PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Detonation Working?

mchart
03-09-10, 05:00 PM
Has anyone had decent results with the magnetic detonator on the torps in SH5 so far? I can't figure out if they are bugged, or 'working as intended'.

They basically act no different then impact detonation. I can sail a torp almost perfectly under the keel of a ship and the torps refuse to detonate. By perfectly, I mean a gap so small between the bottom of the ship and the torp that the magnetic detonator should be going off - But it doesn't. I've only been able to get my magnetic torps to go off by firing them into the side of the ship itself - Just as an impact torp.

Anyone see the same issue? Or is this a non-issue, and does the magnetic detonator really suck that much?

SteamWake
03-09-10, 05:03 PM
Well they were pretty bad.

Frankly i havent tried it yet.

Nisgeis
03-09-10, 05:06 PM
Whar are you realism settings - duds on or off?

mchart
03-09-10, 05:07 PM
Well they were pretty bad.

Frankly i havent tried it yet.

Well, I do know that in real life they were hardly ever used because they did suck. However, I didn't figure they would suck quite this bad. Like I said, i'm getting torps to sail right under ships with basically no gap - And they simply aren't detonating. Which - It would be nice if they would detonate as that would cause a preferred amount of damage.

mchart
03-09-10, 05:08 PM
Whar are you realism settings - duds on or off?

I'm playing on 'Hard' which means every realism setting on except map updates, basically.

However, I don't beleive they are duds, as i've fired numerous times in a test-mission I made and they simply refuse to detonate if there is no impact.

krupp_88mm
03-09-10, 05:13 PM
I'm playing on 'Hard' which means every realism setting on except map updates, basically.

However, I don't beleive they are duds, as i've fired numerous times in a test-mission I made and they simply refuse to detonate if there is no impact.

set the torps sped to slow.. i think you will see they work 90% of the time then, at least i have found as long as im within 2m of the keel (which varies in height be careful where to aim, aim for the middle if possible)

mchart
03-09-10, 05:18 PM
set the torps sped to slow.. i think you will see they work 90% of the time then, at least i have found as long as im within 2m of the keel (which varies in height be careful where to aim, aim for the middle if possible)

Could be part of the problem. I tend to shoot fast only as it's very rare i'm shooting across an entire convoy.

sdflyer
03-09-10, 05:35 PM
My magnetic detonation works like a charm. I'm using slow speed, and lunch it from about 1000-900 meters.

My realism settings are 100%. Also I'm using manual TDC

gutted
03-10-10, 12:37 AM
My magnetic detonation works like a charm. I'm using slow speed, and lunch it from about 1000-900 meters.

My realism settings are 100%. Also I'm using manual TDC

Mine just sail right underneath (though i haven't tried it with slow speed yet).

How far underneath are you setting your torpedo's?

Soviet_Warlord
03-10-10, 01:51 AM
I always lunch at fast speed. Why would that make a difference for magnetic detection?

msxyz
03-10-10, 03:00 AM
Without knowing how closely SH5 emulates the magnetic fuse, it's pretty pointless to find similarities between history and this software.

WW2 magnetic fuses worked well with a depth set to 1..1,5 meters below the keel. Possibly more on large ships. German proximity fuses derived from the typical moored mine fuze developed during WW1. Large metal objects will create a small local anomaly in earth natural magnetic field; these deviations are however usually strong enough to influence a compass at least at close distance. Essentially, the proximity fuse was a magnetized needle triggereing a battery operated explosive primer.

For the first two years Garmans had trouble with them. All kind of conjectures were made to why they didn't work and, as a result, most Kaleuns simply didn't use them. It took a complete redesign to solve the problem about 1941.

Others more sofisticated magnetic influence detonators based on electronic detectors were developed later in the war but this simple design bolted on till the end of WW2

SubV
03-15-10, 04:50 AM
The detonators are not working properly, it's the game engine fault.

I posted this issue on official Ubi feedback thread, hoping the devs will fix that.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1121062387/m/5761050738?r=5541005148#5541005148

flymar
03-15-10, 05:10 AM
I've tried it yesterday. That was first time I've had proper identification. Ship shape showed on the torpedo depth meter. I shoot below with magnetic and it was a hit. So maybe it's bugged but not 100%.

molotof
03-15-10, 06:29 AM
Work for me at low speed, but not at 90% it's more like 70%, don't reliable for me :nope:

utops
03-15-10, 06:40 AM
For me its always work with dude torpedo on in realism options , 1m under keel
I just realized that i never has dude so far :stare:

EAF274 Johan
03-15-10, 06:59 AM
Just a guess; is it possible that the game sometimes reports the magnetic/contact state wrong, so that it says you have them on magnetic, but they are actually on contact?

GDFTigerTank
03-15-10, 08:44 AM
Keel shots do not appear to work on "Fast" torpedo speed setting. However, on slow speed, I get a hit every time.

Conrad von Kaiser
03-15-10, 10:13 AM
Even at my paltry 15% realism setting I've had some misses with the Magnetic fuse. I just figured I'd ID'd the ship incorrectly and set the torpedo too deep. Other times however I've had them go off with little problem.

