PDA

View Full Version : Never was so much hoped by so many, and delivered to so few!

bond672
03-10-10, 11:34 PM
Dear all,
After playing SH5 i can safely say i have never been so dissapointed in all my life! when i played SH4 i was a kid in a candy store, the gameplay was magical, i felt immersed in the sim. it was great just to stand on the bridge and watch the waves go by.

when i turn to SH5 what do we get? one boat! and the major difference i can tell from SH5 to 4 is the great ripple view from the water on the camera lense!

when you look at the MODS people have done for SH4 it surpases SH5 10000 to 1. the ability to walk through a cabin and ask someone how his wife and kids are is not a huge step up in quality. I am shocked, saddened and dissapointed with this sim. im sure i am not alone in this frustration but if there are people who are deciding to buy this sim, my honest answer would be get SH4 plus uboat missions, install op Monsun and its better than you will ever get with SH5.

the whole internet connection thing is a whole nother matter which i wont go into because its a waste of breath and finger typing.

thanks for reading
regards
Bond

jazman
03-10-10, 11:47 PM
when you look at the MODS people have done for SH4 it surpases SH5 10000 to 1.

This is a ludicrous lack of perspective.

jwilliams
03-10-10, 11:47 PM
if there are people who are deciding to buy this sim, my honest answer would be get SH4 plus uboat missions, install op Monsun and its better than you will ever get with SH5.

the whole internet connection thing is a whole nother matter which i wont go into because its a waste of breath and finger typing.

thanks for reading
regards
Bond

I never got SH4 because of the unfinished state and bugs. The only reason I've decided to get SH5 is because of the mods. If there were not going to be mods for it, I wouldnt even think about buying it.
I Just hope they release patches and fix the OSP (DRM) side of it, very soon.

Ducimus
03-10-10, 11:51 PM
This is a ludicrous lack of perspective.
I take it as a compliment! :O: (yeah i know.. shameless!)

I never got SH4 because of the unfinished state and bugs.

Ever hear of a little programming term called inheritance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_(object-oriented_programming))? :haha:

jwilliams
03-11-10, 12:02 AM
Ever hear of a little programming term called inheritance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_%28object-oriented_programming%29)? :haha:

Yes, and that what Ubisoft Romania have done. Cut and Paste. but didnt bother to fix the problems in the old OOP code.

And seeing what was done by the modders for SH3 & SH4, Is the only reason I would consider buying SH5. If it was not for the modding & modder's ability then SH5 would be a NO GO!

mookiemookie
03-11-10, 12:10 AM
After playing SH5 i can safely say i have never been so dissapointed in all my life! Not to be too snarky, but when a video game is the biggest disappointment of your life, it's time to re-evaluate your life.

You're comparing the thousands of hours of work people have done with no deadline on a game that has been out for 3 years to one that has been out for 6 days. Are you serious?

gimpy117
03-11-10, 12:38 AM
it is a bit of a let down. right now though its simple things that are holding back. things that we know can be fixed..why? because it's in the code! they could all be fixed easily or enabled quickly!!!

this game reminds me of rise of flight. 1.0 of Rise Of Flight was not very good...but you could see glimmers of what the game could be...and now on 1.11 its actually pretty good. lets SH5 dosent have to wait 5 months to be fixed to that point.

pythos
03-11-10, 12:52 AM
You know, I have been playing Sh5 with only engine sound patches, and the first UBi patch and this is what I say to all you nay sayers.

STFU.

Aside from the all too easy Auto TDC, Lack of direction indication, and DRM from a stupid place (hell is too good for this dumb idea). I have found the sim to be VERY promising, and an obstanent deck gun crew that just get to happy doing their job.

There are some tweaks that the boat could use, and definitely a return of the best range at said speed, along with depth under keel.

But over all They got a lot of things right. The HULL CREAKS again. As you go deeper it changes to more ominous sounds. The interior is very well done, and once modders or UBI make the crew even more interactive than these baby steps presented here, this is gonna be a good sim.

Sh4 was unfinished and optimized bad. This sim is running quite well on my single core processor, even with the features on except for shadows.

The spray and explosion effects are too slow, but that is because of my single core, which will be replaced soon.

I have not had one ctd, unlike with sh4 the first few minutes I got one.

ONce DRM has gone away, and the modders can have their way with this stock model, we will have a very sweet sim that will exceed Sh3, and that is a bold statement.

