PDA

View Full Version : 6 Days And Counting ..

walsh2509
04-26-10, 11:29 AM
I unistalled SH5 on the night of the 19th awaiting the 2nd patch on the 20th, I did this because I had installed mods over the original files.

And to tell the truth I have not missed it, I hope they take away this target of tonnage or ships inside a marked area to move the the next level.

I do not like this , you have to sink x amount in said area to progress.

kylania
04-26-10, 11:35 AM
Patch isn't coming out till Mid May.

Also, you don't have to sink all the tonnage they ask you do. You don't have to do those missions at all. Play the game how you want.

Also, uninstalling for a patch seems... odd?

rededge
04-26-10, 12:50 PM

Really? I was kinda hoping it would appear sooner. Where did you glean this info m8? :06:

kylania
04-26-10, 12:57 PM
Really? I was kinda hoping it would appear sooner. Where did you glean this info m8? :06:

Well, I'd predicted it a week ago (sadly as a joke that became true), but it was confirmed today on the German forums:

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431013487/m/7811038658

Zedi
04-26-10, 01:19 PM
Well, I'd predicted it a week ago (sadly as a joke that became true), but it was confirmed today on the German forums:

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3431013487/m/7811038658

You know.. I'm really mad. I mean.. WTF?! The only announcement about the patch delay is made again on the german forum only?! Are these guys completely insane? :x

Sorry, but I can't hold it.. Feur Frei and all those who defend the devs and Ubi, are you still think that we should be quiet and patient? For how long?

The General
04-26-10, 01:34 PM
Here is a translation:

Hello people,

We have spoken with the SH5 developers and asked for clear information about the release of new Silent Hunter 5 patch.

Their reply:

"Unfortunately, we can say not say for sure at this point as most of the development team are on holiday. We can give you no specific idea but it's set-up for a release in the second week of May."

Yes, we are also not pleased and hoped earlier availability. Unfortunately we can not change it. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

We'll keep you informed.

Regards,
Marc (Ubisoft Forum Moderator)

rededge
04-26-10, 01:37 PM

Hey! What u playin' at? Its in German...:rotfl2:

Oh, well. Good things come to those that wait.

And wait.

TBH, what with all the mods that I'm snowballing into JSGME again, even though I said I wasn't going to go over the top with mods, but I can't seem to help myself, I really like the game now.

A lot, not everything I know, of things have been vastly improved now.

kylania
04-26-10, 01:40 PM
Sorry, but I can't hold it.. Feur Frei and all those who defend the devs and Ubi, are you still think that we should be quiet and patient? For how long?

It's not the game devs, it's this guy (http://twitter.com/UbiGkane): http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/482734912/avatarenes_bigger.jpg

That's "GKane", Adrian A. from the Ubisoft Romania office. He's not listed in the credits for Silent Hunter 5, so I'm assuming he's just some marketing dweeb from Ubisoft corporate.

He's the one that had been posting about Silent Hunter 5 to the official forums, he's the one running the community twitter feed and facebook for Silent Hunter 5 and he's the one that's posted a total of 4 times (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1121062387/m/8261009648?r=8171020558#8171020558) on the official forums since the game came out.

If he was doing his job, we'd get more information I'm sure. :hmmm:

John Channing
04-26-10, 01:49 PM
You know.. I'm really mad. I mean.. WTF?! The only announcement about the patch delay is made again on the german forum only?! Are these guys completely insane? :x

What choice do you have but to be patient?

Ranting and raving isn't going to get it out any sooner. Nor is it going to change Ubisofts communication priorities.

Endlless posts about the game's percieved shortcomings are mostly ignored.

Spewing venom around is only going to get you booted off of Subsim sooner or later.

And if you patience runs out what are your options?

JCC

IanC
04-26-10, 01:51 PM
"Unfortunately, we can not say for sure at this point as most of the development team are on holiday."

Yikes... all this time I've been posting "Let them take as long as they need, just means they're hard at work fixing the bugs..."
See, this is what I get for trying to defend SH5 for once! :lol:

Commie
04-26-10, 01:55 PM
Here is a translation:

Hello people,

We have spoken with the SH5 developers and asked for clear information about the release of new Silent Hunter 5 patch.

Their reply:

"Unfortunately, we can say not say for sure at this point as most of the development team are on holiday. We can give you no specific idea but it's set-up for a release in the second week of May."

