PDA

View Full Version : AMD or Intel?

krashkart
05-08-10, 07:50 AM
Which brand of processor gives better gaming performance, AMD or Intel?

I loved my old Athlon XP and would certainly go with what I trust, but maybe it would be best to ask here for advice while I plan my next computer. :yep:

*I added the 'Other' option to the poll in case there is a brand I hadn't heard of.

JSLTIGER
05-08-10, 09:04 AM
It kind of depends what you're looking for. If you are talking about all out gaming performance regardless of cost, Intel's Core i7s can't be beat. AMD's fastest offerings can be competitive, and tend to be cheaper, but they cannot outclass Intel's higher end offerings even though they offer a better bang for the $. As a result, I voted for Intel despite the fact that either company's CPUs are perfectly fine to be gaming with. More important to a system these days for gaming is the graphics card. If you want a good gaming experience, you should go for either ATi's 5800 series or nVidia's 470/480 cards in order to make your system last for a while.

Feuer Frei!
05-08-10, 09:33 AM
Here's a nice link:

AMD vs Intel benchmarks, as of today (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html)

you will see that the Intel chips far outweigh the AMD's, in fact AMD is no 12 on that list.

next link is tomshardware:
check the table of contents in that article:

the best web site for all things computer (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/future-3d-graphics,2560.html)

The Core i7 processor, launched around this time last year is an all new architecture that followed the highly successful Core 2 Quad lineup. Major changes included the integration of a memory controller onboard the processor and as a consequence, the death of the (arguably) limitation inducing "Front Side Bus" link. In addition, support for Triple Channel Memory was incorporated and the Intel Core 2's huge pool of Level 2 cache has been replaced by small dedicated sets of 256kB per core and a shared bank of 8mb Level 3 cache. Last but not least, the Core i7 saw the return of Hyperthreading Technology, which by specification is meant to aid the processing of multithreaded computations, by treating a given core as two.
Upon face value, AMD's Phenom II architecture doesn't appear all too different. The "Deneb" core, used in the entireity of the Phenom II lineup sports 512kB of Level 2 cache per core and a shared pool of 6MB Level 3 cache. AMD does not have a Hyperthreading equivalent and while it has an integrated memory controller and a fast data link, memory will only function in Dual Channel mode and thus reducing the maximum achievable memory bandwith on the Socket AM3 platform.

So in general, the advantage that Intel claims in general processor speed looks real, although it manifests itself mostly in the kind of applications few people do often. Similarly, AMD's claims that its superior graphics help it compete on performance ring true for graphics and video encoding applications, though in general, the two are fairly equal.
Me? I coose Intel...always :up:

Arclight
05-08-10, 09:42 AM
For raw performance it's Intel, but if you're only interested in gaming I'd go with AMD regardless. Intel isn't just strong on gaming, but many other tasks as well. As a result, they are a lot more expensive, and that quickly becomes the biggest drawback of an Intel based system.

(exactly same situation in Nvidia vs ATI btw)

CaptainHaplo
05-08-10, 09:43 AM
There isn't a good answer here.....

Depends on if you have an unlimited budget or not.

As noted - Intel has the best performance - when thats ALL that is considered. AMD has the best performance per dollar.....

This made me choose other - as the answer will depend on the dynamics of the intent of the question.

krashkart
05-11-10, 11:17 PM
Okay, cool. I appreciate everybody's input. Results so far show a tie between AMD and Intel, so it looks like I'd be safe side either way. Thanks to Feuer Frie! for the links. :DL

I just wish Socket A was still supported because I'm sure my old Athlon still has a heartbeat. Anyone happen to know right offhand where I could buy a Socket A motherboard? MTIA :ping:

nikimcbee
05-11-10, 11:22 PM
Both are good, but amd designs use older technology.

PhantomLord
05-21-10, 10:46 AM
Okay, cool. I appreciate everybody's input. Results so far show a tie between AMD and Intel, so it looks like I'd be safe side either way. Thanks to Feuer Frie! for the links. :DL

I just wish Socket A was still supported because I'm sure my old Athlon still has a heartbeat. Anyone happen to know right offhand where I could buy a Socket A motherboard? MTIA :ping:

I had my last socket A from ebay. Saw it sometimes at amazon.

It was a ASRock K7VT4A pro (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7VT4A%20PRO)

krashkart
05-21-10, 11:03 AM
I had my last socket A from ebay. Saw it sometimes at amazon.

It was a ASRock K7VT4A pro (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K7VT4A%20PRO)

Thank you so much for that reply. I have the same model of motherboard in the burned-out machine - made by Soyo, tho. Anyway, hoping to breathe a spark of life back into the old 'pooter and use it as a holdover until my budget allows for a full rebuild. Thanks again bud, I'll have a look around. :up:

[edit]

You know what gets me is that there is absolutely no place in this whole town that sells essential computer parts -- beyond the usual suspects like video/sound cards and such. :damn:

FIREWALL
05-21-10, 11:27 AM
While I use Intel eclusively and have never had a problem.

One who price is a big consideration, has to take into account warrenty and support and add that to the purchase decision.

Amd is excellent in that department.

I will post an interesting recent contact with AMD if anyone is interested.

krashkart
05-21-10, 11:33 AM
I will post an interesting recent contact with AMD if anyone is interested.

Post away, FIREWALL. :up:

FIREWALL
05-21-10, 11:51 AM
Thx Krashkart. :DL

A week ago a friend of mine thought he had a problem with his AMD Athlon x2 Black Edition 7750 duo core.

Without another to test the rest of rig I helped him thru the RMA process.

Amd quickly after a few questions sent a email with RMA# and a Fedex prepaid shipping order.

Sent it out Saturday and received it back following Friday.

AND.... They upgraded it to a 7850.

NOW THATS SUPPORT AND SERVICE. IMHO.

And as I said I'm an INTEL user

btw it was the mobo and, thats a story from HELL.:eek:

krashkart
05-21-10, 11:58 AM
Wow, that is good customer service. :up: What was the deal with the motherboard, then? :o

FIREWALL
05-21-10, 12:15 PM
ECS Elightgroup GF8200A. Great features at a cheap closeout Newegg price.

Or so my friend thought. He should have read Newegg reviews as well as on the internet.

Their support tech people ran him around in circles.

He asked me for help. We started at 8:30am useing my laptop and cell phone and at 3:00pm we finally got an RMA#.

3mo old mobo and HE had to pay shipping.

Final advice to all members here...

DON'T BUY AN ECS Elitegroup mobo !!!

Or any other of their products.

krashkart
05-21-10, 04:31 PM
Interesting. I came across that brand when I ran a search for motherboards, not long after reading your post. Will follow your advice, for sure. Was firing blind when I built the old rig and had the good fortune of hitting all the right places. But costly mistakes are mistakes I'd rather avoid. Posting here and reading other people's advice is helping greatly with this repair/overhaul project. :)

JSLTIGER
05-21-10, 04:51 PM
AMD has great RMA service. I've only had a problem once, it was with the same chip I'm using now where one of the cores was in the process of dying. AMD said that they were looking into the problem (it was apparently a sporadic, random issue) and that it would be no problem at all to get the chip swapped out for a new one. Not only did they send me a new chip, but an entirely new retail box! I've not had any problems since. It was fantastic, and things like that are the reason that I stay loyal to certain companies.

FIREWALL
05-21-10, 05:31 PM
Interesting. I came across that brand when I ran a search for motherboards, not long after reading your post. Will follow your advice, for sure. Was firing blind when I built the old rig and had the good fortune of hitting all the right places. But costly mistakes are mistakes I'd rather avoid. Posting here and reading other people's advice is helping greatly with this repair/overhaul project. :)

Research x3 is the key to a long life happy purchase. :DL

AMD has great RMA service. I've only had a problem once, it was with the same chip I'm using now where one of the cores was in the process of dying. AMD said that they were looking into the problem (it was apparently a sporadic, random issue) and that it would be no problem at all to get the chip swapped out for a new one. Not only did they send me a new chip, but an entirely new retail box! I've not had any problems since. It was fantastic, and things like that are the reason that I stay loyal to certain companies.

I'm with you on product loyality. I have always had good luck with Gigabyte mobo's. Asus would be my next choice. ASRock is I think a company people are going to say GOOD things about in the future.

Heck. They already are. If you read the reviews. :yep: