PDA

View Full Version : Aft Torpedoroom?

Kretschmer the IV
03-12-10, 09:47 AM
Where the heck is the Model of the rear torpedoroom? I mean, there is an empty hole for the torpedotube. But no torpedo, no animation for reloading. Am i missing something?

GDFTigerTank
03-12-10, 09:50 AM
There's no reloading the rear tube on a Type VIIA without either a Milch Cow or a Port Facility with hoists and winches.

You leave port with a torpedo in the tube.
It's one shot and you're done.

Hence no reloading animation.
Hence no torpedo to see.

It fires and all you have afterwards is indeed an empty hole.

Actually found an old photo a while ago of a torpedoman who made his bunk in the tube after it was empty. I hope the crew didn't close the hatch on him as a prank! - note this was on a VIIB or VIIC where the torpedo tube is an INTERNAL mount.

Note: Actually don't know if reloading the aft launcher from the fore torpedo reserves is possible in game - but it should not be, and it wasn't in real life. So the lack of reloading animations is fine in my book. The aft torpedo is always the last torpedo I shoot because it is my ace in the hole.

SabreHawk
03-12-10, 10:13 AM
I was never familiar with the type VIIA until now. I too was surprised at it as I found no aft tube access in that aft compartment. And I did see the tube on the aft deck, but from what I can see it's only loadable fom outside the sub, not from the aft compatment like the VIIB and C. And the tube itself is built into the upper portion, not down between the rudders.

So the aft tube apparently on the VIIA is a one shot affair, till it can be reloaded in port or from a resupply ship.
Hmmm, I tink I'll google this ans see what I find.

SabreHawk
03-12-10, 10:42 AM
Well I didn't find much but I did find this. :

Originating from the Vetehinen design of 1931, the Type VII comprised ten medium sized submarines (U-27 to U-36, all commissioned from August to December 1936) that were both single-hulled and single-ruddered.
The type was equipped with four bow torpedo tubes and a distinctive externally mounted stern tube. Additionally, large external ballast tanks (to lift the heavy hull for surfacing) gave the Type (and its future variants) a characteristic shape. Able to dive fast and deep with a theoretical crush depth of over 700 feet, the Type was a potent threat to Allied shipping. However, operational combat soon showed up four major weaknesses:
1) engine mountings fractured, forcing boats back to base;
2) the single rudder gave poor underwater maneuverability; 3) the external stern torpedo tube could not be reloaded;
4) and a short range of only 6,200 miles.
Still, when war began in September 1939, the ten Type VIIa U-boats - grouped into the Saltzwedel Flotilla - were at the forefront of combat. The first sinking by a submarine was of the "Athenia" (made by U-30) and days later the aircraft carrier "HMS Courageous" was torpedoed by U-29. Also, the largest ship sunk by any U-boat during WWII was by Hans Jenisch in U-32 when he sank the already damaged "Empress of Britain" in October 1940.
But as the battle extended into the open Atlantic after the capture of French seashore bases, the design's shortcomings became more and more obvious and - by the end of 1940 - the four Type VIIs U-boats that had not been lost in action so far were relegated to training.
Eventually all Type VIIa U-boats but two (U-29 and U-30 which were both scuttled in Kupfermühlen Bay in 1945) were sunk during WWII.

GDFTigerTank
03-12-10, 10:42 AM
SabreHawk nailed it exactly.

Kretschmer the IV
03-12-10, 10:47 AM
Yah. But i got the VII C, i can reload over the torpedo screen.
One in tube, on in reserve and one in external reserve.

GDFTigerTank
03-12-10, 10:53 AM
Oh then yes obviously reloading animations would be appropriate.

I'm still cruising around in my VIIA.

Please tell me though that it at least doesn't let you move a torpedo from the external reserve to the internal or the torpedo tube unless you're on the surface.... :o
And technically it should take SIGNIFICANTLY more time than an internal reload takes...

Kretschmer the IV
03-12-10, 10:59 AM
Oh then yes obviously reloading animations would be appropriate.

I'm still cruising around in my VIIA.

Please tell me though that it at least doesn't let you move a torpedo from the external reserve to the internal or the torpedo tube unless you're on the surface.... :o
And technically it should take SIGNIFICANTLY more time than an internal reload takes...

The reload from ext to int takes about 10 seconds :(

GDFTigerTank
03-12-10, 11:05 AM
TEN SECONDS?!?!?! :o

Ok...Having actually set foot on a Type VIIC myself and seen what's involved in that actual reloading process... that is obscene. :nope:

You can't reload a MODERN DAY torpedo tube in 10 seconds!

Sometimes I don't believe that the people who made this game know a thing about submarines at all... let alone the sub's they're actually modeling... :damn:

Kretschmer the IV
03-12-10, 11:13 AM
ok ok don't take it seriously. But it goes pretty fast!