Yes, we are also not pleased and hoped earlier availability. Unfortunately we can not change it. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

We'll keep you informed.

Regards,

Wow, they release half a game, collect the cash then go on holiday! Yet people feel sorry for the 'poor' developers?

Sonarman
04-26-10, 01:55 PM
It looks like the Russian's are beta testing the patch for us which is fine by me. The less bugs and more added features in the forthcoming patch the better. In the meantime there are plenty of fantastic SH5 mods with more being added and improved upon each & every day.

Dan may be on holiday, but if you check the members present list you will see he has been here almost every day.

BigBANGtheory
04-26-10, 02:01 PM
:timeout: Holiday! You got to be sh*tting me, I'd be sacked from my employer if I left in the middle of a mess like this. That can't be right, someone is having a laugh right?

If its going through beta testing I can accept there being a pause in development, that is understandable.

SteamWake
04-26-10, 02:19 PM
I unistalled SH5 on the night of the 19th awaiting the 2nd patch on the 20th,

You sir are quite the optimist.

kylania
04-26-10, 02:29 PM
:timeout: Holiday! You got to be sh*tting me, I'd be sacked from my employer if I left in the middle of a mess like this. That can't be right, someone is having a laugh right?

If its going through beta testing I can accept there being a pause in development, that is understandable.

This is quite common in the game industry, the whole team going on vacation after a product release, and I'd assumed it had already happened. One of the reasons given in mid-March for no patch announcement till the end of March was that most of the devs were on holiday...

theluckyone17
04-26-10, 02:42 PM
One of two things is likely to occur:

1. In three years, we'll all be talking about the awesome work the modder's have done on the latest supermod for SH5.

2. In three years, we'll all be talking about some other submarine simulation that filled SH5's place, since it flopped badly.

Either way, I doubt the majority of us will remember, much less care about, the several weeks we had to wait for the patch.

ERPP8
04-26-10, 02:52 PM

Also, you don't have to sink all the tonnage they ask you do. You don't have to do those missions at all. Play the game how you want.

Also, uninstalling for a patch seems... odd?
Exactly what I do.
In the Mare Nostrum campaign I sank the two carriers in Gibraltar.

JScones
04-26-10, 10:19 PM
:rotfl2: Sounds like Dev Q&A time all over again, LOL.

Anyway, I'm glad they're taking their time and working hard on it. Wouldn't want them to rush their holidays, erm, patch now, would we? :rotfl2:

TIC. :D

esculapio
04-26-10, 10:48 PM
I am so happy that I did not buy this sh*t.
and also I'm happy for those who downloaded pirated :yeah:

Really, good for you! :salute:

Feuer Frei!
04-26-10, 10:53 PM
Wrong! You're reading into things that were NEVER posted by me.
I never said you should keep quiet, far from it, i have no issues with people voicing their concerns. Respect them in fact.
For how long?
As long as it takes! No point in getting a hernia over it!
Defend Ubisoft and it's Devs?
Just because i don't complain "openly" in every thread that is started, doesn't mean to say i defend them.
Nor does it mean when posting and "asking" some people to refrain themselves from just making the usual, boring mindless posts of "I hate Ubisoft" and the like, and actually come up with some more mature contributions, does it mean i am defending them.

Am i wrong?
Good day sir!

Acetamide
04-27-10, 01:42 AM
Hi all,

I know this is my first post, but I just had to reply to the "going on holiday" bit. This is a translation error, the original post isn't referring to any holiday at all!

Original:
Hallo Leute,

Wir haben eben mit den SH5 Entwicklern gesprochen und sie nach klaren Informationen zum Release des neuen Silent Hunter 5 Patches gebeten.

Leider können wir euch an dieser Stelle nicht mehr sagen als "Er ist unterwegs". Zeitlich können wir euch keine eindeutige Vorstellung geben. Richtet euch aber auf einen Release in der zweiten Maiwoche ein.

Ja, wir sind darüber auch nicht erfreut und haben auf eine frühere Verfügbarkeit gehofft. Leider können wir daran nichts ändern.

Wir halten euch auf dem Laufenden.

Gruß,
Marc

My translation:
Hello people,

we have just spoken with the SH5 devs and we asked them information about the release of the next SH patch.

Unfortunately, we cannot give you more information at the moment than "it's underway". At the moment we can't give you an exact date for the release. Expect a release in the second week of May.

Yes, we are not pleased with this situation, and we're hoping on an earlier release. Unfortunately, we can't change anything about it.

