PDA

View Full Version : [HELP] Map Positions

co_kkie
03-13-10, 11:09 PM
Hi All. newbi here. sory about my english, im from indonesia, my name kikie. this game is realy new to me.

I need Help with this things. and something like it. i realy dunno what to do.

13°50'E, Lat 36°19'N Course E

what i've to do with that? what should i do? on map(TAI). how i "put" that to a map?
by the way, did someone have Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Official Guide: 110-page PDF guide? please share it.

Thanks all..

ausfatcat
03-13-10, 11:20 PM
refers to location should (if you have map contacts options on) already appear on your map at the location indicated with a little red box,

co_kkie
03-13-10, 11:28 PM
it comes from sonar/radar guy. but on map. there a nothing to se (no little red box). which direct i should to go?

kylania
03-13-10, 11:37 PM
Lets say I get a radio report like this:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6783/reportm.jpg

For the Long (Longitude) I'll look across the top of the map. In this case we're looking at 0° 43' E. 0° is the Royal Observatory, in England which is slightly west of London, so we'll start to look near there.

Longitude are lines drawn North to South across the globe. The 0° 43' E is read as "0 Degrees and 43 minutes East". There are 60 minutes, which uses the ' symbol, in each degree. Each degree is also 120km on the SH5 map.

So our contact will be around 86.5km east from 0 degrees.

Latitude are lines drawn West to East across the globe. The 51° 30' N is read as "51 Degrees and 30 minutes North". There are 60 minutes, which uses the ' symbol, in each degree. Each degree is also 120km on the SH5 map.

Since Latitude (the "Lat" in the radio report) starts at 0 degrees at the equator we'll count upwards from there. We'll find that 51° is just south of London. The 30 minutes means it'll be half way to 52°. So about 60km north of the 51° N line.

You can see that in this picture:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2368/coords.jpg

So there you see that the contact was found half way between 51 and 52 degrees north and most of the way to 1 degree east. Where the two yellow lines meet you'll see the contact which was reported.

It's good to remember that anything LONG W is going to be west of London and anything LONG E is east of London.

Anything greater then 50° LAT N will be from the bottom of England north and anything less than 50° LAT N will be south of England.

It's also interesting to note that usually coordinates are given in Lat/Long order rather than Long/Lat as it is in SH5.

co_kkie
03-14-10, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=kylania;1314197]The "110pg guide" is really only 53 pages long. It's printed on really small pages, so 2 per "page" in a PDF. It's also crap.

Here's six pages from it so you can see how fluff it is. :shifty:

is there information?tutorial to use map(TAI) such as info 13°50'E, Lat 36°19'N??

kylania
03-14-10, 12:58 AM
The "110pg guide" is really only 53 pages long. It's printed on really small pages, so 2 per "page" in a PDF. It's also crap. The guide is just fluff information about the subs, ships and crew.

First page is some basic historical overview of the war and the situation you find yourself in. Next up is the in game blurb about your crew plus some quick job descriptions about what each crew position did in real life.

The player submarine section has some in game model pictures and cursory historic information about them.

The next 70 or so pages would have made a nice recognition manual, except for the fact that even though they include head on pictures of the ships, there's no mast height listed!

After that are a few pages of information about your U-boat's weapons. It's got some neat information but like the torpedo information page is literally just a picture of 3 torpedoes with different color bow caps and T1, T2 and T4 printed next to them. No details at all. Just Steam/Elec/Acoustic and the T designations, nothing else.

There's no explanations about the game UI or anything like that. No Tips and Tricks, just in game models and vague information about objects.

Here's six "pages" of it.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9315/pagesw.jpg

fideco
03-14-10, 03:44 AM
I had never seen an explanation so clear and useful
thanks a lot!!!!:up:

co_kkie
03-14-10, 06:42 AM
To answer your first question, lets say I get a radio report like this:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/6783/reportm.jpg

For the Long (Longitude) I'll look across the top of the map. In this case we're looking at 0° 43' E. 0° is the Royal Observatory, in England which is slightly west of London, so we'll start to look near there.

Longitude are lines drawn North to South across the globe. The 0° 43' E is read as "0 Degrees and 43 minutes East". There are 60 minutes, which uses the ' symbol, in each degree. Each degree is also 120km on the SH5 map.

So our contact will be around 86.5km east from 0 degrees.

Latitude are lines drawn West to East across the globe. The 51° 30' N is read as "51 Degrees and 30 minutes North". There are 60 minutes, which uses the ' symbol, in each degree. Each degree is also 120km on the SH5 map.

Since Latitude (the "Lat" in the radio report) starts at 0 degrees at the equator we'll count upwards from there. We'll find that 51° is just south of London. The 30 minutes means it'll be half way to 52°. So about 60km north of the 51° N line.

You can see that in this picture:

So there you see that the contact was found half way between 51 and 52 degrees north and most of the way to 1 degree east. Where the two yellow lines meet you'll see the contact which was reported.

It's good to remember that anything LONG W is going to be west of London and anything LONG E is east of London.

Anything greater then 50° LAT N will be from the bottom of England north and anything less than 50° LAT N will be south of England.

It's also interesting to note that usually coordinates are given in Lat/Long order rather than Long/Lat as it is in SH5.

WOW, This the answer that im looking for. Thanks alot man. You a savier.. :salute:

I've another question (hope dont mind).
in the begining Game (when captain talking) n Mision briefing, there is no voice. is that normal? i only hear music, etc. no voice captain no voice the briefing. ive already patch the game