PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell?

Philipp_Thomsen
04-17-10, 09:19 PM
Hello, got the game yesterday... got a few questions.

1) Where the hell is the "lock target" buttom or keyboard shortcut?
2) Where the hell is the ship recognition manual?
3) Where the hell is the shortcut for blow ballast?
4) Do we really have to walk all the way to where we want to be? There is no shortcut on the keyboard to jump to stations?

I was on the bridge when I saw a destroyer on the horizon... I pressed "c" for crash dive, and guess what? 3 guys went down the hatch and closed the hatch... the boat started going down, I looked around, the hatch closed, wouldnt open by clicking on it. I looked to my side, a guy lookin thru his binoculars, while the sub started diving. Then I pressed F4, F3, F5, in an urge to jump down the hatch, but nothing happened. I looked to the sailor next to me and said (for real, out loud), "yeah buddy, I guess this is it... ", while smiling. I actually wasnt pissed, I found it funny. MUNITY!!! Came close to the hatch, and started yelling, while hitting my binoculars in the hatch: "BASTARDS!!! LEMME IN, THIS IS NOT FUNNY!"

Anyways...

For someone who jumped from Sh3 to Sh5 (yes, I didnt play sh4), its pretty embarrassing. I feel like Im a drunk kaleun, in control of an american submarine. Nothing makes sense, nothing is where its supposed to be. There are one zillion buttons in my screen, except for the one I need. I saw plenty of merchants pass right in front of my nose, and didnt sink any, cos I didnt manage to even understand the... nevermind.

I guess I will just start making a complete SH3 UI for SH5, including maps and keyboard mapping and periscope buttons and links, like OLC's ui. There is a thousand things on screen, when I actually prefer it clean. There is not a single slide-out dial or button, like in sh3, which is a waste of potential. War Ace Campain 4.1 did a very very good job with the whole UI in sh3. Maybe I can import some of that into sh5. If anybody's interested in having a little of sh3 into sh5, I will release it. Otherwise I keep it to myself.

Maybe the new interface is actually better, in terms of being more functional, but that requires "getting used to it", and Im very very reluctant to try, cos I studied sh3 for 5 years and I dont feel like starting from scratch.

Well, my 2 cents.

bigboywooly
04-17-10, 09:25 PM
Welcome across to the nuthouse
We have all felt that way
I know I did

Sure
Fix that UI SH3 style
Plenty of takers for that

Madox58
04-17-10, 09:33 PM
I just want to know where the 'physic abilities'
part of this is at?
:hmmm:
So you can use Goblin Editor for things.
:06:

I tried to ram another ship?
Couldn't even figure that out.
Kept hearing a guy yell something about 1 degree to port for about 10 minutes.
:nope:

Lookout Denmark! Here I come!
Ramming speed!
:haha:

THE_MASK
04-17-10, 09:37 PM
Wait for patch 1.2 which is out in what , one or two days time . Then install the mods after the modders make them compatible with 1.2 patch . Too easy .

kylania
04-17-10, 09:43 PM
Clean UI with all of SH3's features: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166093

You can even have it use SH3's dials.

Philipp_Thomsen
04-17-10, 10:12 PM
I just want to know where the 'physic abilities'
part of this is at?
So you can use Goblin Editor for things.
:06:

I tried to ram another ship?
Couldn't even figure that out.
Kept hearing a guy yell something about 1 degree to port for about 10 minutes.
:nope:

Lookout Denmark! Here I come!
Ramming speed!
:haha:

Yeah, its quite annoying.
As far as I checked, goblin editor doesnt open all the files in sh5. Either that or Im a moron. I tried sh.sdl and I got an error. I was going to start editing a new sound pack for sh5, but couldnt open that file. Didnt try with S3D yet, dunno if it would work.

I played for like half hour, and the amount of things I found out that need correction and/or improvement is mindbogglin. I don't even know where to begin.

But the lack of recognition manual and the ability to lock on a target are so annoying.

