PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants Suggestions For Windsor Locks Area

Subnuts
04-13-10, 02:09 PM
Just thought I'd give some suggestions for restaurants that I'm familiar within the area of Windsor Locks, in case anyone arrives at Bradley International Airport. An itinerary for the 2010 meet hasn't been fully worked out yet, and I don't want anyone entering or leaving Connecticut on an empty stomach! :)

Little Taste of Texas, South Windsor: Sort of a dump - orange duct tape on the seats, dingy floors, and ancient country music from the speakers, but the food is awesome and so is the service. First time I went I ordered "potato skins," expecting a cute little appetizer. What I got was a potato half the size of a football, with half the potato carved out and filled with beans, chili, cheese, and other wonderful goop. Got the bison burger the same time - a whole half pound of dripping-juicy buffalo and a generous serving of fries. My Mom got a chili bowl, which was a 12-inch tortilla shaped into a bowl, deep fat fried, and then filled with an entire pound of chili. Obviously nothing good for you on the menu, and it might not be "genuine" Texas barbecue, but I recommend this place to everyone I know.

Pepe's, Manchester: The Manchester, CT branch of a famous New Haven pizza place. You can get a salad or a beer here, but besides that, it's all pizza, so not much agonizing is required. They specialize in thin-crust pizzas cooked in a replica 1920s brick oven, and you could even get a cheese-less pizza with white clams, chicken, and shrimp on it. A step above the mass-produced stuff put out by Domino's or Pizza Hut, people used to "regular" pizza might not care for it. I personally swear by it. The booths are pretty big and you could probably seat 50 people easy in the front half of the restaurant alone.

Angelino's, Rockville: An old favorite Italian restaurant of mine on the border between Vernon and Manchester. The portions are huge, and you get free garlic bread and salad with your dinner, along with free soda refills. I don't go very often, so I can't really provide an in-depth review, but the staff is nice and I've never been disappointed by the food. They also have a private dining room that could support our entire group in a pinch.

Vernon Pizza, Rockville: Another nice little hole in the wall, I've been coming here since the mid-90s. They serve a lot of the same stuff you'd find at a "real" Italian restaurant but in a much more relaxed atmosphere. The food is good but nothing extraordinary, but again, I've never been disappointed by it, and I've never walked out hungry either.

Ruby Tuesday, Manchester: The only chain restaurant in Manchester I visit regularly. The prices are decent, and they have some good seafood and hamburger specials that keep me coming back. They give free refills on French Fries, and the salad bar is $2.99 with any meal, so you can stuff your face for less than $20 here.

August
04-13-10, 03:35 PM
That bison burger sounds good!

Jeffg
04-13-10, 08:16 PM
They look good, put on the list.

JeffG

Sailor Steve
04-14-10, 10:16 AM
Yawp. Buffalo is good eatin'.

SteamWake
04-14-10, 01:08 PM
I'm supprised no one suggested Subway... heh get it ... Sub... way... :haha:

Sorry Ill go back to gt now. ;)

Sailor Steve
04-14-10, 08:39 PM
:O:

I like Blimpies myself.

Guess I like the air better than the water.

That, or gettin' high...:sunny:

nikimcbee
04-15-10, 06:13 PM
I'm supprised no one suggested Subway... heh get it ... Sub... way... :haha:

Sorry Ill go back to gt now. ;)

Hey, you're moving in my territory of bad jokes!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Fozzie-bear.jpg

mookiemookie
04-16-10, 10:30 AM
Angelino's, Rockville: An old favorite Italian restaurant of mine on the border between Vernon and Manchester. The portions are huge, and you get free garlic bread and salad with your dinner, along with free soda refills. I don't go very often, so I can't really provide an in-depth review, but the staff is nice and I've never been disappointed by the food. They also have a private dining room that could support our entire group in a pinch.

Seconded. The "pound of pasta" was my savior in college. You got 2 or 3 meals out of it for a decent price. Man, I miss Angelinos. Aglio e olio or tomato cream sauce.....mmmm

Subnuts
04-25-10, 03:12 PM
I just got back from Little Taste of Texas. Here are some food shots. :yeah:

http://i39.tinypic.com/fp5ok7.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/v65iyw.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/e6bn20.jpg

Chad
04-25-10, 07:24 PM
Oo yes that looks good!

Blacklight
05-17-10, 05:28 PM
There's a really cool and quirky place that I like to eat in Collinsville called LaSalle's. It's kind of a cool deli/resturaunt/general store with LOTS of character. Very old fashioned and in a historic building. Highly recomend a stop there. They do breakfast/lunch/dinner and have fantastic, everything home made pizzas.

Huxleys Bookmark Cafe in Meriden is my favorite place to go for breakfast. The food there is incredible and it also has a lot of character. It's been a fixture in Meriden forever. There's books all over the walls that you can grab and read while you eat. They're usually open till 2pm and they do breakfast and lunch food. Their coffee is the best morning cup of coffee I've ever had.

Also, if you want to try a steamed cheeseburger from the place that INVENTED the steamed cheeseburger, you should visit Ted's in Meriden. They still make the burgers with the same machine that the owner invented to make them. They're INCREDIBLE !!! I can't even describe how good they are. People have actually come from all over the world to have burgers there (And you wouldn't know it because the place is this little TINY place that looks like a little diner).
Both these places prices are low and nice too.