PDA

View Full Version : Net cutters?

maillemaker
03-10-10, 09:34 AM
So what sort of nets were the net cutters on the front of u-boats designed to cut through?

Fishing nets?

Anti-submarine nets?

Did they actually work? They certainly don't work in-game! :)

Steve

Jimbuna
03-10-10, 12:06 PM
In RL they were never actually used for such a purpose....in fact I'm not sure why they kept them :DL

nikimcbee
03-10-10, 12:30 PM
So what sort of nets were the net cutters on the front of u-boats designed to cut through?

Fishing nets?

Anti-submarine nets?

Did they actually work? They certainly don't work in-game! :)

Steve

Anti-submarine nets

I don't know of any actual instances of them being used:hmmm:, but They dropped them by mid war, as they weren't sneaking into any bases, plus to stream-line the boat. But they look cool though. They are a left over from WW1:

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/onipubno32.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_cutter_(submarine)

nikimcbee
03-10-10, 12:39 PM
Now that I think about it, I think the idea was that submarines were going to be mainly used to sneak into harbo(u)rs. This was before their true purpose was refined (anti commerence). You need some sort of device to get through the anti- sub nets.
and on a side note US subs nnever had them, just German and Japanese subs (who copied the kraut subs).:know:

maillemaker
03-10-10, 01:21 PM
What I'm wondering is would they actually cut through anti-submarine netting?

Were the ever effective at cutting nets?

In the game the nets appear to be made of chain?

Jimbuna
03-10-10, 03:27 PM
The answer to the first two questions is No. Even if they had of, the conning tower being much larger would have become entangled.

The answer to the third question is...you cannot destroy the nets ingame because they are Ordnance and as such have no damage models.

Didd
03-10-10, 04:58 PM
Anti-sub nets were made of steel (they rust!) - at least around Orkney they were. There are a few left lying around on beaches here and the Naval museum at Lyness on Hoy has a fence made of the stuff. From memory I'd say the links are approx 16" dia made from approx 1/2" dia very coarse wire rope. Each strand is maybe 3mm dia (again from memory) with just a gentle twist on the bundle. There is very little flexibility in a link. Look as I might, I have never yet found a join in one of the links (if that makes sense) but there must be a weld somewhere....

I really struggle to see a wee serrated thing on the front of a sub doing any more damage that a superficial scratch.

Didd

Edit: By chance I have a photo that includes the fence at Lyness museum if anybody is interested. Also in the shot is a torpedo which appears to be heading straight for the camera and one of the screws from HMS Hampshire which was sunk by a mine in WW1 just a mile or two from my front door. If anybody wants to see it let me know and I'll try and work out how to!