By the way, how the hell do you plot a course? I didnt find the tools on the map.

And when I said I was going to make a better UI, I state I have the intention, the desire, and not the skill. I cant tell if I have the skill or not, cos I didnt even started studying the game yet.

But I sure want to gang up with someone to start modding this sh!t into a playable status. Will dedicate at least 3 hours a day for the rest of this year to make it happen.

I've been talking to Rubini lately, we might gang up together to start deciphering this mess.

If sh5 didnt have an almost unlimited potential over sh3, I wouldnt even bother.

Philipp_Thomsen
04-17-10, 10:16 PM
Clean UI with all of SH3's features: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166093

You can even have it use SH3's dials.

Yes, I was playing with this mod.
With mostly all the mods avaliable.
I wasnt any close to sh3 experience.

kylania
04-17-10, 10:18 PM
But the lack of recognition manual and the ability to lock on a target are so annoying.

By the way, how the hell do you plot a course? I didnt find the tools on the map.

You need to at least read some of the tutorial threads here before complaining and decrying SH5 as a failure. It sounds like you're trying to jump into GWX style SH3 gameplay using stock SH5 and apparently ignoring everything in game and posted here. ALL of your concerns and observations has been discussed and solved already. The quoted questions above were even answered in the first 5 minutes of the tutorial! Press spacebar to lock and left click on your sub to plot if you'd forgotten.

Take a breath, read some tutorials, install the MultiUI mod and slow down and be patient. Then I think you'll be far more comfortable with SH5.

Madox58
04-17-10, 10:29 PM
I can for the most part see what needs done.
I understand most of the files and such.
I can rarely test as my system won't run the game.
What I can do with Goblin?
Is all guess work and trial and error.
No information is really a PITA!

If I said:
There's a back door to GWX 2.0 through GWX 3.0
It allows extracting to an empty folder instead of to the SH3 folder.
But never told you how to do it?
You'd have a fit!

So we get Goblin with no instructions.
Find the back door maybe?
Let me get my Wiccan Wife right on this!
Break out the dowsing rods and fire up the incense Mates!
There's Witchcraft afoot!
:shucks:

Philipp_Thomsen
04-17-10, 10:55 PM
Press spacebar to lock and left click on your sub to plot if you'd forgotten.

Take a breath, read some tutorials, install the MultiUI mod and slow down and be patient. Then I think you'll be far more comfortable with SH5.

Spacebar does exactly what it did on sh3. It marks the target. Im talking about the LOCK button in the periscope, so the periscope follow the target (turns).

What Im saying here is sh3 was intuitive, you knew where the button was before you saw it for the first time. Everything was easy to find, most of the time you would find a button exactly where you would put it if you were the developer himself. But sh5 its like "find waldo".

Philipp_Thomsen
04-17-10, 11:02 PM
I can for the most part see what needs done.
I understand most of the files and such.
I can rarely test as my system won't run the game.
What I can do with Goblin?
Is all guess work and trial and error.
No information is really a PITA!

If I said:
There's a back door to GWX 2.0 through GWX 3.0
It allows extracting to an empty folder instead of to the SH3 folder.
But never told you how to do it?
You'd have a fit!

So we get Goblin with no instructions.
Find the back door maybe?
Let me get my Wiccan Wife right on this!
Break out the dowsing rods and fire up the incense Mates!
There's Witchcraft afoot!
:shucks:

Speaking of Goblin editor...

Comes with no instruction what so ever.
And when you try to do something that you think its straightfoward?
It shows an error message: "OMG NOOB!" :rotfl2:

They are asking too much.

Tried the first time, lets open sh.sdl.
Error message: "Incompatible imput data".
Ok, lets see what "merge" does, same file.
Error message: "omg noob! this file is already loaded. I know cos I looked at the name." :rotfl2:

So, the first file I try to edit with Goblin editor, doenst work.

So far Goblin doesnt work for me in 100% of the files I tested.

Lets try the old good S3D.