PDA

View Full Version : Windows Search 4.0 for XP

jumpy
03-10-10, 10:37 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/default.mspx

This is available as an optional DL via windows update. Is it any good or worth getting? I take it it's like the old Search function on the start menu?
I'm fairly organised so I know where most things on my pc are, but if there's a lazier way of doing it...

frau kaleun
03-10-10, 10:50 PM
It was already installed on my new PC when I got it, and I just left it there to see if I would ever use it. I don't. It's one of those programs that wants to start when Windows starts, and (I assume) it does some kind of indexing of everything on your PC whle it runs in the background, including email and whatnot, so you (presumably) can find it quicker when you want it.

The problem I have with it is that usually when I'm searching for something it's a file or folder and I'm assuming that since I don't let the program start with Windows and run in the background, it never does all the indexing it wants to do. Because when I try to search my C drive for something, it tells me I can't because it hasn't been indexed. So I end up using the old Search Companion instead., which works just fine for my needs.

I think I tried uninstalling it but got some warning about shared files or whatever... cancelled the uninstall and never looked into whether or not it would be safe to go ahead with it. But for me, I really prefer the Search function Windows already had.

jumpy
03-10-10, 11:01 PM
heh, doesn't sound encouraging; perhaps I'll try it out, but if it's going to be yet another system hog application, it might not last for long. :hmmm:

frau kaleun
03-10-10, 11:04 PM
heh, doesn't sound encouraging; perhaps I'll try it out, but if it's going to be yet another system hog application, it might not last for long. :hmmm:

I honestly don't know how much it hogs when it runs in the background, but I just don't like any program making my startup even 1 second longer than it has to be unless it's giving me something I really want or need. The old Search Companion works fine for what I do need, so I don't see the point of having Search 4.0 running on my system. If I ever wipe the drive and reinstall from scratch I will leave it off if at all possible.

kiwi_2005
03-10-10, 11:36 PM
You can turn it off in Services.

Control panel - administrative tools - services then find 'Index service' then properties and choose disable under Startup type.

krashkart
03-11-10, 12:44 AM
The old Search Companion is adequate. I installed the newer one and found it to be redundant, slow to load before a search, and it does take up some memory that could be used by other programs.

@kiwi_2005:

Thanks for the pointer on how to disable it. :up: Any idea how to kill StickyKeys?

Arclight
03-11-10, 01:19 AM
Just tap shift 5 times to 'activate' it; dialog should pop up asking to confirm, in there is a link to where you can deactivate it completely. This is for Win7, don't know about others.

As for Windows Search: pos imho.

Installed it once, and uninstalled immediatly. :lol:

frau kaleun
03-11-10, 03:05 AM
You can turn it off in Services.

Control panel - administrative tools - services then find 'Index service' then properties and choose disable under Startup type.

I turned it off in Norton Startup Manager. Don't like anything starting up I don't need or use on a regular basis (or at all).

I'll have to try uninstalling it again and see what message it is I get and come here and find out if it's okay to go ahead and dump it anyway. Probably is, I just never got around to checking on it.

kiwi_2005
03-12-10, 02:01 AM
The old Search Companion is adequate. I installed the newer one and found it to be redundant, slow to load before a search, and it does take up some memory that could be used by other programs.

@kiwi_2005:

Thanks for the pointer on how to disable it. :up: Any idea how to kill StickyKeys?

I have no idea I blame memory fatigue :) But I searched in Google and came up with this, its similar to what Arclight said for Win 7, same for XP.

Disable Sticky Keys on a Default Installation
1. Press SHIFT 5 times consecutively. The StickyKeys box will pop up.
2. Click Settings. Accessibility Options pops up.
3. On the "Keyboard" tab click the "Settings" button in the "StickyKeys" section.
4. Uncheck the items in this window and click OK.
5. Click Apply and OK on Accessibility Options.
To learn more about StickyKeys and other Accessibility Features open Help and Support and search for "StickyKeys" or "Accessibility"