PDA

View Full Version : Rack em up

longam
04-02-10, 04:34 PM
I getting that excited feeling again. Just racked my current server and the new one I'll be migrating to next week.

I started this network at our company with simple file sharing over 10/100 base Ethernet. Then I upgraded to a single SBS2003R2 server bringing email in-house with exchange. I also used every available tool on the server in the package to keep the network flowing, including SQL for contact database. I was quite impressed what this little box could do, but the 32bit limitations for memory ended up being it downfall.

Now upgrading to a rack mount 2U dual Xeon 16GB bla bla server with SBS2008 64bit. We purchased a full size cabinet rack to start housing servers (which is a first for me). We'll need the room because there bringing in 2 more servers the week after for a VOIP AVAYA phone system. At the same time were moving the customer data base to Salesforce for the sales team on the road and in-house. I'm going to flatten the first server and use it to replicate the AD. SBS2008 allows you to install a second copy of server 2008 on another machine. Then I'm going to start the process of upgrading all of the workstations to windows 7.

This is uber geek time for me. :O: but I still have to keep the factory machinery running too. The fun never stops. :03:

CaptainHaplo
04-02-10, 05:52 PM
Gotta love times like that. Though you did say a bad word... Avaya. I never have been a fan of phone systems. Still, we use em (I avoid working with them at every opportunity) and they are not as bad as some other voip products. The management tools are simple (as most of the "controls" are dealt with by non IT folks) and it does work.

longam
04-02-10, 06:20 PM
We researched Cisco, but there systems are really costly for a company our size.

It seems Avaya has outgrown some of its troubles, plus they offered more features then Cisco. We talked with current system users and they have nothing bad to say about them, but as in any new step forward, only time will tell.

longam
04-12-10, 04:21 PM
Got the server migrated over, now just sweeping up the mess. I suspect this will take a few more weeks, but all in all its looking good so far. There are some major changes in administration, but I'm sucking it in as fast as I can.

VOIP servers getting installed this week.... :doh:

Feeling the load for sure.