PDA

View Full Version : Im probably going to upgrade my Graphics card upgrade, so whats out there now?

Task Force
04-26-10, 07:40 PM
Yep, Its that time of year again, Upgrade time. My 8800 has served me well (got it when they were still new) but I am thinking of replaceing it.

So what can y'all surgest? Myself I perfer Nvidia. Oah my budget is around 400 dollars.

CaptainHaplo
04-26-10, 08:02 PM
Well with that price tag your looking at either a ATI 5870 or a Nvidia 470. The 470 is faster than the 5870, and the 400 series is the first fully DX11 board from Nvidia.

The 480 is the fastest card out there right now (unless you go dual 5870's in a single board) - but its about $100 bucks more than you want to spend.

I'd have to recommend the 470 if you want to stay Nvidia. Everything about it screams.

Task Force
04-26-10, 08:04 PM
Thats what Im looking into. Anyone have any experience with EVGA?

(hmm, wounder if I can squease anougther 100 bucks out.:hmmm:)

CaptainHaplo
04-26-10, 08:06 PM
I hear they make decent boards - but never used one. Look at the warranty. Some companies (like BFG) offer a lifetime warranty - and stick to it. Go with that - and you know you have a future just in case.

Task Force
04-26-10, 08:13 PM
Yea, Thats what I have now (BFG) Ive read good reviews off newegg about the card/EVGA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130550&cm_re=nvidia_470-_-14-130-550-_-Product

I was really supprised to find its only around 9 inches long. was supprised

Arclight
04-27-10, 12:07 AM
Ehr, I'd give the 470 and 480 a pass, to be honest... well, at least the 480. High power consumption, high heat (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19), not exactly value for money (but that's business as usual with Nvidia). A 480 can suck up more Watts than a dual-gpu HD5970 (or GTX295), while being outperformed (by the Radeon). :doh:

Imho; not worth it at the moment. For Nvidia GTX295 remains the upper limit, or go with ATI.

Meanwhile let’s talk about the other factors: price, power, and noise. At $500 the GTX 480 is the world’s fastest single-GPU card, but it’s not a value proposition. The price gap between it and the Radeon 5870 is well above the current performance gap, but this has always been true about the high-end. Bigger than price though is the tradeoff for going with the GTX 480 and its much bigger GPU – it’s hotter, it’s noisier, and it’s more power hungry, all for 10-15% more performance. If you need the fastest thing you can get then the choice is clear, otherwise you’ll have some thinking to decide what you want and what you’re willing to live with in return.

Moving on, we have the GTX 470 to discuss. It’s not NVIDIA’s headliner so it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. With a price right between the 5850 and 5870, it delivers performance right where you’d expect it to be. At 5-10% slower than the 5870 on average, it’s actually a straightforward value proposition: you get 90-95% of the performance for around 87% of the price. It’s not a huge bargain, but it’s competitively priced against the 5870. Against the 5850 this is less true where it’s a mere 2-8% faster, but this isn’t unusual for cards above $300 – the best values are rarely found there. The 5850 is the bargain hunter’s card, otherwise if you can spend more pick a price and you’ll find your card. Just keep in mind that the GTX 470 is still going to be louder/hotter than any 5800 series card, so there are tradeoffs to make, and we imagine most people would err towards the side of the cooler Radeon cards.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/20

Wolfehunter
04-27-10, 12:54 AM
Ehr, I'd give the 470 and 480 a pass, to be honest... well, at least the 480. High power consumption, high heat (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19), not exactly value for money (but that's business as usual with Nvidia). A 480 can suck up more Watts than a dual-gpu HD5970 (or GTX295), while being outperformed (by the Radeon). :doh:

Imho; not worth it at the moment. For Nvidia GTX295 remains the upper limit, or go with ATI.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/20
Nvidia's last few drivers version are also bad. A lot of complaints on there forums and customer service. I would stick with ATI.. I'm a fan of nvidia don't get me wrong but lately last few months there stuff has failed badly.

I'm still waiting for my compensation on my burnt GTX280... But at least there working with DELL to send me a replacement... I just don't know what yet. :hmmm:

I'm using a ATI 5870 and it works great. some games it out preforms to GTX480's...

My ATI 5870 average idle heat is 38c and gaming is 56c..

My GTX280 was much higher. 47idling and 75c gaming..

Anyhow something to consider... :salute:

AVGWarhawk
04-27-10, 10:27 AM
Thats what Im looking into. Anyone have any experience with EVGA?

(hmm, wounder if I can squease anougther 100 bucks out.:hmmm:)

EVGA is all I ever purchase. :up: I have had no issues with their cards. They have a great website and forum.

Task Force
04-27-10, 01:46 PM
Ya know im getting mixed reviews about the 470/80, some people are saying its great, and runs good, but takes alot of power. some say its a hunk of crap.

I wounder if there testing release cards, or pre release?

I myself havent had the greatest experience with ATI, last time I had one the fan died. and I had constant driver issues.

AVGWarhawk
04-27-10, 01:56 PM
I myself havent had the greatest experience with ATI, last time I had one the fan died. and I had constant driver issues.

This is why I steer clear of the ATI cards. The CCC was awful.

CaptainHaplo
04-27-10, 04:39 PM
I was initially a Nvidia guy (from the dinosaur S3d chips - hated voodoo's) with my first TNT board. Stuck with em for a while, then swapped to ATI for a while. Every single ATI board I have EVER had however, has had fan issues.

I swapped from by old 1650 pro to a GTX 260 and am very pleased.

The key for you is price vs performance vs comfort level.

If your ok with ATI - then your likely going to be better off going 5780 (though I though the 470's outperformed it - guess I was wrong). Otherwise - its the 460/480 ot a 295.

Last edition of toms had nothing but the ATI's in your price range....

Task Force
04-27-10, 04:42 PM
Yea, but I still am going for the 470/80, The one on newegg is about the same price my 8800 was when I got it.:)

Arclight
04-27-10, 07:27 PM
At least you won't need heating anymore. :O:

Just to make sure; what PSU is in yer case? :06:

Task Force
04-27-10, 08:01 PM
650 watt BFG, been needing to replace it, dont think it should make a clicking noise ocationaly anyway. lol

And ya know, Im really gonna look foward to this anyway, my 8800 overclocked can reach 70 C, so I guess 80 to 90 wont kill me. and like ya said, during the winter when the heater isnt working, I will be nice and toasty.:DL not freezing my fingers off.

Too bad I cant cook eggs on it tho... some guy on youtube already tryed it, couldnt even get it to turn white...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASu3Xw6JM1w

Arclight
04-27-10, 08:16 PM
Well like stated, 480 draws more power than any dual-gpu card and even some dual-card setups. Imho that PSU is just enough... never thought I'd say it, but I'd recommend at least 650-700W to run that single, single-gpu card. :o

Seriously, imho, that thing is ridiculous. :-?

Task Force
04-27-10, 08:25 PM
hmm, Im american, I like ridiculous things.:rotfl2:

seems to do nice in "overused game for testing" crysis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eX1VKwZy84

Wolfehunter
04-27-10, 09:42 PM
Yea, but I still am going for the 470/80, The one on newegg is about the same price my 8800 was when I got it.:)I would still wait.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100414PD217.html

They still having problems with there current versions. I'm going to wait till there third gen version are released...:hmmm:

Here is some power tests against the top cards.

http://www.golem.de/1003/74109-11.html

Task Force
04-28-10, 01:59 PM
Hmm, I dont know, I dont know when the next time ill have the money to spend on something like this.:hmmm:

Task Force
04-30-10, 12:56 PM
GOD DA*NIT!!! I went to go buy the card off Newegg and EVGA is out of stock.:damn:

Wounder if they will have new ones soon.:hmmm:

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr650wpsu.aspx
new question. my only concern is the pin connectors...

stabiz
04-30-10, 02:08 PM
Nah, go ATI. My last nVidia was the 8800GT, and since then its been all ATI for me. I was sick of crashes, not being able to use dx9(!) in rFactor and the damned control panel not remembering override settings. With ATI I have had no issues that I can think of. I now have a 5870 and its a really great gpu.

The only thing I miss is nVidias dual monitor setup thingy.