Brewtality
03-11-10, 01:49 AM
Dear all,
After playing SH5 i can safely say i have never been so dissapointed in all my life! when i played SH4 i was a kid in a candy store, the gameplay was magical, i felt immersed in the sim. it was great just to stand on the bridge and watch the waves go by.

Firstly, if SH5 is the cause of your biggest disappointment in life, then you have gone through life with a breeze so far.

Secondly, can't you whiners stick to one thread, let those of us who actually enjoy the game have a neat forum to visit and talk about our fun times with the game. As it is now, a wall of pointless whining posts are greeting you as you enter what used to be one of the neatest, cleanest and most pleasant gaming forum on the web.

(the below is pointed at no one special)
If you've been a member of subsim for 3 hours, just bought the game and feel utterly disappointed with it, by no means feel obligated to come here and spill your guts about it for my sake, I don't really give a crap what you think about it unless it's being discussed in one single thread.

PS. A thread I would not participate in, btw.

GoldenRivet
03-11-10, 01:59 AM
i can safely say i have never been so dissapointed in all my life!

You have obviously never had a pickle surprise.

Yak
03-11-10, 06:04 AM
I consider 'The Crying Game' to be one of the few occasions in life where a grown man is allowed to cry in bereavement, self-disgust and epic dissappointment.

Buying a game, even a turd of a game isn't one of them...

oscar19681
03-11-10, 06:47 AM
Dear all,

when i turn to SH5 what do we get? one boat! and the major difference i can tell from SH5 to 4 is the great ripple view from the water on the camera lense!

when you look at the MODS people have done for SH4 it surpases SH5 10000 to 1. the ability to walk through a cabin and ask someone how his wife and kids are is not a huge step up in quality. I am shocked, saddened and dissapointed with this sim. im sure i am not alone in this frustration but if there are people who are deciding to buy this sim, my honest answer would be get SH4 plus uboat missions, install op Monsun and its better than you will ever get with SH5.

thanks for reading
regards
Bond

Why were you so immersed by sh-4? I mean it was not a bad game but in immersive perspective it was a step backwards compared to sh-3. Looking at sh-5 it brings back the immersivness a lot more then sh-4 ever did. But hey thats my opinion.

java`s revenge
03-11-10, 06:54 AM
Why is almost everybody talking about shiv???

My taste is still sh3 + GWX + all other mods is much much much
better than shiv.

When i look at the shv mods there are some mods deported from shiv.
Okay i am glad with it. But i do miss for example the great olc gui etc.
Where are all sh3 mod makers for sh5 ?

Coldcall
03-11-10, 06:56 AM
Dear all,

thanks for reading
regards
Bond

I think you are going over-board (pardon the pun).

Yes its got loads of bugs, and the DRM is a disaster. I was bitterly annoyed when i first started playing but i am starting to like it from a potentially modded persepctive.

However i do agree that the campaign is way too stifling and needs to be opened up so players can choose starting dates/locations/sub type. But from what Ive read from the modders apparently there is lots of scope for rewriting the campaign.

Mud
03-11-10, 06:56 AM
Dear all,
After playing SH5 i can safely say i have never been so dissapointed in all my life!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

bloody hell, wanna hear my story ? :har:

Mud

CCIP
03-11-10, 07:06 AM
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

bloody hell, wanna hear my story ? :har:

Mud

Sure :haha:

Yes indeed, if SHV is your life's greatest disappointment. You are a happy, happy, HAPPY man. :D

On a scale of disappointments in my life, SH5's problems rank about 0.1/10 for me. And I foolishly own two copies of the thing :damn:

Really, it's not a big deal. But it will take some work for this game to be remembered for its good features and improvements rather than failures.

Coldcall
03-11-10, 07:14 AM
Why is almost everybody talking about shiv???

My taste is still sh3 + GWX + all other mods is much much much
better than shiv.

When i look at the shv mods there are some mods deported from shiv.
Okay i am glad with it. But i do miss for example the great olc gui etc.

I think the modders will turn up for SH5, and in fact there are already some excellent small mods making redundant some of the worse in-your-face problems with SH5. Its also only been released for a couple weeks and those mega mods will take months to build.

My hunch is that this game will be heavily modded simply because it has a beautiful graphics engine as a platform. SH4 was not that much better than SH3 in graphics. IMO SH5 is a quantum leap in the graphics department.

