the GWX team!:hmmm:

Again, why? Why do people like you persist in believing only GWX could make quality mods for this game?

kylania
05-12-10, 05:58 PM
Again, why? Why do people like you persist in believing only GWX could make quality mods for this game?

The same reason they believe that Nvidia is the best video card, or ATI is, or that Coke is the better beverage over Pepsi. It's what they know and enjoy.

When they say "We need GWX for SH5" they aren't saying "RUB and TMO and NYGM and all those others suck, we only like GWX!" they are saying "I want the same experience I enjoyed when I used GWX in SH3!"

janh
05-12-10, 06:09 PM
I think most people use the term "GWX", but actually mean any of the supermods that were cream and cherries on SHIII. RUB, TMO, NYGM,... are surely all well worse praise, but GWX just served the widest audience, most features and most players ideas. But that does not detract in any sense from the other mods.

It will be interesting to see if for SHV similarly strong and dedicated teams of modders will form that can add as much content as did the old supermods to SHIII. Although I almost think it will be hard to beat these old kings, even if SHV were patched spontaneously into perfection...

Takeda Shingen
05-12-10, 06:11 PM
Let's not turn this into yet another mod team cage match, shall we?

The Management

Madox58
05-12-10, 08:01 PM
lukeff,
I and many others have tried to end this GWX posting type stuff.
We have offered not only a new forum but anything developed there.
Free for anyone that wants it!
The only one that raises rants is?

Not a good sign for a 'so called' Military Person.
How's the last psyc tests looking?
:hmmm:

ddrgn
05-12-10, 08:08 PM
The same reason they believe that Nvidia is the best video card, or ATI is, or that Coke is the better beverage over Pepsi. It's what they know and enjoy.

When they say "We need GWX for SH5" they aren't saying "RUB and TMO and NYGM and all those others suck, we only like GWX!" they are saying "I want the same experience I enjoyed when I used GWX in SH3!"

God I love Coke, its worse than the actual drug. Drink more water!

Madox58
05-12-10, 08:18 PM
God I love Coke, its worse than the actual drug. Drink more water!

Coke started with the actual drug included.
That's where it took it's name.
Then being True American Entrepreneurs?
It was sold to the World in the name of Profits.
Profit pops up alot in selling things.

Goods and Religion are the top sellers useing Profits.

Reece
05-12-10, 08:18 PM
Again, why? Why do people like you persist in believing only GWX could make quality mods for this game?Because a team working together on a mod have to be compatible with each others work, the mod is tested by the team before releasing, one person working on a mod that may well be a conflict with others will never achieve what a team will do, and really is only a wishful hint.:yep:

Jimbuna
05-13-10, 11:19 AM
Wheeere the hell is spokesman Jimbuna when you need him most ?!?

I'm here matey....watching the thread with interest...and agreeing with everything Privateer has thus far posted.

As I (and a couple of the GWX team) have said repeatedly in the past. My hope from Privateer's comment is that everyone can work together to pool the immense talent available all over this forum (your own self included) to make something truly memorable out of this game.

Precisely.

609_Avatar
05-13-10, 01:27 PM

Well said sir.

LukeFF, you seem a little defensive or touchy in your posts here. No one was saying anything other than they liked what they got/experienced with GWX. Saying "Why do people like you persist in believing only GWX could make quality mods for this game?" is a bit of a stretch and is only in your mind from what I've read.

Kpt. Lehmann
05-13-10, 03:09 PM
I and many others have tried to end this GWX posting type stuff.

... and on the other hand, if various members of the community feel that we did our job well enough in building GWX... and it is remembered with good thoughts in the days and years to come...

... those of us who crafted it, should never feel like we have to apologize to anyone... ever... for having done a good job.

For those that still HATE after all this time... you should just get over it.

Hate won't keep you warm at night, make you live longer, or serve the community in the SLIGHTEST.