We will keep you updated.

Greetings,

Marc

So no holidays reported! :P

Glad to be of service,

Stefan.

Feuer Frei!
04-27-10, 02:05 AM
So no holidays reported! :P

Glad to be of service,

Stefan.
Danke Stefan!
Welcome to the community.
I bet there will be a few red faces around here.

BigBANGtheory
04-27-10, 02:09 AM
Ok so someone was having a laugh with the translation, which basically means there is no change and no news other than the forum moderator being less than pleased.

kylania
04-27-10, 02:20 AM
Hi all,

I know this is my first post, but I just had to reply to the "going on holiday" bit. This is a translation error

Welcome aboard Stefan! I can understand your confusion, the holiday thing was in reference to this later post:

Die Entwickler sind total in den Urlaub. Ehrlich. Ich würde nicht von so einem Ding liegen. Du kannst mir mehr Vertrauen, als Sie Ihre eigenen Mutter vertrauen. Ihr Pflaster wird nie herauskommen, Sie schon hinters Licht geführt. Ich bin überrascht, es gibt eine deutsche Übersetzung für "hinters Licht geführt".

Was there also a translation error with that one? :DL

Feuer Frei!
04-27-10, 02:25 AM
Welcome aboard Stefan! I can understand your confusion, the holiday thing was in reference to this later post:

Was there also a translation error with that one? :DL
" sind total in den Urlaub"
Can be taken out of context, that one,
do you have a link to this post? Over there? in the German forums? Would need to see the whole posts surrounding that one, could be a saying, as in: the devs are just totally not here", perhaps the poster is saying that the devs are not "with it" with this game, exactly translated, what you quoted "the devs are totally on holidays"
that doesn't make sense. German can't always be translated exactly into english.
I will still go with the comments posted at the start of this thread.

Nisgeis
04-27-10, 03:06 AM
I had a look and there's nothing about it on the English language Ubi forum. I guess it would be helpful if they posted this information on all the official forums, instead of just the German one.

Phantom453
04-27-10, 03:19 AM
Yikes... all this time I've been posting "Let them take as long as they need, just means they're hard at work fixing the bugs..."
See, this is what I get for trying to defend SH5 for once! :lol:

Here is a translation:

Hello people,

Their reply:

We'll keep you informed.

Regards,

I suspect they're being rewarded for their top notch work in delivering us such a well documented, bug free, highly playable game???

Feuer Frei!
04-27-10, 03:33 AM
Meh, IF they are on holidays, who cares.
At least they get holidays.

robbo180265
04-27-10, 08:33 AM
" sind total in den Urlaub"
Can be taken out of context, that one,
do you have a link to this post? Over there? in the German forums? Would need to see the whole posts surrounding that one, could be a saying, as in: the devs are just totally not here", perhaps the poster is saying that the devs are not "with it" with this game, exactly translated, what you quoted "the devs are totally on holidays"
that doesn't make sense. German can't always be translated exactly into english.
I will still go with the comments posted at the start of this thread.

This is the whole post in German :

"Hallo Leute,

Wir haben eben mit den SH5 Entwicklern gesprochen und sie nach klaren Informationen zum Release des neuen Silent Hunter 5 Patches gebeten.

Leider können wir euch an dieser Stelle nicht mehr sagen als "Er ist unterwegs". Zeitlich können wir euch keine eindeutige Vorstellung geben. Richtet euch aber auf einen Release in der zweiten Maiwoche ein.

Ja, wir sind darüber auch nicht erfreut und haben auf eine frühere Verfügbarkeit gehofft. Leider können wir daran nichts ändern. http://forums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Wir halten euch auf dem Laufenden.

Gruß,
Marc"

Microsoft translates it as:

"Hello people,.

We have spoken with the SH5 developers and they asked for clear information about the release of new Silent Hunter 5 patches.

Unfortunately, we can say no longer you at this point as "He is on the road". Over time we can give you no unique idea. Set up but to a release in the second Maiwoche you.

We keep you informed.

Regards,
Marc"

Why do I suspect that we've been trolled?

kylania
04-27-10, 08:36 AM
Why do I suspect that we've been trolled?