Have a little patience :-)

mookiemookie
03-11-10, 07:15 AM

Scared off by the stupid DRM scheme.

bond672
03-11-10, 08:22 AM
its quite sad dont you think that the games have to be improved dramatically by the generous help of modders! i agree SH4 was a bag of nails before the modders got their claws into it and made it awesome, i cant say anything about SH3 as i never played it, but i have not heard many people complain about it.

who knows, maybe i am being too critical i can accept that, but if it takes modders to turn this into a half decent sim then its a waste of money, get rid of the anti-pirate thingy, sell it for half the price it is and let the modders do the rest.

for me this one will go back in the drawer until i see some better add-on's or mods
kind regards
bond

Safe-Keeper
03-11-10, 09:15 AM
Dear all,

thanks for reading
regards
Bond Wow, and here I was thinking opinions on games were subjective and that one person couldn't speak for everyone:nope:.

I tried several times to get into SH4 and just couldn't. I think a large part of it was that I'm not really that interested in the Pacific Ocean T.O., but the UI was also obstructive in my eyes and I never got more than a few days or weeks into the single-player campaign.

Bosje
03-11-10, 09:26 AM
so, I'm reading all this stuff about the copy protection and I'm reading about the bugs which were to be expected

come on, you can't seriously expect a bug-free SH5, not after having seen the previous releases, and look what SH3/GWX/OLC's stuff now is. it's epic!
i have it running in the background right now, as a matter of fact. I'm happy to put the watch officer back onto the bridge every single time i surface. happy because apart from that, it's just right in every way i want it to be.

SH4 keeps pissing me off because of all the little things that don't work the way I want them to work. that's not saying it's broken, that's saying it isnt the game i want to play. even UBM and lurker's Opmon, which put me back in the atlantic under the pretty SH4 engine (yay!) don't float my boat because it's simply not the way i want it to be.

a lot of that is because SH3 determined my standards, so while a modded SH4 has loads and loads of excellent and realistic features, more so than SH3, it's still nowhere near as much fun. it's a matter of taste, you see

so now, after reading all sorts of crap about SH5, but also after watching stabiz' vids on youtube :rock:....

drtechno
03-11-10, 10:24 AM
Secondly, can't you whiners stick to one thread, let those of us who actually enjoy the game have a neat forum to visit and talk about our fun times with the game. As it is now, a wall of pointless whining posts are greeting you as you enter what used to be one of the neatest, cleanest and most pleasant gaming forum on the web.

You mean make fun OF the game, right? Or do you really mean have fun playing the game? Because the latter statement must mean that you really have your head buried in the ground ignoring all the bugs. This forum is litterred with them.

Kapitan_Phillips
03-11-10, 10:31 AM
Why is it all I ever see nowadays is "When the modders get hold of it" or "When the mods come out"

Why should consumers have to finish making a game?

Bosje
03-11-10, 10:34 AM
partly because there would be no market for the game i want

if they made the game exactly the way i wanted it, they'd sell maybe 100 copies worldwide, so i need community enthousiasts to turn the game into what i would have liked it to be

not turn the game into what it should have been in the first place, because it wouldnt be developed in the first place

IanC
03-11-10, 10:40 AM

They shouldn't.
But this has somehow, slowly, become the norm with PC games, and gamers just accept it. And it's because they accept it and keep buying (even preordering!) these unfinished games, that the game companies will just keep doing it.
It's some kind of sick, twisted, circle.

sav112
03-11-10, 10:45 AM

That’s what my main gripe is, that the developers have charged full price for a game that has major bugs and everyone feels it will take mods to make it user friendly with dials, better fog, better water off the deck and probably better Ai and much much more.

What they really needed to do was hire a team of Mod’s and give them a copy of the game that they thought was a releases candidate and came back a few months later and seen what they had done, tested it and then paid them a fair price. (call it
enhancement and fine tuning department)
I’m actually impressed there is a few mods already out for the horrific user interface and some and wave mod’s. I always feel sorry for there unpaid work even if it is rewarding to here the fans appreciate all they do.

I did play BF2 “PR Mod” and it was like a new game. As I said I get the best of both worlds SHV will be £5 in Tesco’s and there will be a few fantastic Mods out by the time i get rounds to buying a new rig and buying the game. But its not right this is the way the industry is working.:down:

mookiemookie
03-11-10, 10:46 AM
Why is it all I ever see nowadays is "When the modders get hold of it" or "When the mods come out"

It makes me kind of think "well why don't you get in and try your hand at modding it yourself, instead of expecting someone to do it for you." I've bumbled around with files enough to do my own little tweaks.