Bilge_Rat
05-13-10, 03:23 PM
I dont really care who turns out the SH5 supermod, whether it is GWX5 or RUB5 or NYGM5. They will all have my support..:salute:

Obviously we all know it will take time and effort. SH3 was not turned from the "..broken, unplayable, half-finished.." state it was in at release into its current mature state in one day....:ping:

Nisgeis
05-13-10, 03:35 PM
Because a team working together on a mod have to be compatible with each others work, the mod is tested by the team before releasing, one person working on a mod that may well be a conflict with others will never achieve what a team will do, and really is only a wishful hint.:yep:

Your response didn't tie in with what was said, so when you say GWX, do you mean 'mod team', or do you mean 'a specific mod team comprising people who had worked on the previous GWX mod'? I think that's the key distinction here. Any team can get together and work on a large mod and test it all, but if you want a fantasy mod team of yesteryear, then I don't think that's going to happen.

No one is disputing that a team can achieve more than an individual, but your posts suggest that you want one specific set of people to work on one specific mod and nothing else will do. Is that the case?

Kpt. Lehmann
05-13-10, 04:00 PM
As Reece is offline, I'm going to add some other thoughts here:

I can tell you and/or anyone definitively... as the GWX Project founder and manager... That the GWX project is being maintained as a terminated project. Myself and Jimbuna hold the keys to its name/title, and it will not be 'resurrected.'

This does nothing to interfere with or prevent other modders from coming together to build future projects of their own.

I think in a general sense, that people (including Reece IMHO) are using the name "GWX" as an adjective while they are trying to describe what they hope for from SH modders while being lost in the morass that UBISOFT pitched them into with their current release.

LukeFF
05-13-10, 04:27 PM
My complaint is not with any of the mods that have been created for SH3 or later - be they GWX, NYGM, etc. My beef is with people who, in their request for new mods, post something to the effect of:

"We need GWX"
"We should petition GWX to come back and fix the game"
"Ubisoft should ask GWX to fix the game"
"Ubisoft should just contract with GWX when releasing the next version of the game"

And so forth. I cannot speak for other modders out there, but for me, personally, when I read comments like that, it is an insult to the time and effort I have put in to creating quality mod work for others to enjoy. I personally do not care how many how many downloads RFB or RUB receives. All I ask is that people stop putting modders on a pedestal and making comments like the ones above.

@privateer: think what you want about me, however, misguided that may be.

Kpt. Lehmann
05-13-10, 06:30 PM
...I cannot speak for other modders out there, but for me, personally, when I read comments like that, it is an insult to the time and effort I have put in to creating quality mod work for others to enjoy.

Welcome to the hell that we had to live in. Its part of the whole process of being a major mod producer. I'm not gonna re-hash old flame wars... but it would seems that the shoe is simply on the other foot in some ways now.

There is nothing easy about leading a project. The best thing that you can do though instead of lashing out... is to spend that energy providing for your mod project. In the end, the quality of the the work (or lack thereof if things don't go well) will do the talking for you. Its all up to you... and how well you can herd cats.

Trying to 'adjust' peoples' thoughts and opinions regarding matters that they are passionate about is usually just a waste of time and energy anyway.

Shandiir
05-13-10, 07:09 PM
I am enjoying SHIII with SH Commander and GWX.

I thanks all who inputted into both mods i use and to all the other mods out there.

Since the Modder community is here why not call the SH5 mod Crew something new? eg

The SubSim Squad ....... All modders welcome....

Just an idea. :know:

Sailor Steve
05-13-10, 08:09 PM
My beef is with people who, in their request for new mods, post something to the effect of:

"We need GWX"
"We should petition GWX to come back and fix the game"
"Ubisoft should ask GWX to fix the game"
"Ubisoft should just contract with GWX when releasing the next version of the game"
And so forth. Luke, I agree with you completely on that, but you're never going to make people stop saying things like that. Not to insult the average gamer, but most of them don't know any better. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. I know. I grind my teeth every time someone says "GWX made this game what it should have been in the first place". SH3 is still not what it should have been in the first place. All the major supermods go a long way to improve it, and a whole lot of great mods are still doing that every day. I just posted a huge heap of praise in the thread for FlakMonkey's Improved Interiors mod.

I play both SH3 and SH4, U-boats and Fleet Boats. I use RFB for one, and OM for the other, and I love them both. On the U-boat side I wish that some of the things from GWX would be modded in - the airships and harbor stuff mainly. I also wish that WAC's awesom Kiel bridges were in there (in fact I wish I could have them mixed in with other things I like for SH3). I also wish I could see the new Wilhelmshaven and other things in SH4. I might even stop playing SH3.