After I missed four torpedo's on the Hood though I tend to set them right at the keel depth. They'll sometimes impact at the very bottom of the keel or sometimes just a bit before impact the magnetic setting will kick in.

remowilliams
03-15-10, 10:21 AM
I've had good success with magnetic fusing and under the hull shots. Always shoot from close in and at slow speed on the torps, and I'm getting nearly all hits with a nice percentage of keel breakers.

molotof
03-16-10, 03:32 AM
Good to hear, i'll test that :salute:

Supagoat
03-16-10, 07:13 AM
I haven't seen any premature detonation duds, but I've definitely hit with magnetic fuses 1-2 meters below the keel. I've also missed with them but I don't know if it was me missing or the torpedo not detonating. I'm on 100% realism.

raziel08
03-16-10, 10:35 AM
strange thing is, they should detonate within 2meters. so the chance setting them too deep under keel goes to zero. i mean, even if you set them to 5 meter they should still detonate...

stellaferox
03-18-10, 04:55 AM
I have the same problem with non-working magnetic detonations. I'll try to set up a practice situation with the mission builder. Meanwhile does the ship sink with one torp or is it neccessary to shoot more? In SH3 the ship could be blown out of the water and broken in two with just one well aimed torp underneath.
thnx
Marc

WOD
03-18-10, 05:10 AM
For me it magnetic pistol works. For testing I used realistic except the manual targeting. 1 dud so far from the beginning of the war til april 1940. I use magnetic nearly against all merchants.

Edit: I use the "Critical Hits with Torpedos" Mod

mobucks
03-18-10, 05:40 PM
are you guys checking with the camera that the shots are detonating under the keel? I set my torps to go 1m under keel for troop transports but they always hit the actual hull, not going underneath it. I find the keel depths for the TDC are all over the place when comparing where i aim to where it actually hits (using camera)

Conrad von Kaiser
03-19-10, 09:45 AM
You'll have to take into account rough seas as well for certain attacks. Heck I had one where I set it to 2 meters under the ship and due to the waves it actually hit it on the waterline lol

GDFTigerTank
03-19-10, 09:51 AM
I have the same problem with non-working magnetic detonations. I'll try to set up a practice situation with the mission builder. Meanwhile does the ship sink with one torp or is it neccessary to shoot more? In SH3 the ship could be blown out of the water and broken in two with just one well aimed torp underneath.
thnx
Marc

This can still be done, however it is much harder in vanilla SH5.

I would recommend you check out the Flotation Mod by Arclight which has gone a long way towards balancing the flooding damage.

Then if you don't like that mod, go for the Critical Hit Torpedoes Mod.

der Papst
06-23-11, 06:36 AM
You all talk about low speed.
How about electric torpedoes?
I tried them and didn't get a single hit.

Also, the displayed depth is false.
Example: (Ship auto-identified)

Displayed depth 7.3m, electric torpedo

Torp set to 8.1m - direct hit
Torp set to 10m - very close direct hit
Torp set to 11m - Torp 1m under keel, no detonation
:damn::damn::damn:

Any solutions? :(

Edit: Just had my first hit with a steam torpedo set to slow and M-Pistol
Since electric torpedos have and only 1 speed and it's to fast for M, we can simply forget them

But the displayed depth is still wrong :(

Trevally.
06-23-11, 12:04 PM
You all talk about low speed.
How about electric torpedoes?
I tried them and didn't get a single hit.

Also, the displayed depth is false.
Example: (Ship auto-identified)

Displayed depth 7.3m, electric torpedo

Torp set to 8.1m - direct hit
Torp set to 10m - very close direct hit
Torp set to 11m - Torp 1m under keel, no detonation
:damn::damn::damn:

Any solutions? :(

Edit: Just had my first hit with a steam torpedo set to slow and M-Pistol
Since electric torpedos have and only 1 speed and it's to fast for M, we can simply forget them

But the displayed depth is still wrong :(

welcome aboard der Papst:salute:

Can you post your mod list. The CFG file for this was fixed in TDWs UI:hmmm:

der Papst
06-24-11, 06:07 AM
welcome aboard der Papst:salute:

Can you post your mod list. The CFG file for this was fixed in TDWs UI:hmmm:
Thx :)

My only mod is Magnum Opus 0.01, patch2

The CFG-File for electric torpedoes?
Or for all magnetic pistol malfunctions?

Is TDWs UI compatible to Magnum Opus?
Or is it already contained in it?

BTW: Maybe someone can help me with that problem:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1689892&postcount=33

Targor Avelany
06-24-11, 11:24 AM
MO contains an earlier version of TDW's NewUI (as the whole mod is based on it).

You and install updated version of the NewUI after the MO. :salute:

Trevally.
06-24-11, 11:47 AM
The file that was fixed in TDWs Ui was the one for displaying ships:-
Length
Height
Depth

Alky
06-24-11, 12:19 PM
What would be the advantage of aiming your torpedo to go under the hull instead of into it?? :hmmm:

SalmonVGM
06-24-11, 12:22 PM
It's meant to be that if you can aim a torpedo to go directly amidships slightly under the keel and have the magnetic pistol on, the explosion may break the back of the ship and also cause more flooding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_pistol

Targor Avelany
06-24-11, 12:32 PM
lol.. Salmon was faster. :)

Raven_2012
02-25-12, 12:19 AM
Is everyone still having magnetic detenation problems? I know I tried on a single player mission the targets weren't moving and nothing happened.

Note, a moving ship through sea water generates a magnetic field that blooms out past the physicallness of the hull. A stationary ship wouldn't generate as much of magnetic field as a moving ship.

Has anyone tried the duds off and duds on? Did that make a difference? What about the GR2 torpedo file? Were all the parameters checked?

Rongel
02-25-12, 03:40 AM
Is everyone still having magnetic detenation problems? I know I tried on a single player mission the targets weren't moving and nothing happened.

Note, a moving ship through sea water generates a magnetic field that blooms out past the physicallness of the hull. A stationary ship wouldn't generate as much of magnetic field as a moving ship.

Has anyone tried the duds off and duds on? Did that make a difference? What about the GR2 torpedo file? Were all the parameters checked?

Here's a link to a thread that discusses this matter: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1794494

You'll find the answers there. In short, duds and magnetic torpedoes work with imported .dat ships. You have to put dud values extremely high to get duds with the imported ships.