Task Force
04-30-10, 02:11 PM
Strange, I barley get a crash with my 8800gts, only when I overclock the card too much.

I wounder, how long till EVGA should get more in stock.... any guesses.:hmmm:

Task Force
04-30-10, 04:51 PM
JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA!!! They just got some more in stock at newegg, should be here tomorrow.:rock:

Arclight
05-01-10, 02:39 AM
A 480 then? You have my sympathy. :O:

Task Force
05-02-10, 05:08 PM
Would the mail get the damn thing here already.:shifty:

Arclight
05-05-10, 01:07 PM
So is it there yet? Any impressions, maybe some benchmarks if you have the time? :06:

Task Force
05-05-10, 08:43 PM
I LOVE IT!!! Its just a awsome card, just got back from best buy! played with it abit...

Oah and those heat issues... Idle 36C... 10 degrees cooler than mt 8800...

It fits quite snug tho. and its fan at 100% sounds like a jet takeing off when you sit next to it. (but I have noise canceling headphones)

I am so glad I went Nvidia so far. (need to update drivers tho)

:D

Im going to benchmark it, need a program tho, any surgestions!

Arclight
05-06-10, 08:57 AM
I'd be happy with some temps while playing, with the fan at a comfortable level. Mine sounds terrible at full speed too, but it never needs to run at more than 65-70%.

Keep us up to date on your experiences, would be appreciated. :yep:

Task Force
05-06-10, 01:20 PM
Rgr, will do. It will get its first major playing tonight at the lolwaffles.

the fan above 90 percent sounds like a jet engine... btw. ill tell ya more on TS later.

Task Force
05-06-10, 01:45 PM
I found this... intresting...

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1717/wtfura.jpg

CaptainHaplo
05-06-10, 05:54 PM
Good realistic benchmarks are stuff like World in Conflict demo test - gives you a in game look at frame rates and such.

Arclight
05-06-10, 07:25 PM
1 of those 90 icons on your desktop just has to be WiC. :hmm2:

CaptainHaplo
05-06-10, 07:54 PM
Ha! I didn't even look to see if he has it - just threw that out as an example.

Arclight
05-06-10, 08:18 PM
Very good example at that, really like that build in benchmark. :yep:

And apart from that it's a pretty good game imho, still hoping for some kind of sequel. :hmmm:

Task Force
05-06-10, 09:07 PM
I actualy am planning on getting World in conflict. I love those type of games, but money for the past fiew months has been tight. Ive been saveing up for a gpu, and the HD/W7 I got awhile back, but I will soon get it!

*edit, So what do you thing of the steam version, Ive been looking into this game for a while, it looks Awsome! Its what Ive been looking for for a while.

I guess, ill use crysis. Hmm...

CaptainHaplo
05-06-10, 10:13 PM
Don't have the steam version - but the game is good. Great graphix, a nice variation on gameplay. Only gripe I had was it was a real bugger initially to get the speed where I like it. Ya have to use a console command for that - too many RTS style games out today are lacking the old game speed adjustment - which is a damn shame. The storyline is actually rather compelling - which was a nice change. Definitely pick up the SA expansion as a bundle if you can - the "both sides" battles gives a good flavor on the human side of the war...

Task Force
05-07-10, 07:27 PM
First off, WiC is a AWSOME GAME, just poured 5 hours into it, and am only on mission 4!

My FPS never dropped I had No lag at all, even with tons of explosions, and units.(well, except when my anti-virus updated but still)

The hightest temperature for my card was 80C

Edit, just played the game for a Hour and a half, heat stayed at 60C... hmmm....

I have highest resolution, and Very high vedio settings.

I thought I would get lag when I started the Berlin mission as russia, but no lag, none.

In Seattle, no lag ither.

Im currently on the Harvest mission... The americans have a river crossing I need to move accrost. I keep sending waves, and waves of light tanks just to have them shot up.

After being used for 6 hours and 9 mins it is at 40C at idle (note, Its been beeing used on high load most of the time.

In a little while, after I restart it, so I have all my stuff fresh, I guess Ill benchmark Crysis/warhead, but in the meantime, I probably should do a WiC benchmark.