Kapitan_Phillips
03-11-10, 10:51 AM
partly because there would be no market for the game i want

if they made the game exactly the way i wanted it, they'd sell maybe 100 copies worldwide, so i need community enthousiasts to turn the game into what i would have liked it to be

not turn the game into what it should have been in the first place, because it wouldnt be developed in the first place

I see your point, but from what I see, the mods out right now are for pretty simple things that dont really affect realism, but instead clean up the interface and oversights.

Bosje
03-11-10, 11:05 AM
true

the main problem may be that we are all hugely spoiled by supermods for SH3 and 4, and we expect the new game to be at least as good, with all the new features on top

that's apparently a dumb expectation to have and we all bitch about it or we can shrug about it

i'm being so mild because i just remembered how much I loved SH2 back when i didnt even have internet, i never knew so much was wrong with it because i didnt know any better. same with SH3 vanilla.

after a few months having a great time with SH3, i went online and found this community here, and that's where i learned manual targetting, where i got the supermods going and where i learned what was wrong with the stock game

as a result, i hated SH4 when i first got that, because none of it was working exactly like i wanted it to. I'm simply trying to remind myself not to make that mistake again and enjoy everything which is actually great about SH5, when i do decide to buy it :)

sav112
03-11-10, 11:06 AM
It makes me kind of think "well why don't you get in and try your hand at modding it yourself, instead of expecting someone to do it for you." I've bumbled around with files enough to do my own little tweaks.

Don’t think he expects anything but appreciates that it’s the hard working mod’s that eventually give us a game that we should really be getting out the box. Lets face it those ShIII mods are so far removed for the boxed release version.

Developer in my view spits out a half finished product and moves on due to the company wanting to make quick money and time restraints that are placed on them by themselves. And please for the love of god don’t hit us with “it’s a company its here to make Money” yeah I think we can appreciate that.

Coldcall
03-11-10, 11:34 AM
While i agree its not right that modders (consumers) should end up having to finnish a product for Ubisoft; there would not be the platform to be modded had no SH5 ever been developed.

So for the cost of the game, the sub simulation community has gained a highly moddable engine; (arguably) featuring the best maritime graphics ever created.

I reckon SH5 is sort of the new Falcon 4, in that it will end up a great game after a few years intense modding.

drtechno
03-11-10, 11:36 AM
I think you are misunderstanding. It isn't that they didn't make a game YOU want (realistic sub sim), its just that the game is completely unfinished and riddled with some unplayable bugs. And saddled with a ridiculous DRM system that we have to read about every other day "Ubi servers down again". The bugs and DRM are the problem, not the lack of realism. Read the reviews.

It isn't like this game was released, highly polished with minimal problems but was just "too unrealistic" for some.

The game, in its released state, was and is garbage.

Come on, destroyer groups that maintain course with you and just plow into islands? (that plus the game killing morale bug, UI issues, ships that are in midair and unhittable, etc. etc.)
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=164347&page=2

Kapitan_Phillips
03-11-10, 12:26 PM
So for the cost of the game, the sub simulation community has gained a highly moddable engine; (arguably) featuring the best maritime graphics ever created.

Well, I for one expect 100% playability and a finished product for the price they are asking.

Also, I doubt the engine accessability is quite as expansive as alot of people think. If it was, there'd be little use for a Silent Hunter 6.

Brewtality
03-11-10, 05:55 PM
You mean make fun OF the game, right? Or do you really mean have fun playing the game? Because the latter statement must mean that you really have your head buried in the ground ignoring all the bugs. This forum is litterred with them.

Excuse me if it offend you that I choose to focus on the positives here. But the last 20 games I've played has been in this state on release, it's not SH5 exclusive, you know.

In other words, if you play a couple of games other than the SH series, and get so ****ing annoyed by a bug that you can't enjoy the rest of the game, then I would guess you've got no games to enjoy the last 10 years. Not to mention the vein in your forehead would be the size of an anaconda...

And I don't think there is any point in making a new thread every time someone find a bug, go to the bug thread and point it out so that the dudes from Ubisoft that sneak around on these forums need only to look one place to find them. Not to mention how unpleasant and uninviting this forum is becoming if this new trend escalates.

PS. I cracked my game the first time I realized the Ubi servers was down... it's not really hard for anyone to do just that... just back up your original files and crack it, use the original files when a new patch arrives until it gets cracked again, or until the Ubi servers are stable,it's not rocket science.. jeesh, I would think this sort of creative thinking was basic gamer knowledge. I'm not promoting piracy of any kind, but in lack of food, even the devil eats flies...