You have been, but you're both talking about different "posts". :O::DL

robbo180265
04-27-10, 08:36 AM
The babelfish translation

Hello of people, We spoke the SH5 evenly with developers and asked them after clear information for release new silent of the Hunter 5 Patches. Unfortunately we cannot say you here any longer than " It is unterwegs". Temporally we cannot give you a clear conception. Furnishes you however on release in the second May week. Yes, we are pleased and for an earlier availability did not hope over it also. Unfortunately we can change in it nothing. We hold you up to date. Greeting, Marc

robbo180265
04-27-10, 08:38 AM
You have been, but you're both talking about different "posts". :O::DL

:o lol

I'll get my coat....

Feuer Frei!
04-27-10, 08:38 AM
thanks robbo180265,
i was informed belatedly that the "holiday" post is impossible to find!
:03: @ kylania

The General
04-27-10, 10:52 AM
I had a look and there's nothing about it on the English language Ubi forum. I guess it would be helpful if they posted this information on all the official forums, instead of just the German one.Yeah, how difiicult would it be to write a quick Post on this Forum, when you have atleast two guys regularly visitng it anyway, just to let us know about the delay? A little bit of communication would prevent people from getting the wrong idea.

Afterall, Ubisoft's a French company, with a Romanian development team and yet we're scrabbling around in a German language forum, trying to scrape up tidbits of unreliable informtion for a game that has the majority of its sales in the English speaking world. Not very good is it really?

kylania
04-27-10, 10:58 AM
Yeah, how difiicult would it be to write a quick Post on this Forum, when you have atleast two guys regularly visitng it anyway, just to let us know about the delay? A little bit of communication would prevent people from getting the wrong idea.

5 minutes after the German website announced the 3 week delay, I PM'd the forum manager of the official UK/US forums to update their thread with the new information. As you can see that hasn't happened yet.

I'm also convinced that GKane doesn't work for Ubisoft anymore, or if he does they should really look into what he's been doing for two months, coz it's not been "keeping us informed".

Skyraptor
04-27-10, 11:06 AM
For myself I'll wait for the patch without bitching. Since Ubi released this unfinished product I will show my displeasure by never purchasing a Ubi product again. If it says Ubi it won't be in my shopping cart.

John Channing
04-27-10, 11:32 AM
Yeah, how difiicult would it be to write a quick Post on this Forum, when you have atleast two guys regularly visitng it anyway, just to let us know about the delay? A little bit of communication would prevent people from getting the wrong idea.

Did you consider the possiblility that they are prevented from communicating with us by dint of policy. I work in broadcasting but whenever I am asked by my co-workers in the Newsroom for any comments about any media related subjects I have to decline.

JCC

The General
04-27-10, 12:53 PM
Did you consider the possiblility that they are prevented from communicating with us by dint of policy?Well something's up with 'policy' because the Moderator over at the Ubisoft Forums had to call up Ubisoft, on behalf of the forum members (end-users, consumers, whatever you wanna call 'em/us) to get a tidbit of information about the Patch. Now that's what I call a Moderator, actually working on behalf of the forum members and not against them. Imagine the possibilities! :O:

609_Avatar
04-27-10, 01:05 PM
Did you consider the possiblility that they are prevented from communicating with us by dint of policy. I work in broadcasting but whenever I am asked by my co-workers in the Newsroom for any comments about any media related subjects I have to decline.

JCC

You think they would be prevented from talking about projected release dates for a patch? I can understand comments but hoped for release dates? I'm also surprised by the sheer lack of communication from this company about this game. I don't know what it means but people will almost always assume the worse and it just looks bad. To only get information from one countries forum is just poor form.

Zedi
04-27-10, 01:20 PM
Those who wanna know why the communication with Ubi is so poor:

indian call center - p1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWH-hyNkQ0&feature=related)
indian call center - p2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqPJfA6wCM&feature=related)

kylania
04-27-10, 01:21 PM
Those who wanna know why the communication with Ubi is so poor:

indian call center - p1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOWH-hyNkQ0&feature=related)
indian call center - p2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqPJfA6wCM&feature=related)

The Community Developer for the US/UK forums "works" in Ubisoft Romania.

KiwiVenge
04-27-10, 01:25 PM
I moved on to Flight Sim X to fill in time and having a blast! Even bought a TrackIR Pro to go with it. Great game, and ya, not even worried about the patch due date now. Will get back to SH5 at a later date if FSX does not consume me forever.

