PDA

View Full Version : Torrent download blocked?

Reece
05-10-10, 07:34 PM
This is weird, I have been downloading GWX 3 via Torrent and is nearly finished but uTorrent has stopped responding, I then tried some other torrents but it's totally dead, I then saved the current system image with ghost and restored a 3 month old system, this is dead also, so it can't be my system, also tried running emule, this is dead as well!:cry:
Browsing the internet, emails and general downloading works fine, most frustrating!
Any Idea's?:hmmm:

Wolfehunter
05-10-10, 08:56 PM
Many things can block a torrent. Firewall, routers, ISP, Other governing bodies working againts torrents. Thottling, etc..

Hard to say what your ISP grant level of access.

CaptainHaplo
05-10-10, 09:43 PM
Try downloading something else via torrent. See if that works. For example, all Relic Game Patches are distributed via torrent from their website. See if that will DL. If not, then it looks like your ISP has killed ALL torrent traffic. I would then give them a ring, and a rather large piece of my mind - since DL'ing patches and stuff like GWX are legitimate uses of torrents.

Doubtful that it would be anything like a firewall/router. Torrents usually come thru such fine since your using a client that goes out to find them - the internal action opens the gate.

My money is on the ISP.

Arclight
05-10-10, 10:07 PM
Mine too. :-?

With Comcast winning their case, it seems net neutrality is going out of style.

I fear we'll see a rash of ISPs that start controlling what kinds of traffic are allowed or blocked. P2P would be top of the list for them to block.

It's their own damn fault for expanding beyond their capacity, but of course, as always, it's the paying customer that will suffer for it. :nope:

Reece
05-10-10, 10:42 PM
Gad that's a horrible thought Arclight, I have an older computer and that is dead as well so I would say it is my ISP!:cry:
I will send them an email, forget trying to phone them all you get is India!! after being in a lineup with awful music in the background for half an hour!!:damn:
EDIT: Complaining did it!! Both are working again!!:yeah:

CaptainHaplo
05-11-10, 06:07 AM
Good to see you got some decent customer service! I expect alot of ISP's may look at this soon. Hope Arclight gets the same good ending!

Reece
05-11-10, 08:41 AM
Truth be known they are just trying to reduce the bandwidth, nothing to do with piracy or ethics!:yep:
Torrent use is good for those large files, can start and stop when ever it suits, and if my ISP drops out no problems just auto starts again!:up:

SteamWake
05-11-10, 10:46 AM
Mine too. :-?

With Comcast winning their case, it seems net neutrality is going out of style.

I fear we'll see a rash of ISPs that start controlling what kinds of traffic are allowed or blocked. P2P would be top of the list for them to block.

It's their own damn fault for expanding beyond their capacity, but of course, as always, it's the paying customer that will suffer for it. :nope:

Your going to lose alot more than bit torrent with net neutrality. ;)

Yea I know the supreme court said no but the supreme court is no obsticle to this administration there just going to make 'cable' a public utility and regulate it that way :haha:

Arclight
05-11-10, 12:37 PM
Ugh, don't remind me. Truly a sad day when the ISPs get free reign to determine what they can provide. Few years down the road, and the only newspage you can access for free is the one hosted by your ISP, have to pay for everything else. :nope:

Truth be known they are just trying to reduce the bandwidth, nothing to do with piracy or ethics!:yep:
Most of my torrent use is for legit downloads, they are good for those large files, can start and stop when ever it suits, and if my ISP drops out no problems just auto starts again!:up:
Throttling is really no better. Like I said, they are the ones that expanded beyond their capacity (and that's exactly what they did, every single ISP), now you're the one suffering for it.

I know it's fairly common practice, but that doesn't make it correct. :-?

SteamWake
05-11-10, 01:09 PM
In its efforts to impose crippling net neutrality regulations on the Internet-an idea with very little support from the American public or Congress-the Obama administration turned to the FCC to simply pretend Congress has given it authority to regulate. The DC Circuit Court of Appeals emphatically smacked down that attempt in Comcast v. FCC

http://www.capwiz.com/americansforprosperity/issues/alert/?alertid=15016336&type=CO

Reece
05-11-10, 07:52 PM
Ugh, don't remind me. Truly a sad day when the ISPs get free reign to determine what they can provide. Few years down the road, and the only newspage you can access for free is the one hosted by your ISP, have to pay for everything else. :nope:

Throttling is really no better. Like I said, they are the ones that expanded beyond their capacity (and that's exactly what they did, every single ISP), now you're the one suffering for it.

I know it's fairly common practice, but that doesn't make it correct. :-?Yes it sucks, try emailing your ISP and ask for the block to be removed, if they don't search for a new ISP, and ask them outright if they allow P2P connections,:hmmm: I was actually getting a good list of providers assuming they would deny my request when it came back on, was a relief!:yep: