PDA

View Full Version : Mod to calculate Fuel Range?

mlsmith45
04-23-10, 10:37 AM
Is there a Mod that adds a button that calculates how far you can go on the amount of fuel or batteries you have left? I know it's part of the TMU, but I was hoping there'd be a stand alone one.

sharkbit
04-23-10, 11:38 AM
I believe there is already a button incorporated in the game, stock or super-mod, that will give you your remaining range at current speed. It only works on the surface though. There is nothing AFIK that will give you remaining range underwater.

:)

Oh yeah,
Welcome aboard!

mlsmith45
04-23-10, 12:02 PM
I think I'm blind then. Is it on the chart screen? I just see time to end of course and distance (called range) to end of course. I'm looking for something that tells me how further I can go with the amount of fuel I have left.

sharkbit
04-23-10, 12:23 PM
Sorry, it's been a while since I played SH4, so I fired up the game and found it.
Go to the "Nautical Chart" command, and there is a button for "maximum range". That will give you your max range at current speed.

However, that is in RFB 1.52. I seem to remember that you can do the same in TMO as well. I don't know about stock. I haven't even tried stock, I jumped right in with the super mods. With my experience in SH3, I knew stock would be a complete bore.

Hope that helps.

:)

Reinhard Dietz
04-23-10, 12:44 PM
For the stock v1.5 installation, there is in fact a range remaining command. It isn't available on the UI straight out of the box. I was asking this very question earlier in the week and found an answer after some digging.

Everything you need to know about fixing this is available by clicking right here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1152876&postcount=17). It's definitely made my cruising around in the Indian Ocean a lot less stressful. Now if only I can remember to avoid cruising close to vessels I'm currently shelling so their blast radius doesn't kill me. :damn:

Munchausen
04-23-10, 01:51 PM
:cool: Thanks, Reinhard, for providing the link. I can never remember where I put those things.

Reinhard Dietz
04-23-10, 02:31 PM
You're very welcome. I was seconds away from posting this very question earlier in the week when I decided to try a different search and found your remarks. I really appreciate the post.

That sort of information made the electronic career of U-181 in the Indian Ocean possible, and it'll make the further exploits of USS Searaven less nerve-wracking when I change hats from white to khaki. After all, we don't know anyone who's ever run out of fuel after having their base changed from Cavite Naval Yard to Perth. No sir, not a soul.

mlsmith45
04-24-10, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone. That link works perfectly!

Munchausen
04-24-10, 04:41 PM
After all, we don't know anyone who's ever run out of fuel after having their base changed from Cavite Naval Yard to Perth. No sir, not a soul.

:cool: ... and I know of this bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale, cheap.

Platapus
04-24-10, 05:02 PM
After all, we don't know anyone who's ever run out of fuel after having their base changed from Cavite Naval Yard to Perth. No sir, not a soul.

I found out to interesting facts about Fleet Submarines.

1. They don't come equipped with oars

2. And while subs do come with sails, it is not the one I was needing at the time.

:oops: :damn:

pocatellodave
04-27-10, 10:03 PM
I have been playing tmo 1.9 and RFB 2.o.RFB tells you how far you can go on what fuel you have remaining.I must say I haven't found a sweet spot with RFB and fuel is a constant problem.I don't have as much trouble with tmo,and unless I can onlock the fuel secret with RFB,I may have to resort to unlimited fuel,which I really don't like to do,but I play to have fun,and never finishing a patrol because of fuel issues isn't fun.I'm leaning more to playing Ducimus's tmo as it is more fun!.There I said it.

JoeCorrado
06-06-10, 01:32 PM
I tried the changes to the ordersbar.cfg file that was suggested here and while the button appears and the tool tip suggests that I can see my range at current speed- when I try it all I get is a message that max range at current speed is not available.

I know that it won't work under when submerged and I am testing this while I am on the surface, traveling at standard speed. Just not giving me the information.

Any suggestions?

**** Disregard. Apparently it does not work in single missions, but it is working just fine in career mode. ****

tomoose
06-07-10, 07:49 AM
In the Navigation buttons section.
IIRC one button has a silhouette of the sub bow and a small stopwatch = max range at current speed
Another button has a silhouette of sub bow and an arrow extending from it to a datum line = range to course end.

Compare one to the other to figure out if you'll make it back.

No re-configuring required.

green_abobo
06-07-10, 08:30 PM
i use RFB 2.0 along with previous versions before it. i almost always manually work the speed dial, and dont rely on the number keys to set pace.

RFB 2.0 has tabs for maximum range at current speed, and total distance for course plotted.

then you just draw a line w/ the nav. tools, and compare this distance with the estimated range at current speed to help determine whether or not you can make it.

the big thing is to determine what speed is the most fuel efficient for the particular sub you are operating,for use this with the above method.

keep in mind that crappy weather and high winds make for choppy sailing, and therefore you need to be a bit more vigilant maintaining that speed.

good luck.