Safe-Keeper
03-11-10, 06:06 PM
You mean make fun OF the game, right? Or do you really mean have fun playing the game? Because the latter statement must mean that you really have your head buried in the ground ignoring all the bugs. This forum is litterred with them.Way to totally dodge his point:nope:.

I agree, those of us who enjoy SH5 do not really appreciate people making threads only to gripe. There's a review thread for those who have the game and dislike it, there's a thread for DRM discussion, and I'm sure an "I hate SH5 and I'm never gonna buy it and I just have to tell you all" thread can be arranged.

I appreciate and welcome dissent, but spamming negative threads at a fan site is little more than plain trolling.

pythos
03-12-10, 02:42 PM
Anyone here build scale models?

Do you complain to the manufacturer when you see a part in there that makes you go "WTF?". I know I don't. I realize what I have is the parts necessary that with time and patience will become what I want it to be.

The sh series should be viewed like that, from here on out.

Never expect a complete game, just the essentials to get a complete game.

How much was your SH5 copy? 45 bucks.

My Revell Gato submarine was 99 bucks, and all one gets is pieces and parts, some that need some serious redooing or modding for accuracy.

Modding games is far cheaper than building models, and makes for a more functional thing.

Onkel Neal
03-12-10, 03:09 PM
Excuse me if it offend you that I choose to focus on the positives here. But the last 20 games I've played has been in this state on release, it's not SH5 exclusive, you know.

In other words, if you play a couple of games other than the SH series, and get so ****ing annoyed by a bug that you can't enjoy the rest of the game, then I would guess you've got no games to enjoy the last 10 years. Not to mention the vein in your forehead would be the size of an anaconda...

And I don't think there is any point in making a new thread every time someone find a bug, go to the bug thread and point it out so that the dudes from Ubisoft that sneak around on these forums need only to look one place to find them. Not to mention how unpleasant and uninviting this forum is becoming if this new trend escalates.

PS. I cracked my game the first time I realized the Ubi servers was down... it's not really hard for anyone to do just that... just back up your original files and crack it, use the original files when a new patch arrives until it gets cracked again, or until the Ubi servers are stable,it's not rocket science.. jeesh, I would think this sort of creative thinking was basic gamer knowledge. I'm not promoting piracy of any kind, but in lack of food, even the devil eats flies...

As we have stated MANY times, you cannot discuss cracking games here. Undoubedly, you will bombard the Admin with hate emails asking why you were banned, just read the rules.

sav112
03-12-10, 03:24 PM
Anyone here build scale models?

The sh series should be viewed like that, from here on out.
Never expect a complete game, just the essentials to get a complete game.
My Revell Gato submarine was 99 bucks, and all one gets is pieces and parts, some that need some serious redooing or modding for accuracy.

Modding games is far cheaper than building models, and makes for a more functional thing.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That must a a joke yeah, or do I buy a game try it, decide what has been left out, modelled wrong, bits of play that are lacking due to poor coding, decide the Ai is missing.

Picture a cartoon door, the door slams shut, a wee sign appears, “ Away to learn computer modding” six months later appears, the door opens and the character sits down to start fixing his game……

Oh yeah. Air fix Computer games.

Barso
03-12-10, 03:26 PM
I think we can all agree that the game was released by ubisoft unfinished.
For that, I blame ubisoft not the devs.
I am self employed in construction and I know how hard it is to work on a deadline and sometimes I go over that deadline to make sure the job is completed to as high a standard as I can do.
If a builder decides that my job is good enough for him so that he can get on with the next stage, there is not much I can do but make him sign a disclaimer.
I am sure the devs will patch it but probably only as long as the time ubisoft will give them to patch it and that will probably only depend on sales and how important the franchise is to ubisoft.
But I will thank the devs for one thing and that is for taking me back to the days were I spent hours upon hours on silent service 2 on my amiga.
I am now a married man with kids, a mortgage and a career.
I still have my hair but going slightly grey and wrinkles are just getting longer.
My main problem is, that if I booted up silent service 2 now I would probably laugh at how many hours I dedicated to it but what SH5 has done has re-invigorated my interest in u-boats to the point of buying up some u-boat fiction and non-fiction.
For that I thank the devs and the modders for making this game what it is and for what it will become and for me, this game is priceless.

pythos
03-13-10, 02:37 PM
Sav 112,

No it was not a joke. I am trying to put a positive spin on this sim, along with the previous Sh sims.

You obviously are so biased against the game, you cannot not see what I am trying to say here.

But thank you for the snide little comment there.