EDIT*
Highest was 95, lowest was 16 average 34.

Task Force
05-07-10, 08:11 PM
So, after thinking about it abit, can anyone tell me of a good program I could use to overclock, that wont tell me my core clock is at 2000.:rotfl2:

Arclight
05-08-10, 08:54 AM
Could try Rivatuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner), though I don't know if it supports the 400s yet.

Temps are acceptable, mine peaks at 80 too, but what about the noise? :hmmm:

CaptainHaplo
05-08-10, 09:40 AM
Odd numbers there - I am running the 260 (OC'd out of the box), and my numbers came out at:

Max:115
Avg:35
Min:9

This is at 1920x1080 and "very high" detail. Are you running dual monitors? I would have expected better numbers from that card - but then again - what are the rest of the specs on the machine?

I am running a 955 on this machine, with only 2 gigs of memory under Win7. The machine is tweaked since its my game box though, that helps.

Task Force
05-08-10, 10:19 AM
Yea... its a E 8400, processor, 4GB or ram, and Windows 7 64 bit.

Im sure theres a bottleneck...

hmm, could it be my monitor, 29 inch on 19xx12xx

It also might be its current drivers, I think nvidia will tune them to be better.

Could also be the fact I have 8x AA, and 2x supersample, and texture filtering high in the Nvidia control panel.

there could be numerous reasons why It didnt run up to spec.

-----------------------------------

I find this card kind of wishie washie (It dosent stay the same) in terms of performance, and heat.

Like I said, yesterday first run through it got to 80C, later it got to 60C... Also different times the performance is different.

Task Force
05-08-10, 10:21 AM
Could try Rivatuner (http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner), though I don't know if it supports the 400s yet.

Temps are acceptable, mine peaks at 80 too, but what about the noise? :hmmm:

Hmm... Il play it over TS when we meet next.:up:

OAh, about the overclocking, I believe I have a outdated version of the EVGA tool, I probably should use the one on the cd. lol

Arclight
05-08-10, 10:53 AM
Yea... its a E 8400, processor, 4GB or ram, and Windows 7 64 bit.

Im sure theres a bottleneck...

hmm, could it be my monitor, 29 inch on 19xx12xx

It also might be its current drivers, I think nvidia will tune them to be better.

Could also be the fact I have 8x AA, and 2x supersample, and texture filtering high in the Nvidia control panel.

there could be numerous reasons why It didnt run up to spec.
Possible the CPU can't keep, drivers definetly need improvement, can pretty much say that for certain since it's such a new card (and design, quite a departure from the previous architecture).

The high resolution in combination with AA might be a bit heavy on the memory bandwith, but it should be able to handle it. :hmmm:

Task Force
05-08-10, 11:10 AM
Hmm, I also think the mixture of system run time, and all these other things played a part.

At the time (I didnt realise it was late.) My system was useing 1.25 Gigs of ram to run idle.

and internet explorer was running.

CaptainHaplo
05-08-10, 01:45 PM
Processor is probably the biggest bottleneck for you (mine is likely the 260 card) - and the stuff in the background is likely a big contributor. Update the drivers to the most recent, clean boot and kill all the extra stuff. Should see some improvement then.

*Edit - then again - the game plays fine at an avg of 30+ - and given the game - you don't have nukes going off every minute - so your game framerate is avg much higher. Sometimes you have to consider the wisdom of "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

Task Force
05-08-10, 06:08 PM
Just ran Crysis Warhead, Runs great, like WiC almost no lag, with max settings & Resolution, AA was at 4 with V sync on.

Task Force
05-18-10, 05:17 PM
So, after haveing the card for around 3 weeks now. I am glad I got it.

I dont see these heat problems the reviewers were talking about. runs at around the same temps as my 8800 did, and performs great.

I would say nvidia needs to work on makeing there fans abit more quiet at higer RPMs, but to be honest with ya, I dont really care.

These cards are IMO a good step ahead for nvidia, and I look foward to what they will come out with next.

Arclight
05-19-10, 05:22 AM
So a bit noisy? :06:

A way around it's problems is just slap on a custom cooler, but it seems all vendors are coming up with their own solutions anyway.