PDA

View Full Version : Hi, newbie here :)

neca12
04-15-10, 03:09 PM
Hi everyone.
Few days ago I got SH4 and tried it but I'd like to do it with realism 100%. So any newbie guide here? Also if there's any must have add on?

Keelbuster
04-15-10, 03:26 PM
Ahoy!

Check the sticky at the top containing guides for sonar, TDC, etc. This will help with the manual targetting in 100% realism.

As for mods, there are a few popular supermods out there that really improve the game from stock. I think they all require the U-boat addon which patches the game to 1.5.

The supermods I know about are:

Trigger Maru Overhauled (TMO)
Real Fleet Boat (RFB)
Operation Monsun (OM)
Run Silent Run Deep (RSRDM) - this is a mod for historical shipping traffic and major battles.

You can find info about these in the sh4 mods section.

Welcome aboard:arrgh!:

Bothersome
04-15-10, 03:28 PM
Welcome aboard!!

If it's your still new at the game, I'd suggest just playing the Vanilla version for a few patrols on each available boat first. You don't need to complete the campaigns, just get used to all the boats and get exposed to the destroyers trying to kill you a bit. Don't worry about getting sunk. Just learn all you can about their behavior. Call it sub school.

Once you get serious and really want 100% realism then you probably should get TMO or RFB mods. They fix a lot of wrongs in the sim. Like dive times and dud ratios. You want realism right? Then get as real as possible.

I like TMO best because it seems to reflect more of actual traffic that you would have likely run into if you went back in time (without your current memory) to fight as the captain of a WW2 sub. I personally don't like re-doing history. I'd rather play as what they knew.

Oh, by the way. you need to get the U-Boat add on to SH4 to get best results from these mods.

BillBam
04-15-10, 03:31 PM
Check this link for some great tutorial videos!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146795

MOD selection is a very individual thing, read all the posts about each one and see what toots your horn.

As for 100% realism go for it but I personally prefer to learn one major part of captaining a boat at a time. While learning manual targetting I don't want to have to worry about my fuel or batteries running our or moving my crew around during different events. Also while learning manual targeting it doesn't hurt to have "realistic load times" uncheck so you get reloaded faster, just gives you more time to learn to hit something.

Sailor Steve
04-15-10, 03:55 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

Above. What they all said. Good advice.:yep:

orangehat44
04-15-10, 04:10 PM
It seems most of the super mods do alot of the same. I was new in your shoes just 2 months ago. You stumbled across the right place:yeah:.

But the mods do boil down to major differences in the end, after all the general fixes and such (some have enviroment packs and the like) but at the end of the line after they all do similar things the differnces are:

TMO seems to make the game harder, some reworked layers in the campaign.

RFB tried to emulate as real as possible, I tried it even with map contacts turned on your map doenst show anything, I cant remember if it gave sonar contacts on the map either ( some one can prob answer that)

OM Takes SH4 back to the atlantic and puts you back in U-boats so if youd rather play a uboat than an american fleet boat thats what you want.

And RSRD, reworks the campagin layers in the pacific to include most if not all the major battles, and i think it makes every boat out there follow close to what happend, they start in ports and follow real shipping lanes to their destination, they dont spawn randomly in the middle of nowhere or you wont find Lone jap merchants in American waters.

That being said I personally play on my lap top TMO currently with RSRD, but im thinking of taking RSRD off, I love WW2 history but Id rather play the game with "my own war" rather than alt tabbing to wikipedia to find major battles and such. Id rather have some more frequent contacts so I can learn the ropes, then maybe put it back on so I can relive the historical war.

On my desktop I run SH4 with OP Mon and OMEGU (thats the enviroment mod that makes the game look beautiful as well as changing some things im not too sure about.)

whatever you pick you cant go wrong. All the super mods are masterpieces in their own rights. Read the threads in the mod sections to get more indepth details about each one, and theres a program called JGSME that allows you to take on and off mods very easily. Information here is a plentiful.

Welcome aboard from another newer sub skipper:salute:.

Hope I helped and if I failed anywhere in a description I apologize and im sure some one will correct me :D

EDIT: forgot to mention each supermod is standalone except RSRD. I belive that can be run with each of the supermods but check out all the mod threads for install instructions.

neca12
04-15-10, 04:53 PM
Thanks everybody:):)

Platapus
04-15-10, 05:20 PM
You do realize that on this forum, 100% realism also means that you don't shower; that you spray your food with diesel; and that you have to grow a greasy beard?

You also have to play 1:1 TC for the entire patrol. :D

Welcome aboard!

kylesplanet
04-15-10, 06:13 PM
You do realize that on this forum, 100% realism also means that you don't shower; that you spray your food with diesel; and that you have to grow a greasy beard?

Welcome aboard!

And don't forget, every five minutes or so, have someone throw a glass of salty water in your face. :D

Munchausen
04-15-10, 07:28 PM
You do realize that on this forum, 100% realism also means that you don't shower...!

:cool: That's only true if you skipper a U-Boat. If you join the Fleet, try to limit your showers to one minute ... and tell your boss to split up your work schedule (of eight hours a day) into four-hour shifts.

commandosolo2009
04-16-10, 12:25 AM

Welcome aboard!

ROFL:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Diopos
04-16-10, 01:01 PM
My real problem is that I can't get the wife and kids to rig for silent running!

:)

Sailor Steve
04-16-10, 03:41 PM
Wife and kids?

Didn't anybody tell you? Part of the realism is not seeing them for six weeks!:wah:

commandosolo2009
04-16-10, 04:56 PM
Wife and kids?

Didn't anybody tell you? Part of the realism is not seeing them for six weeks!:wah:

good one mate...:yeah:

Jimbuna
04-16-10, 06:16 PM
Welcome aboard....try one of the supermods available and I'm confident you wont be disappointed.

Diopos
04-17-10, 12:44 AM
Wife and kids?

No, can't do! It's my assigned crew!

:D

les green01
04-17-10, 04:07 PM
welcome aboard but you know a captain can hand out punishment