PDA

View Full Version : Why did I bother....

Chubster
05-03-10, 09:07 PM
Spent hours tonight sneaking into Saigon harbour, waiting for dark and getting into position.

There were 6 merchants all moored up.....easy pessy. Yeah right. 14 torpedoes fired 2 hit, all the rest duds or exploded on the way.

The one ship I did hit is just sitting on the bottom unable to "sink"

So am I correct in saying there is no point in attacking harbours....if the bloomin think cant actually sink then your not going to get the credit ?

ETR3(SS)
05-03-10, 09:56 PM
I've pulled off a few harbor runs in my time but they are almost more hassle than they're worth. The shallowness of the harbor is one of the major reasons. Hard to sneak in and hard to get credit for your kills.

G2B
05-03-10, 09:58 PM
Usually if you get enough holes in them or if they break in half you get credit like normal, if not they may just settle a bit in the mud and smirk at ya :nope:

Admiral8Q
05-04-10, 10:53 AM
My advice is the take Mark 10 torpedoes. Set them really shallow. That's about all you need if you like harbour runs. Maneuver around the search patters of any dd's, but be reader to try and kill them if they spot you. Saving or reloading a few torpedoes before heading back out to sea will help in case of dd's.

Those Mark 14's are a 'pita'. They run too deep, explode prematurely... or not at all.

Chubster
05-04-10, 11:39 AM
Thanks Admiral i will give that a go....cant say I am a particular harbour lurker but I was passing so thought id pop in and say hi. :DL

Armistead
05-04-10, 11:47 AM
The problem with them not sinking is they hit bottom before the deck goes under, thus lack of flooding. You have to sink them by damage points, so more torps or use of deckgun. Spread the damage out.

I've had carriers like that and out of everything and rammed them with my sub, pushed them into deeper water...lol..and sometimes got em to sink.

As stated if duds drive you nuts, carry some M10's..not as powerful or fast, but they work.

If you set M14's to influence you'll have more prematures, set them to contact more duds. The game does follow history, so if you shoot M14's at some angle on slow speeds using contact you should get less duds. Beside that it really doesn't matter cause you'll get duds or prematures about 50% of the time.