PDA

View Full Version : external views in campaign mode?

UdiHrant
04-20-10, 08:28 PM
Someone helped me recover external views, (next '.' and previous '.') by editing a cfg file after I installed Triggermaru but when I started a career it got disabled again....can anyone help me get external views IN a career WITH TriggerMaru?

Much thanks.

razark
04-20-10, 08:50 PM
After you start a career, while in the office, look to the left on the shelves. There's a radio there. Select it, select gameplay options, and make sure the external view is enabled.

Settings from the main menu do not carry over to careers.

jerm138
04-21-10, 02:38 AM
I will never understand why they put the realism options in such an obscure location. :nope:

UdiHrant
04-21-10, 08:48 AM
you guys are GREAT!

Admiral8Q
04-21-10, 11:20 AM
I will never understand why they put the realism options in such an obscure location. :nope:

Hahaha!!!:haha: I agree, it got me too! :oops:

CaptBackasswards
04-21-10, 03:51 PM
Ah, come on. Externals OFF. Externals on in campaign mode is like drinking Decaf. It just doesn't do it.:D

UdiHrant
04-21-10, 03:56 PM
only if ya use em to cheat! I just have to do some sight seeing. Now IF they would let us get off the boat now and again in port or to visit other ships - that would be a different story...

Admiral8Q
04-21-10, 04:20 PM
Ah, come on. Externals OFF. Externals on in campaign mode is like drinking Decaf. It just doesn't do it.:D

I agree, but I like to have it for site seeing and taking screenies.:yep:

Once an encounter begins, I usually forget about external view until it's over. Then I use it to assess the damage and take pictures:03:

If anyone remembers me from sh2fleet, the stat games, you'll remember I was one slippery subbie. :arrgh!:

ZombieKillerPeter
04-22-10, 12:14 AM
Was about to ask about this as well, but it seems someone beat me to the punch. Thanks, guys!

Diopos
04-22-10, 02:06 AM
Don't get me wrong! I'm all for 100% realism. But the game has so great graphics. I sometimes play patrols or scenarios or even change the settings for a campaign mission, once in a while, to enjoy the "view"! :DL

But external cameras are great learning tools. Case: avoiding DDs. Great tool to compare how you perceive the situation (from your sonar station) and how it """really""" plays out on the surface!

Note the quotation marks. Sometimes when I shift from the sonar station to the external cam and back, I get the feeling that the sonar contact and the target on the surface are not "synchronised". Of course this may well be due to the fact that my sub and the DD are "close enough" and the DDs are generally moving/maneuvering with a certain amount of speed (say over 10 kts) and the shifting of stations takes some time, but ... Maybe someone can comment if there are cases where there are differences between the "position" of a ship, in the "virtual" ocean, the ingame maps, as observed through the periscope/UZO, or the sonar station?

jerm138
04-24-10, 12:08 AM
I agree, but I like to have it for site seeing and taking screenies.:yep:

Once an encounter begins, I usually forget about external view until it's over. Then I use it to assess the damage and take pictures:03:

Don't get me wrong! I'm all for 100% realism. But the game has so great graphics. I sometimes play patrols or scenarios or even change the settings for a campaign mission, once in a while, to enjoy the "view"! :DL

But external cameras are great learning tools. Case: avoiding DDs. Great tool to compare how you perceive the situation (from your sonar station) and how it """really""" plays out on the surface!

I'm with you guys 100% on this.
While on patrol I don't use the external view to assist in my attack or escape, but I DO use it to assess what I did wrong. And I use it to admire the graphics... watching the sub cut through the water, or surface from the depths after an attack is just too great to miss.

I DO use it for assisting attack/escape if I'm in "training" mode... typically a setup I make on the mission editor for the purpose of practicing attacks and such.

But if you abuse the external cam while on patrol, you may rack up more kills, but you won't have the same level of satisfaction when you look at your kill flag. The same as manual targeting, the same as manual plotting, etc. The more work you put into it, the better the reward is :up:

Admiral8Q
04-24-10, 01:20 AM
Like I said. I'll watch my own boat, but after I get a kill, then use it to see what I did! Also, if I thik something interesting is up, then I'll take a peak. My very first mp game in sh2/dc, I snuck under a merchiue, like this!
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1964/downunder.png