John Channing
04-27-10, 01:27 PM
Well something's up with 'policy' because the Moderator over at the Ubisoft Forums had to call up Ubisoft, on behalf of the forum members (end-users, consumers, whatever you wanna call 'em/us) to get a tidbit of information about the Patch. Now that's what I call a Moderator, actually working on behalf of the forum members and not against them. Imagine the possibilities! :O:

Not sure what you meant by that last bit about moderators working against forum members?

JCC

John Channing
04-27-10, 01:29 PM
You think they would be prevented from talking about projected release dates for a patch? I can understand comments but hoped for release dates? I'm also surprised by the sheer lack of communication from this company about this game. I don't know what it means but people will almost always assume the worse and it just looks bad. To only get information from one countries forum is just poor form.

As I said somewhere else given the mature, reasoned and rational response to the first patch delay both here and on the Ubisoft forums I would be amazed if they haven't put in a company wide prohibition against giving firm dates on anything.

JCC

The General
04-27-10, 01:30 PM
I moved on to Flight Sim X to fill in time and having a blast! Even bought a TrackIR Pro to go with it. Great game, and ya, not even worried about the patch due date now. Will get back to SH5 at a later date if FSX does not consume me forever.Oops, there goes another customer!

Not sure what you meant by that last bit about moderators working against forum members?

JCCSorry, it's my policy not to comment any further.

John Channing
04-27-10, 01:39 PM
Oops, there goes another customer!

Sorry, it's my policy not to comment any further.

Can we take that as a promise?

JCC

robbo180265
04-27-10, 03:22 PM
Well something's up with 'policy' because the Moderator over at the Ubisoft Forums had to call up Ubisoft, on behalf of the forum members (end-users, consumers, whatever you wanna call 'em/us) to get a tidbit of information about the Patch. Now that's what I call a Moderator, actually working on behalf of the forum members and not against them. Imagine the possibilities! :O:

Trolling the moderators - ballsy

609_Avatar
04-27-10, 03:54 PM
As I said somewhere else given the mature, reasoned and rational response to the first patch delay both here and on the Ubisoft forums I would be amazed if they haven't put in a company wide prohibition against giving firm dates on anything.

I can understand that and that's why most companies I know of state tentative release dates with stipulations that they aren't written in stone and subject to change. Of course some people will moan for every delay that happens but a total ban on all communication? I personally think that is much worse.

daft
04-27-10, 04:59 PM
It would have been much easier for the devs if the community had been less... shall we say "rabid", about things. They are now in a position where they are better off clamping down and tightening up the coms, since just about everything will be dissected, misunderstood and over-analysed before it is thrown back at them. The benefits of talking isn't very great at the moment.

kylania
04-27-10, 08:46 PM
It would have been much easier for the devs if the community had been less... shall we say "rabid", about things.

If the game had come out at least with all required commands, and perhaps a few less bugs this wouldn't be happening. If the patch had come out on April 12th, like they said, this wouldn't be happening. If the patch had come out on April 20th, like they said, this wouldn't be happening. If they had announced on the German and English official boards the same information at the same time, this wouldn't be happening. If they added on three more weeks of waiting after failing two patch release dates but had said anything official about it, this wouldn't be happening.

Ubisoft has failed spectacularly and repeatedly pretty much at every step of the game here and continues to avoid giving us any information at all about the state of the game or when we'll see it playable in stock form.

If they'd just communicate this wouldn't be as big a deal as it is, but that "rabid" community is rabid because we're having to find things out on our own from foreign web forums and reports of products in Russia instead of the official channels of communication, which apparently don't exist for Silent Hunter 5.

robbo180265
04-27-10, 10:46 PM
If the game had come out at least with all required commands, and perhaps a few less bugs this wouldn't be happening. If the patch had come out on April 12th, like they said, this wouldn't be happening. If the patch had come out on April 20th, like they said, this wouldn't be happening. If they had announced on the German and English official boards the same information at the same time, this wouldn't be happening. If they added on three more weeks of waiting after failing two patch release dates but had said anything official about it, this wouldn't be happening.

Ubisoft has failed spectacularly and repeatedly pretty much at every step of the game here and continues to avoid giving us any information at all about the state of the game or when we'll see it playable in stock form.

If they'd just communicate this wouldn't be as big a deal as it is, but that "rabid" community is rabid because we're having to find things out on our own from foreign web forums and reports of products in Russia instead of the official channels of communication, which apparently don't exist for Silent Hunter 5.

Once again I totally agree. If the posters at the English speaking UBisoft forums had recieved any kind of response to their questions then maybe they wouldn't have felt the need to come here and let off steam.

