PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft's DRM servers fail after attack

darius359au
03-08-10, 05:18 PM
Ok so it was a deliberate attack , but Ubi said it couldn't happen :damn:
http://games.on.net/article/8310/Ubisoft_DRM_servers_go_down_to_attack

Ships-R-Us
03-08-10, 05:30 PM
I think this is good that hackers are testing Ubisofts vulnerabilities. This activity is helping Ubisoft to explore and remedy its weaknesses so players can enjoy a more stable server platform in the future.

tater
03-08-10, 05:39 PM
DDOS attacks are nearly impossible to counter, and the way to do it is with huge server capacity—that costs money they don't want to spend.

Forcing all their products to use online when they have no ability to protect it is absurd. Personally, I hope they take a bath on this regardless of how it turns out.

Skybird
03-08-10, 06:37 PM
Should I cry now?

If people voluntarily buy such software, then it's just fair deal that they get what they asked for. So now play it the way UBI wants you to play.

And the DRM method being safe from hackers, well, gentleman, ehem - you all are grown up, aren'T you? At least old enough to know it better?!

UBI said that in the very unlikely, very unplanned for scenario that in the future they would want to close down their DRM servers, they could release patches then, removing the DRM from people'S copies of the games so that they can run them without needing to be online.

What that means, is simple. If UBI can make such patches, then hackers can, too - just much earlier. :haha:

Oberon
03-08-10, 06:49 PM
I haven't heard any news about this from the Silent Hunter V forum? Still, they all love the game so much they'll be fine with waiting for Ubisoft to reload the server, I mean, they have such good customer support so what's there not to love?

(Yes...that is sarcasm...lowest form of wit, but sod it)