PDA

View Full Version : SH5 is not that good.

Skyraptor
03-08-10, 05:12 PM
After playing it about 4 hours I don't think it measures up to the SH series. Auto TDC is not really auto. I seem to miss more than i hit anything. I spend most of my time going to get refits. I like getting to a station with a click not running there. The only thing i like about it is the graphics. Maybe after a few patches and some mods I'll like it more. As it stands I wish I would have used the money elsewhere.

Church SUBSIM
03-08-10, 06:03 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way ... but I think you will come to find this is going to be the best SH game in the series by 1000x.

Give it some time to get patched, the modders to get the game way beyond and accept that there are new ways of doing things.

The TDC on manual is so much better now than previous versions in my opinion.

In previous game launches we were working with broken items and CTD all the time. Seems to be no one is complaining much about those things and all the things they do want changed or done is capable of being done via mods.

The only thing that really hurts this game is the DRM and that has not even been an issue for me at least.

Give it some time.

Vlad34
03-08-10, 06:18 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way ... but I think you will come to find this is going to be the best SH game in the series by 1000x.

Give it some time to get patched, the modders to get the game way beyond and accept that there are new ways of doing things.

The TDC on manual is so much better now than previous versions in my opinion.

In previous game launches we were working with broken items and CTD all the time. Seems to be no one is complaining much about those things and all the things they do want changed or done is capable of being done via mods.

The only thing that really hurts this game is the DRM and that has not even been an issue for me at least.

Give it some time.

Well said, just give it some time. The modding talent here is the best you will ever find. They will have this thing spit-shined in no time.

Kapitan_Phillips
03-08-10, 07:00 PM
Maybe we should've given three quarters of the games selling price to the modders then.

Myxale
03-08-10, 07:33 PM
Well said Phillips!

IMO there is a difference between modders adding something to the game and modders bug fixing the game and then adding!:shifty:

We need to keep in mind that people Paid for this.
Hard earned money! In times of Economic instability no small thing.

But they've got...
... intrusive and profane copy protection; game that only plays when servers are online; unfinished software; and relying on the modders to fix it up so that the average joe and jane can play decently!:stare:

A hero we know surely would say:
"Feel the burning stare of my Hamster UBI. And change your ways":stare:
:haha:

On a side note

A bloke I know claims that the only reason UBI changed the Inner workings of the Software, is to give modders easier access for fixin' it :rotfl2:

Skyraptor
03-08-10, 08:48 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not dumping SH5. I'm just going to wait till it's playable for me. I did the training mission. After I started a career I could not get anyone to man the deck gun. The hydrophones didn't work. I would click on them and nothing. The man running the hydrophones said nothing useful. When I found a merchant ship I would try to guess where to fire fish..Big failure there. I was playing auto TDC. Manual TDC escapes me completely. The key commands make no sense at all. Why not D for dive...S for surface. I know there is a mod for this but when I tried it it locked out all the built in commands. F1 gave me all new key commands. So I will keep it on my hard drive and maybe when some changes are made I'll jump back in. Till then it will be SH4 (bargain bin purchase and DD of the expansion). Most of all I miss the simplicity of the workings of SH4. Two clicks and you're at the station you want to be at.

Stinger22
03-08-10, 11:02 PM
Just starting a campign, had a few singles and my first convoy attack, maybe 4 hours a leisurely play just feeling out. Have played every other SH series.

I like it so far. Yeah it's different. Well I've waited for something different. Still learning my way around and at first missed not having the hot key go to a station sytem, but now it's part of the immersion having to go around the ship and MUCH more relalistic. Maybe they should add radio stations so you could call the EX from the bridge and lookouts from controlroom etc. Learning to use the systems tabs to get info I need.

Did the old gauge mod and like that but may go back if someone mods the CO2/Bat/Fuel/Air quadrant to that control panel. Yeah a few more things they could do, but I like the difference between this and the old series, had a blast heading through the middle of a convoy and then dodging a destroyer that showed up.

Give it time and learn your way around. If you don't like it because it's different oh well, I think lots will. It's not SH4.5.

Huncowboy
03-08-10, 11:47 PM
Talking about manual/auto firing solutions. I liked the mod for SH3 that had the ring that you could pull down over the periscope view, and do all kind of manual calculations by referencing data (length, height of the ship, etc) from the ship recognition manual. But the new manual has no such data. So a mod like that is not possible. Or is it? That right there is a show stopper for me. I want to calculate my own solution by doing all the work. It is fun, and it is such a reward when you hit. I feel SH5 went a step toward arcade rather than simulation.

piri_reis
03-09-10, 04:12 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not dumping SH5. I'm just going to wait till it's playable for me. I did the training mission. After I started a career I could not get anyone to man the deck gun.

Basically you haven't spent reasonable time with the game. You don't know the basic commands, basic workarounds, auto/manual targetting or other things. And how about the mod section?.. It's not the same as SH3/SH4, if you spend the time to install mods, learn the keys/tactics etc, you will enjoy it.. That's all I can say.

KOS
03-09-10, 04:16 AM
we definitly need more mods and a super one to make the game shine... :(