PDA

View Full Version : High Value Ship in flames - no more ammo

Pranne
03-10-10, 04:28 AM
Yesterday i hit a carrier with 1 torpedo, setting it in flames and it lost all his screws...i put two another into it, and shelled it with deck gun until i run out of ammo.

Now i have must-have trophy before me, nearly completely in flames and heavy listing to aft/starboard and no ammo except this ugly Flakgun.

Is there a way to finish this thing off??

I cannot go home and leave it there....i simply CANNOT!:damn:

utops
03-10-10, 05:08 AM
Mark her position, go refit and back to her.

Pranne
03-10-10, 05:16 AM
Try to ram it :know:

Well, thats what i have done yesterday.

I rammed him with full speed....this sunk my sub, but not him.

Another idea?

Pranne
03-10-10, 05:17 AM
Mark her position, go refit and back to her.

That works?

He will be still there?

Noren
03-10-10, 05:34 AM
Is'nt there a great risk of the carrier resetting or moving on?

Deal with it...better luck next time!

Pranne
03-10-10, 05:42 AM
Is'nt there a great risk of the carrier resetting or moving on?

Deal with it...better luck next time!

I donīt think i have an other choice...will see what will happen.

If THAT goes wrong, i will lure in some destroyer or something, and let HIM shell the carrier by moving close to him:up:

Noren
03-10-10, 05:55 AM
Its sad I know! BUT HISTORICAL!!!!

Think of the captains who came back from patrol, having emptied their torpedoes at fat merchants and no-one exploded! And having reported this, command said furiously rejected any mechanical problems - it must be the error of the captains, right?!? :nope:

msxyz
03-10-10, 07:27 AM
You're lucky that Silent Hunter doesn't correctly reproduce all the problems to torpedoes suffered during the first year of the campaign.

The BdU was so frustrated (and refused any small talk about the incompetence of its officers) that wrote several recorded letters lamenting that the tonnage sunk might have been twice as much without all the duds.

Back to the topic, you can try using the flak gun. Probably it's too late for this warining, but saving and reloading might affect adversely your chances of sinking it (sometimes heavily damaged ships sink after minutes or even hours especially in rough seas. It might be a randomized event) Only basic damage information is saved by SH (a known limit since SH3)

Safe-Keeper
03-10-10, 07:59 AM
Is it possible to mod the game so that fires do more damage? I put some torps into a tanker yesterday and the whole bridge structure was ablaze, but she just kept going. Who was driving her? Shouldn't she be dead in the water?

SteamWake
03-10-10, 09:59 AM
Is it possible to mod the game so that fires do more damage? I put some torps into a tanker yesterday and the whole bridge structure was ablaze, but she just kept going. Who was driving her? Shouldn't she be dead in the water?

Next time use your free cam and zoom up to the boat to see the crew standing around in the flames scratching their bums. :haha:

Yes damage and sinking mechanics are pretty poor, lets hope the mods can fix this.

Ziggy
03-10-10, 10:04 AM
Your ship needs a ramming blade on the bow or your crew needs torches to cut more holes in the enemy ship when it sits there defenseless.