PDA

View Full Version : No sound contact on bearing ???

Chubster
05-11-10, 12:40 PM
My sonar man keeps saying this....even though he has already reported it. Every time I ask him to follow contact he just repeats the same but eacj the bearing will be different. For instance

No sound contact on bearing 050
No sound contact on bearing 214

blah blah blah......and then sometimes after just saying the above he picks it up.

What gives ?

Diopos
05-11-10, 01:42 PM
Ubisoft Alzheimer's!

:DL

BillBam
05-11-10, 01:47 PM
Two things, there is a known SH4 bug of sonar man not picking up sonar contacts. Also if the weather is bad this could cause the sonar to go in and out until it gets to a dependable range.

Bilge_Rat
05-11-10, 02:19 PM
There is a max range at which the sonarman will report contacts. I think it is 20,000 yds which is the max for "long range". If you man the sonar yourself, you can often clearly hear a contact, even when the sonarman says there are no contacts.

Diopos
05-11-10, 02:27 PM
It can be the other way round, too. The sonar man reporting or tracking contacts you can't pick on the sonar yourself.

Platapus
05-11-10, 06:52 PM
Or they are reporting no sound contact on the last known bearing?

NorthBeach
05-11-10, 08:58 PM
That would be Bernard on duty at Sonar. Got a dear Bernie letter from his gal a while back. Now he nips at the Torpedo Juice from time to time. Keeps mumbling about, "that Ethel Pumper at the Flying A station". Drives my XO nuts. I just go have a listen for myself...

magic452
05-12-10, 12:18 AM
One other thing that will give you this is if you ask to follow nearest contact with the scope up and have visual on the contact. Put the scope down and ask and it will work even after you put the scope back up.

Magic

Admiral8Q
05-12-10, 01:31 AM
Chub, could you be more specific of your situation? Please?