What we are seeing at Subsim (mostly) is a reflection of the UBI forums I.E. unhappy posters voicing their unhappyness.

Difference here is that someone replies.

John Channing
04-28-10, 08:18 AM

An alternative POV for you to consider.

You mention "required commands". Required by who? It's pretty obvious this game was developed to try to increase the base of Sub-Sim players (thereby increasing the genre's financial viablilty) and not for the Grognards who habituate this forum. I believe that the Devs left all of the hooks for the traditional controls in so that modders could re-make it into something it wasn't meant to be and that reflects well on them. But if anyone thinks that Ubisoft could fund the Silent Hunter series based on the number of people here they had better brush up on their grade 7 math.

If the patch had come out on April the 12th, incomplete or in a form that made things worse, you are right... this would not be happening. It would be a thousand times worse.

Same as if the patch came out on the 20th and it made things worse.

And, if we have learned anything here, we have learned that even if they had communicated openly about the missed dates people would have complained about that. If you don't believe me check out the reaction over the rumours (started by a Ubisoft associate on a Ubisoft website) that the Devs had the temerity to go on vacation instead of working round the clock on WHAT I WANT NOW!!!!!

In the same paragraph you complain that the game was rushed out, incomplete and full of bugs, and then point to two delays in releasing the patch, which was obviously not ready for prime time, and sum up with the conclusion that they have "failed spectacularly and repeatedly pretty much at every step" . You are obviuosly not alone with this POV, but I find it puzzling.

As far as blaming Ubisofts communications policies for people's rants... sorry but that doesn't hold water. People are, or at least should be, responsible for their own actions. If they are willing to cede control of their emotions and reactions over to a corporation simply because a game does not live up to their preconcieved notions of what it should be, they are in for a very unhappy life indeed.

JCC

IanC
04-28-10, 10:13 AM
As far as blaming Ubisofts communications policies for people's rants... sorry but that doesn't hold water. People are, or at least should be, responsible for their own actions. If they are willing to cede control of their emotions and reactions over to a corporation simply because a game does not live up to their preconcieved notions of what it should be, they are in for a very unhappy life indeed.

JCC

Blame the customers instead of the product/service? :doh:

Faamecanic
04-28-10, 10:17 AM
Oops, there goes another customer!

Sorry, it's my policy not to comment any further.

ROFLMAO :har:

robbo180265
04-28-10, 10:55 AM
An alternative POV for you to consider.

You mention "required commands". Required by who?

Since you ask, it would have been handy to be able to steer the sub. The other missing stuff , depth under keel , compass etc - I'll concede that most average gamers wouldn't notice or care about (perhaps) But steering the ship is a pretty basic requirement IMO.

Having an AI that actually does something is a pretty basic requirement in a game that all about avoiding being destroyed by destroyers lol.

It's pretty obvious this game was developed to try to increase the base of Sub-Sim players (thereby increasing the genre's financial viablilty) and not for the Grognards who habituate this forum.

Without these 2 basic requirements you are more likely to put new gamers off IMO - well those that don't find subsim that is.

I believe that the Devs left all of the hooks for the traditional controls in so that modders could re-make it into something it wasn't meant to be and that reflects well on them. But if anyone thinks that Ubisoft could fund the Silent Hunter series based on the number of people here they had better brush up on their grade 7 math.

Agree.

If the patch had come out on April the 12th, incomplete or in a form that made things worse, you are right... this would not be happening. It would be a thousand times worse.

Same as if the patch came out on the 20th and it made things worse.

Agree, but I rather think you are missing the point. Again , it's only my opinion (for what its worth) But I believe that had their been some kind of dialogue between UBI and the gamers - not much , just a locked thread in the UBI english speaking forums. Then a lot of the anguish and gnashing of teeth could have been avoided.

Speaking for myself , and I've written this in a few threads already - so sorry for repeating it here. I have no problem with the patch being delayed , in fact I've rediscovered SH3 GWX and I'm having a ball with that. I would rather the devs took the time to iron out all the serious bugs and gave us a patch. What really irks me is finding all the news out via a German forum. I doubt I will buy another UBI game simply because of their appaling customer support (or lack of)

And, if we have learned anything here, we have learned that even if they had communicated openly about the missed dates people would have complained about that. If you don't believe me check out the reaction over the rumours (started by a Ubisoft associate on a Ubisoft website) that the Devs had the temerity to go on vacation instead of working round the clock on WHAT I WANT NOW!!!!!