So I know that one supermod deserves praise, but so do the others. Unfortunately some people will never see past their own computer screens. But Kap is right - you have to let it go. It's probably never going to change, and you'll give yourself ulcers letting it eat you up. Even Privateer said earlier that it annoys him too.

I support you and your mods, and give praise to both when I think of it. Join in with the new gang and see what we can accomplish.:sunny:

And the next time someone says those words you hate so much, I'll kick them for you.:D

Spartan
05-13-10, 10:56 PM
People have been bending over backwards kissing arse since SH3
to have just a small chance to improve this series.
And we got SH5 as an answer.
Then got slapped in the face AGAIN!

That has been my position for some time now... :yep:

Carotio
05-14-10, 02:16 AM

It is obvious that you wanted to translate: I'm done with Ubisoft products into French, but it's incorrect, you cannot say that in French and get the same meaning. It kind of made me giggle a bit... :DL

Something like this is more correct:
J'en ai marre des produits Ubisoft, j'en veux plus

Any French member can correct me if I'm wrong.

jean74
05-14-10, 02:36 AM
It is obvious that you wanted to translate: I'm done with Ubisoft products into French, but it's incorrect, you cannot say that in French and get the same meaning. It kind of made me giggle a bit... :DL

Something like this is more correct:
J'en ai marre des produits Ubisoft, j'en veux plus

Any French member can correct me if I'm wrong.

I Carotio,

Your translation is like your Mods : Perfect !!!
I'am ashamed by this "french" product (computerized by Romanian sudio) and by UBISOFT "communication" arround SH5. However SH5 could be an incredible simulation.

Thanks to all Modders,

Best regards,

Jean

Adriatico
05-14-10, 02:58 AM
Welcome to the hell that we had to live in. Its part of the whole process of being a major mod producer. I'm not gonna re-hash old flame wars... but it would seems that the shoe is simply on the other foot in some ways now.

There is nothing easy about leading a project. The best thing that you can do though instead of lashing out... is to spend that energy providing for your mod project. In the end, the quality of the the work (or lack thereof if things don't go well) will do the talking for you. Its all up to you... and how well you can herd cats.

Trying to 'adjust' peoples' thoughts and opinions regarding matters that they are passionate about is usually just a waste of time and energy anyway.

So... in a few words, we can forget GWX4... and we have to live with this SH5 in a years to come... i.e. to change our hobby in a future...
:dead:

JScones
05-14-10, 03:17 AM
Luke, I agree with you completely on that, but you're never going to make people stop saying things like that. Not to insult the average gamer, but most of them don't know any better. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. I know. I grind my teeth every time someone says "GWX made this game what it should have been in the first place". SH3 is still not what it should have been in the first place. All the major supermods go a long way to improve it, and a whole lot of great mods are still doing that every day...
Yup, I agree. Sometimes the term "GWX" seems to be used innocently as a collective noun that may refer to any supermod (like Coke is often used to refer to Cola), and other times it seems just simple player naivety (for various reasons).

I can't recall a time recently though where I've seen it used in a spiteful or derogatory way against other mods or modders.

makman94
05-14-10, 03:38 AM
the question for me is only this :

why the devs are not correcting ALL the bugs so many years ? and i mean ALL of them (not at sh5 only but at the most succefull of the series sh3 and also at sh4).
i mean whats the point of releasing a patch that is correcting SOME of them.....don't they know the existance of the bugs (you may say) ? i guess not,they know very well all the bugs but they don't correcting them (this has nothing to do with ubi)
if they trully loved that game they would have done that at their free time for free ,without getting paid . it would be a gift for their 'child' (not for ubisoft,not for anyone...just for their pleasure) .modders have spent much more of their free time for their 'child' (for free) .
you see .....when we talk for passions....money has no place

LukeFF
05-17-10, 11:44 PM
So... in a few words, we can forget GWX4... and we have to live with this SH5 in a years to come... i.e. to change our hobby in a future...
:dead:

And yet, somehow, life goes on.

Sailor Steve
05-18-10, 12:07 AM
And yet, somehow, life goes on.
And so do mods and modders.:rock:

Spartan
05-20-10, 08:13 AM
And so do mods and modders.:rock:
QFT++++ :up: