PDA

View Full Version : What is this thingy device?

Admiral8Q
05-06-10, 02:03 PM
What would this be used for?:06:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3742/thingydevice.png

G2B
05-06-10, 02:07 PM
Well the picture in the background is what your fighting for :D

ETR3(SS)
05-06-10, 03:14 PM
That's the radio. The different colored bands on it are different frequency bands.

Armistead
05-06-10, 03:47 PM
I'm glad I kept my mouth shut on my guess...better to keep silent and let people think you're stupid than to.....:D

Is that a U-boat..?

ETR3(SS)
05-06-10, 03:50 PM
Yes it is.

G2B
05-06-10, 03:59 PM
Sorry :oops: the Radio was the second thing I saw.

ETR3(SS)
05-06-10, 04:06 PM
Well I guess we can tell him what the "other" thing there is for, maybe even teach him how to use it. :haha:

Armistead
05-06-10, 04:10 PM
Oh, back when women had big hips and small waist......mmmmmmm

conus00
05-06-10, 04:17 PM
Oh, back when women had big hips and small waist......mmmmmmm
As opposed to big hips and big waists nowadays??? :haha:

Reinhard Dietz
05-06-10, 05:18 PM
Well the picture in the background is what your fighting for :D
Hey, my IXD/2 doesn't have that in its radio room; Q's holding out on us!

Admiral8Q
05-06-10, 05:52 PM
That's the radio. The different colored bands on it are different frequency bands.
I probably could have figured that out if it wasn't so blurry. Thanks:)

Sorry :oops: the Radio was the second thing I saw.
Heh heh!!! Of course!:haha:

Hey, my IXD/2 doesn't have that in its radio room; Q's holding out on us!
It's in the American subs, that's why. ;)

Jan Kyster
05-10-10, 03:30 PM
What would this be used for?Was looking through some papers, came across this picture and remembered your thread... here's the German side... :D

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z15/subject_rod/Interceptor.jpg

Correct name is Funkhorchempfänger c (Fu.HE.c) i.e. Interception receiver

Quote from paper:

After the war in 1947, Mr Farrar published an interesting article in which he explained very intriguing design details, of which I must admit, one never had come up in my mind before.
[pp.63-66]

The outstanding feature of German army wireless sets was the almost universal use of lightweight alloy of their construction. … Instead of using a single chassis with components mounted above and below, the Germans mainly used a system of unit construction. The various stages or sections of an equipment were assembled separately and these sub-units bolted on to the main cast framework. Final inter-unit wiring connections were made by solder tags, lugs and screws, or plugs and sockets. Thus in the case of serious electrical or mechanical defects arising, a whole unit could be replaced and the equipment put back into service with a minimum of delay. While this method of construction simplified maintenance and gave additional mechanical rigidity. The 10-watt tank transmitter (10 WSc, AOB) was for all practical purposes the same in 1945 as in 1937. Ceramics were used extensively in various ways: moulded plates for mounting components, tubes, as coil formers and rods as control spindles, particularly for variable tuning condensers …Components were all of good quality…The following was new to me, AOB .. Another form of simplification was found in the range of intercept receivers. Here the tuning control (coaxial fast and slow-motion) was positioned to the left of the centre-line of the (front of photo 3, AOB) panel; near the bottom, and adjacent to it on the centre-line were edgewise controls for bandwidth and volume, and an A.F. tone filter switch. The operator, using his left hand could, while listening to a signal, vary the tuning with his fingers, and the bandwidth, volume and tone-filter with his thumb, thus leaving his right hand free to take the signal on paper. …(next was already known, AOB) Sensitivity of all superhet receivers, even those dating from 1936, was good … and compared well with similar British equipments …A 1945 model of the receiver for tanks (UKWEe, AOB)(the design dating back to 1937) had so little background noise that, when it was switched on during tests, it was thought to be out of order. Selectivity was adequate, and in case of most low and medium frequency superhets and in all intercept receivers, bandwidth was adjustable either continuously or, in some steps; a crystal filter was fitted in some instances. …The stability of sender and receiver oscillators, combined with crystal calibration and the large-sized scales, made netting procedure very simple. His finally conclusion: The points of German army wireless equipment can be briefly summarised as follows. From the mechanical viewpoint, German equipment was very well built, due to rigid light-alloys castings, anti-backlash gearing and accurate construction methods; Electrically, the equipment was good and efficient, but not modern when judged by British war-time standards, although, it was in some cases quite ingenious.

Source: http://www.cdvandt.org/DEHS2008-def.pdf

More German Technology stuff.... www.cdvandt.org (http://www.cdvandt.org)