Whilst I agree that there are some on this forum who simply complain for the sake of it - I really think you are doing the majority of the membership a great diservice by lumping us all together like that (again only my opinion)

I also have to say that had there been an official announcement about the patch - then the rumours of the Devs being on holiday wouldn't have held water at all. In fact the silence helped spread those rumours IMO

In the same paragraph you complain that the game was rushed out, incomplete and full of bugs, and then point to two delays in releasing the patch, which was obviously not ready for prime time, and sum up with the conclusion that they have "failed spectacularly and repeatedly pretty much at every step" . You are obviuosly not alone with this POV, but I find it puzzling.

See above I guess

As Ian C has said - "Blame the customers instead of the product/service?"

JCC

:arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!: Because (apparently) my message is too short?

Whats that all about?

John Channing
04-28-10, 11:31 AM
Blame the customers instead of the product/service? :doh:

How people act is Ubisoft's fault. How people conduct themselves in a public place is Ubisoft's fault? Really?

No personal accountability at all? Everything is Ubisoft's fault?

How convienient.

JCC

robbo180265
04-28-10, 11:36 AM
How people act is Ubisoft's fault. How people conduct themselves in a public place is Ubisoft's fault? Really?

No personal accountability at all? Everything is Ubisoft's fault?

How convienient.

JCC

No John , not at all matey. We should behave with respect and good manners in a public place.

The trouble is, as I said above (and I'm guessing that you are replying to my post right now) that UBI's silence (again my opinion) is whats really hacking a lot of people off. They ask questions in the english speaking forum and nothing happens - there's nobody home, you can almost hear the driftweed lol. So they get more and more annoyed , come here , vent their anger at us - and so on.

John Channing
04-28-10, 11:50 AM

Whats that all about?

You mention the rudder as the example of the lack of ability to steer the ship as if that was the only way to do it. It isn't. The alternative is spelled out pretty clearly in the miserable excuse for a manual. The point and click method is very appropriate to someone who doesn't know a rudder from a scupper.

As to AI you are playing as an experienced Subsimmer. When you are closing on a target you don't come in, balls to the wall, blasting away. You know how to execute an attack. The non-Sub-Simmer doesn't and is going to have a hard time with the AI until they figure it out. As well (and this part is supposition) the non-Subsimmer just wants to blow stuff up and watch it sink. They would find evasion boring and if the AI was so good that they couldn't get close or get away the first time they tried they would hate the game.

As far as the AI for experienced Subsimmers goes have you played past 1939? From my experience in 1939 they can't find me at all. In 1941 they can find me but have a hard time holding me. By 1943 they are beginning to give me a very hard time, indeed. And this, for the Grognards, is spot-friiggin-on realistic, historically speaking.

As far as Ubisoft's decision not to communicate on this game I am not going to even venture an opinion. As we used to say at a company I worked for "It's their company.... they can screw it up any way they want".

The reality is that this information blackout has been going on long before this patch tempest in a teapot. Look how hard it was to even get a preview copy for Subsim. Clearly something inside of Ubisoft has changed vis a vis their relationship with Subsim.com. I have my theories why (and they go back to some stuff that happened with SH4) but they are only theories, so best kept to a favored few. Point being that this lack of information should not have come as a surprise to anyone... it has been S.O.P. from the beginning of this project.

And lastly, and I addressed this above, people are responsible for their own actions Even when you hide behind a nom-de-net.

JCC

IanC
04-28-10, 12:06 PM
How people act is Ubisoft's fault.

JCC

Well, yes. Who else's fault is it?
Cause and effect. Bad service for the customers, the customers will get upset. You make it sound like it's the other way around, Ubisoft is giving bad service because of the customer's bad reaction. That doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think any Big Business would be that petty, maybe I'm wrong.

robbo180265
04-28-10, 12:15 PM
You mention the rudder as the example of the lack of ability to steer the ship as if that was the only way to do it. It isn't. The alternative is spelled out pretty clearly in the miserable excuse for a manual. The point and click method is very appropriate to someone who doesn't know a rudder from a scupper.

I've had a look and I can't find it , mind you my eyesight isn't too good these days and I may be missing it because all the photo's are sooooo small.
I can see how to move in FPS style, and I can just make out the keyboard layout picture - but as I remember , using the keyboard gives you 1% one way and 100% the other?
I'm guessing that you mean the "waypoint method" which I knew about because of SH3 , I guess newbies could work it out if they have the patience.

As to AI you are playing as an experienced Subsimmer. When you are closing on a target you don't come in, balls to the wall, blasting away. You know how to execute an attack. The non-Sub-Simmer doesn't and is going to have a hard time with the AI until they figure it out. As well (and this part is supposition) the non-Subsimmer just wants to blow stuff up and watch it sink. They would find evasion boring and if the AI was so good that they couldn't get close or get away the first time they tried they would hate the game.

Excellent point - well made. I would venture however, that without any real challenge it would get boring pretty quickly for anyone (it certainly has for me) - but then as you say, I'm an experienced subsimmer - so who knows for sure.

As far as the AI for experienced Subsimmers goes have you played past 1939? From my experience in 1939 they can't find me at all. In 1941 they can find me but have a hard time holding me. By 1943 they are beginning to give me a very hard time, indeed. And this, for the Grognards, is spot-friiggin-on realistic, historically speaking.

Not made it past '40. The lack of variety of targets and the AI leaves me quite bored after a while and I just can't bring myself to play on. Plus now we know that there is a patch in the offing it seems silly to carry on when I'll most likely have to start again, and as I said - loving SH3 GWX atm.

As far as Ubisoft's decision not to communicate on this game I am not going to even venture an opinion. As we used to say at a company I worked for "It's their company.... they can screw it up any way they want".

The reality is that this information blackout has been going on long before this patch tempest in a teapot. Look how hard it was to even get a preview copy for Subsim. Clearly something inside of Ubisoft has changed vis a vis their relationship with Subsim.com. I have my theories why (and they go back to some stuff that happened with SH4) but they are only theories, so best kept to a favored few. Point being that this lack of information should not have come as a surprise to anyone... it has been S.O.P. from the beginning of this project.

And it's that S.O.P. that irks me the most. For whatever reason not talking to Subsim is one thing - but not communicating via their own forums is just plain stupid IMO, does more damage to their reputation.

And lastly, and I addressed this above, people are responsible for their own actions Even when you hide behind a nom-de-net.

Agreed:up:

JCC

:arrgh!::arrgh!::arrgh!:

John Channing
04-28-10, 12:30 PM
Well, yes. Who else's fault is it?
Cause and effect. Bad service for the customers, the customers will get upset. You make it sound like it's the other way around, Ubisoft is giving bad service because of the customer's bad reaction. That doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think any Big Business would be that petty, maybe I'm wrong.

Cause and effect of a bad communication policy means that people get upset... agreed.

Cause and effect of people getting upset means that some people should come to a website with no connection to Ubisoft and rant in spew in a manner that would do a FPS site proud? We are going to have to disagree on that one.

There is nothing wrong with discussing a game or company's percieved shortcomings. Neal's review of SH5 is a perfect example of how to do that without making yourself look like a "spewmonkey" (to use Neal's happy phrase). All we ask is that people act in the same way they would in front of their mother (anytime after the age of 5).

JCC

IanC
04-28-10, 12:34 PM
Cause and effect of a bad communication policy means that people get upset... agreed.

Cause and effect of people getting upset means that some people should come to a website with no connection to Ubisoft and rant in spew in a manner that would do a FPS site proud? We are going to have to disagree on that one.

There is nothing wrong with discussing a game or company's percieved shortcomings. Neal's review of SH5 is a perfect example of how to do that without making yourself look like a "spewmonkey" (to use Neal's happy phrase). All we ask is that people act in the same way they would in front of their mother (anytime after the age of 5).

JCC

Yes I agree 100% with you on that. I wasn't even thinking about the trolls, I had the 'disatisfied gentleman' in mind.

robbo180265
04-28-10, 12:46 PM

JCC

I completely agree with you John 100%.

John Channing
04-28-10, 01:13 PM
Group Hug!

Nisgeis
04-28-10, 01:13 PM

Whats that all about?

If you put all of your reply within a quote, the board software thinks you haven't written anything.

robbo180265
04-28-10, 01:22 PM
If you put all of your reply within a quote, the board software thinks you haven't written anything.

Aha!

Ta matey

robbo180265
04-28-10, 01:23 PM
Group Hug!

((((Hug))))

McBeck
04-28-10, 02:59 PM
Whats that?!?! A happy ending?!?!

No thread to close or people to throw in the brig?!

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah: