PDA

View Full Version : Reduced air contacts mod?

The Mad Asshatter
05-08-10, 09:16 PM
I recently re-installed SH4 and got the latest version of TMO. My problem is that it's like I'm being followed by a Japanese airfield wherever I go. Every day I am forced to crash dive multiple times because of zeros flying directly overhead of me. This makes traveling by day a tedious task of diving, surfacing, diving surfacing, etc.

I thought TMO was supposed to reduce air contacts. Anyways, does anybody know of any TMO-compatible mods that will further reduce air contacts? I checked the mods forum and couldn't find anything.

fw66
05-08-10, 09:31 PM
I think the RSRD (there is a version compatible with TMO) campaign reduces aircraft encounters as does Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5 (not sure if that's compatible with TMO though)

Look for these in the downloads section.

Rockin Robbins
05-09-10, 02:31 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1379185&postcount=148

'nuff said!

fw66
05-09-10, 03:00 AM

'nuff said!

Fair enough!

I downloaded a reduced aircraft mod the other day out of frustration, but this gives me renewed confidence in playing an un-modded campaign.

Will give it a shot!

ReallyDedPoet
05-09-10, 06:53 AM

'nuff said!

Nice post :yep::up:

Frumpkis
05-09-10, 10:49 AM
Fair enough!

I downloaded a reduced aircraft mod the other day out of frustration, but this gives me renewed confidence in playing an un-modded campaign.

Will give it a shot!

I use that "ice cream cone" method too, it's very helpful in avoiding unecessary yo-yo'ing. However, you still might want to consider using the RSRD campaign overlay mod (in addition to TMO). I think it restricts aircraft closer to their bases. With RSRD the air activity is still there in "hot" zones near Japanese-occupied territory and bases, but its rare to nonexistent in more remote areas, which feels more realistic.

Rockin Robbins
05-09-10, 08:31 PM
I just hate to hit a man when he's down. This game can be darned frustrating and us experienced players can forget that so easily. Then we develop our method of dealing with the problem but it's all seat of the pants, with no real instructions to pass on to the new guys.

Well that's even worse! You get to say nyah, nyah, nyah nyah in their face. I'm better than you are and you're hopeless! Well THAT will keep someone playing the game all right.:-?

No, it's much easier to solve the problem than it is to explain the solution clearly and simply so that any new person can understand and carry out the strategy. Then you have to find a way to do the instruction with respect for the fact that the new player is just as likely to end up a better player than yourself as not!

Then the solution has to be so simple that people will actually use it! We have lots of manual targeting solutions with external calculators, multiple tables of target speed, relative course and lead angles, but my theory has always been that if a player can do the deed with nothing other than the game itself the strategy will be used by many and almost all will be successful at it. All truly great ideas are simple and easy to understand. And all truly great ideas are delivered with respect.

To take an example, if it is such a great idea to go to Joe Bob's Ford and buy a car from them, why does their piece of junk mail have to masquerade as an IRS refund check?:har:

Admiral8Q
05-09-10, 10:44 PM
I wish I knew how to program a mod. I'd spend time looking at the aircraft settings and try to find a more realistic way to make it run. On a fair note I'd like to modify the way a sub detects a plane. For radar I'd like a "Aircraft detected range 12nm, moving away!" type thing. Not be able to see them on the map until they were in visual range.

Rockin Robbins
05-11-10, 09:02 AM
The problem is that all that is hard wired and if it could have been done it would have been done a couple of years ago. Then we'd be chasing something else just as irritating now.

No simulation will ever be perfect. They are produced by computer programmers, not submarine experts. It would be MUCH easier to train a submarine expert to be a good computer programmer than to teach a computer wonk all about submarines. When you are programming computers, your central mindset is how things SHOULD work. When you are writing a simulation, what matters is how things DID work. I'm afraid much of the unconscious thinking when producing the Silent Hunter series was unconsciously directed to how a submarine should work and much too little time was spent on how they did work.