PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Subsim Meet: New London Base HQ

Onkel Neal
03-13-10, 03:27 PM
One thing that made the Copenhagen meeting the best yet, was having an official base. We stayed at the Cabinn Inn hotel, it allowed us to bunk up like sailors and save tons of $$. We also were able to hang out in the morning and evening without lots of driving to meet up.

For New London, here is what I am proposing: I found a lodge that has 18 cabins in a park-style setting. They have (or will set up for us) wireless access. I will see if I can get someone to scout the site for us. As long as you do not require 4 star luxury accomodations or a cookie-cutter budget motel type of lodging, this should be pretty cool. Like camping. We can split the costs of cabins and that should bring our stay to less than $75 a night, maybe as low as $40.

If you are ok with this, post here.

Once we accept this or not, I will get more info and see if August or Daryl can swing by and look the place over.

When it is time to make the group reservation, say in April, I will need a fairly reliable number of attendess to to get a group discount. So, I will ask each person for a deposit of $50. As long as you attend, you get your $50 back. If you show up and did not make the deposit, you can stay in the lodging a.) as long as they have spare room and b.) at the normal rate, not the group discount.

As far as getting your deposit back if you decide not to come, Ia am fine with that as long as you give plenty of notice and your no show does not cost the group anything or distress the lodge. Hey, we all know how deposits work, right? :shucks:

Thanks!
Neal

Subnuts
03-13-10, 06:17 PM
If this alleviates the transportation problem a little bit, I'm all for it. I'm gonna be a hopeless noob here, but during the Copenhagen meet, transportation was handled mostly through a car/van pool, right? Wish I could help there, but I'm painfully vehicle-less for the near future. I'll just have to be a lecherous parasite for my first meet...just kidding.

As for luxury accommodations? We're all a bunch of submarine geeks here, Neal. Most of us probably embrace the idea of having 30 inches between bunks, and find the idea of sleeping in another man's filth an amusing novelty. :rotfl2:

Sailor Steve
03-13-10, 06:19 PM
:rotfl2:

I'm currently staying in a shelter with many many many other people in bunkbeds, so a cabin would be an improvement. The good news is I just may have the money for the trip. I'll certainly come up with the deposit.:sunny:

KeptinCranky
03-13-10, 06:27 PM
Sounds good to me! :up:

Chad
03-13-10, 06:52 PM
Sounds good x2 for me Neal.

Also, if someone is doing the driving around, save 2 spots for my Dad and I.

Maybe we should rent another van like we did in Europe :hmmm:

Subnuts
03-13-10, 07:04 PM
Sounds good x2 for me Neal.

Also, if someone is doing the driving around, save 2 spots for my Dad and I.

Maybe we should rent another van like we did in Europe :hmmm:

Didn't I already point out that we're submarine geeks? If we have a van, we can fit six people in the back seats, two or three people in hammocks suspended from the roof, another two or three sitting hunched over in the trunk, and we can bolt some chairs to the roof and have four or five people as "lookouts."

Chad
03-13-10, 07:06 PM
Didn't I already point out that we're submarine geeks? If we have a van, we can fit six people in the back seats, two or three people in hammocks suspended from the roof, another two or three sitting hunched over in the trunk, and we can bolt some chairs to the roof and have four or five people as "lookouts."

Haha, as long as I'm not the navigator :DL

I failed at that in the Copenhagen meet haha

Onkel Neal
03-13-10, 08:16 PM
Haha, ok, you guys are so cool. Yeah, I need more than 30 inches though :haha: even if I sleep on my side.

We will set up some transportation. Either a van like in Copenhagen, small bus, or Amtrak.

Jeffg
03-13-10, 08:42 PM
I have no problems with the rooming setup,as long as no one minds snoring?:yep:

JeffG

August
03-13-10, 11:59 PM
We plan on attending but I don't know if we'll actually need accommodations as Rose and I live only a little over an hour or so away. Can do on the campground reconnoitering mission.

But i'd recommend basing near here out of the Taunton / Fall River area instead of New London though. It's about half way between Boston and New London and much closer to Bostons international airport. Driving sucks around here and the less you have to do of it the better time you'll have.

Carotio
03-14-10, 05:45 AM
When it is time to make the group reservation, say in April, I will need a fairly reliable number of attendess to to get a group discount.

April? You need answers so soon, or is it possible to join at a later point?
I'm still 50/50. I want to go, but I have at this moment not a clue whatsoever, if I will be able to...

Bas Langenhof
03-14-10, 09:49 AM
I have no problems with the rooming setup,as long as no one minds snoring?:yep:

JeffG

I don't mind, I'm being doing that myself( so ihave been told).:oops:

CCIP
03-14-10, 05:12 PM
Well, assuming I can go (which I hope I can - just a little matter of finance/time off work that I'd need to settle...) - I'm entirely down for this.

I actually need very little space (considering the space I am renting for over a year now is a bed, two desks, and 9 square feet of floor), so the more people I can split with, the better.

Bill Nichols
03-16-10, 07:28 PM
Sure, why not?

Subnuts
03-17-10, 05:48 PM
We plan on attending but I don't know if we'll actually need accommodations as Rose and I live only a little over an hour or so away. Can do on the campground reconnoitering mission.

But i'd recommend basing near here out of the Taunton / Fall River area instead of New London though. It's about half way between Boston and New London and much closer to Bostons international airport. Driving sucks around here and the less you have to do of it the better time you'll have.

I've been thinking of another option. Stay in New London on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, but find a cheap hotel in Boston for Sunday night and Monday morning - assuming the meet drags into Monday like the last one. The commute between New London and Fall River is less than 90 minutes, from New London to Boston around 2 1/2 hours in traffic, but it's Portsmouth to New London I'm worried about. Driving three hours straight, on the last day of the meet, on an empty stomach, with the sun setting, and with the passenger-side navigator shouting steering instructions across three or four states...well, it just doesn't sound like fun! :o

Actually, driving through Providence is never fun, but you get the point.

August
03-17-10, 07:31 PM
I've been thinking of another option. Stay in New London on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, but find a cheap hotel in Boston for Sunday night and Monday morning - assuming the meet drags into Monday like the last one. The commute between New London and Fall River is less than 90 minutes, from New London to Boston around 2 1/2 hours in traffic, but it's Portsmouth to New London I'm worried about. Driving three hours straight, on the last day of the meet, on an empty stomach, with the sun setting, and with the passenger-side navigator shouting steering instructions across three or four states...well, it just doesn't sound like fun! :o

Actually, driving through Providence is never fun, but you get the point.

Well, Providence traffic at its worst is a wide open road compared to Boston/Rt-128 commute traffic but maybe you should begin and end in the Boston area seeing as that is where most people will be flying in and out from.

KL-alfman
03-19-10, 04:47 PM
have no problem with depositing and already look forward to it!

Onkel Neal
03-20-10, 08:15 PM
April? You need answers so soon, or is it possible to join at a later point?
I'm still 50/50. I want to go, but I have at this moment not a clue whatsoever, if I will be able to...

Sooner is always better. It's only $50! In any case, we will try diligently to assist each and every member, you know me :shucks: In the last Houston meeting I ran a shuttle to both Houston airports for the whole day, and glad to do it. So, if you decide to wait, we will still help you find room. Chances are, it's possible that the camp house inn will not be sold out until a month in advance, who knows. Plus I already have two overflow venues.

Sledgehammer427
03-25-10, 11:38 PM
I'd love to join you guys, I'm not going to be sure of my financial situation until, maybe late April early May.

I can just imagine everyone now
"WAIT...you're SH427??"

but then, my girlfriend's coming back in July, and she usually has a few bucks floating around for such things. I might just make a roadtrip out there. Cheaper than a flight, most likely.

:hmmm:
decisions decisions.

Chad
03-26-10, 05:27 PM
:hmmm: decisions decisions.

To make it easy, I'll decide.

You should come :O:

Onkel Neal
07-07-10, 10:07 AM
I've reserved the cabins for Sept 23, 24, and 25. If we have an overnight at BB Cove, we can amend that.
Cost is relatively cheap, around $55 to $85 per cabin, per night. That can be split 2 and 3 ways.

Neal

Subnuts
07-08-10, 08:05 PM
I've reserved the cabins for Sept 23, 24, and 25. If we have an overnight at BB Cove, we can amend that.
Cost is relatively cheap, around $55 to $85 per cabin, per night. That can be split 2 and 3 ways.

Neal

Any chance our cabins will be sightly cozier than this?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4658395842_0c293a8927_z.jpg

Seriously though, I can chip in if anyone really wants to come but can't afford to pay for accommodations. Got a link with some info on these cabins, Neal? Thanks.

Oh, and sorry I didn't get a chance to check out any possible sites these last couple months. I meant to ask before I went down to Groton on May 30th, but my mind must have slipped.

Gerald
07-08-10, 08:19 PM
Any chance our cabins will be sightly cozier than this?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4658395842_0c293a8927_z.jpg

Seriously though, I can chip in if anyone really wants to come but can't afford to pay for accommodations. Got a link with some info on these cabins, Neal? Thanks.

Oh, and sorry I didn't get a chance to check out any possible sites these last couple months. I meant to ask before I went down to Groton on May 30th, but my mind must have slipped.
If so are everything ready...

August
07-08-10, 09:50 PM
A stay aboard the Massachusetts is going to require sleeping bags. The racks are just heavy duty canvas stretched across a metal frame.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2640/3719223732_de8e08a022.jpg

Sailor Steve
07-08-10, 10:58 PM
So? :O:

August
07-09-10, 11:27 AM
So? :O:

I just didn't want anyone's vergyner to start hurting because they expected a nice cushy VIP bunk like what Subnuts posted. :D

Von Hinten
07-24-10, 11:12 AM
I'm a bit late here but Bas and myself are in for the cabins. Not that camping is my biggest hobby but the idea of having a base HQ worked perfect in Denmark.

Two questions though:

We're thinking of going to the US one day earlier, so arrive on Wednesday the 22nd, and it would be convenient to be able to use a cabin then already to prevent us from having to move around too much. Is that possible? And how do we go about arranging this?

And how/when/where would you like our $100 deposit sir? :salute:

August
07-26-10, 02:50 PM
I'm a bit late here but Bas and myself are in for the cabins. Not that camping is my biggest hobby but the idea of having a base HQ worked perfect in Denmark.

Two questions though:

We're thinking of going to the US one day earlier, so arrive on Wednesday the 22nd, and it would be convenient to be able to use a cabin then already to prevent us from having to move around too much. Is that possible? And how do we go about arranging this?

Yes it is possible. I'd say contact the place directly if you want an extra day(s). But FYI it's not going to be "camping" like you're thinking of it. they're actually pretty modern cottages.

Check out their website:

http://www.campviewmotorcourt.com/

And how/when/where would you like our $100 deposit sir? :salute:

Neal is handling the money for the meet.

Frying Tiger
07-27-10, 11:25 AM
It's right next to the Millstone nuclear power station, so it will be just like being on a sub! (grin)

There are three or four good seafood places in the area as well. (I live nearby in Waterford)

August
07-27-10, 02:06 PM
It's right next to the Millstone nuclear power station

Now there is a bit of information. How close? Are we going to glow in the dark if we stay there?

Sledgehammer427
07-27-10, 05:30 PM
Looks like I'm going to be able to make it :D

I'm getting a lot of dough from my PA work, I'll have more than enough to cover the cost of shacking up with the SUBSIM meet.

However, being a teenager means that things are very uncertain, so my question to Neal is if he could accommodate someone on short notice...I can sleep on the floor if need be....and starve...:hmmm:

Frying Tiger
07-28-10, 09:41 AM
Now there is a bit of information. How close? Are we going to glow in the dark if we stay there?

You probably won't glow too much... I've been here 5 years and no glowing yet!

According to Google Earth, it's 1.05 miles from the plant.

nikimcbee
07-28-10, 09:49 AM

Neal

Is the reservation in your name? I need to call them and see If I could stay there a day early?:hmmm:

August
07-28-10, 02:38 PM
Is the reservation in your name? I need to call them and see If I could stay there a day early?:hmmm:

I believe it is in Neals name Niki.

ivank
08-12-10, 10:42 PM
As for car pool, if people will chip in for gas, I can drive 7 other people, I think SH427 is riding with me, so 6 more in my SUV. Just a thought.

Sledgehammer427
08-13-10, 02:52 AM
As for car pool, if people will chip in for gas, I can drive 7 other people, I think SH427 is riding with me, so 6 more in my SUV. Just a thought.

well ,we haven't figured out transportation for me when I get there yet. I might just be able to drive myself...and thus, help with the carpool as well.

ivank
08-13-10, 12:55 PM
okay, well again i can drive peoples

Patboot
08-25-10, 07:23 PM
FryTiger!