PDA

View Full Version : torpedoes always miss

Lt commander lare
03-04-10, 04:05 PM
I have found a huge problem with sh5 when ever i use the autolock the torpedoes always miss i never had a miss in sh4 what is the deal with this game if you cant use your torpedoes and only the deckgun then the game is useless

Lt commander Lare

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 04:17 PM
manual works fine...

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/734/solution001.jpg

My understanding is that the devs introduced a fudge factor in auto TDC, because many players complained it was too accurate. There's a video around that shows how to use auto accurately.

kylania
03-04-10, 04:30 PM
One thing that seems odd to me is how torpedoes will drastically turn.

Like I normally setup a T attack, so that I fire when they cross 350 and it hits when they get to 0-10. In SH3 if I wasn't able to kill them right off I had to scramble to get back into position to hit them again. in SH5 I just turn the periscope a bit and the laser guided fish fly right where I'm looking. That's with TDC ON.

Seems a bit odd?

Webster
03-04-10, 04:50 PM
auto lock is far from auto

see the sticky thread for targetting info tutorial video :up:

Lt commander lare
03-04-10, 04:52 PM
so another words you cant sink ships any longer like you did in sh3 or sh4

lt commander lare

Nisgeis
03-04-10, 04:55 PM

That's right, it's no longer point and shoot, it's point, think, point again, have another think and is that right? Yes, it is! Now shoot.

The Auto part is the determining of the target ships' speed and course. But now the solution will not be calculated, it will just be displayed for you to match up by eye.

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 05:10 PM
One thing that seems odd to me is how torpedoes will drastically turn.

Like I normally setup a T attack, so that I fire when they cross 350 and it hits when they get to 0-10. In SH3 if I wasn't able to kill them right off I had to scramble to get back into position to hit them again. in SH5 I just turn the periscope a bit and the laser guided fish fly right where I'm looking. That's with TDC ON.

Seems a bit odd?

auto or manual?

In manual, the Gyro angle is determined by where your scope is aiming as well as the other elements of the solution (speed, course, AOB, range), so moving your scope changes the solution. It makes it easy to aim where you want, but I would rather have had the possibility to pre-determine my own gyro angles as in SH3/4.

Lt commander lare
03-04-10, 05:20 PM
How do i do manual then is that basicly point and shoot.

lt commander lare

Webster
03-04-10, 05:20 PM
i would describe it as a choice of manual targetting or very easy simplified version of manual targetting but as compared to sh3 or sh4 there is no point lock and shoot.

in fact you have to point the crosshairs to where the torpedo will have to intersect the ship at and not at the ship itself.

not sure if your a hunter but its like bird hunting, you shoot ahead of the target and let the target run into your shot

Lt commander lare
03-04-10, 05:23 PM
ok i will try it but how do i activate manual control in the game

lt commander lare

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 05:24 PM

lt commander lare

just in auto, in manual, it works under the same methods as SH3 or 4, although the interface is different.

There are improvements to manual targeting in SH5 over SH3/4 which I prefer:

1. you can lock a target, but the scope is not locked to the center of the TGT. This allows you to work on the solution, while still being able to look around for other threats and allows you to easily target specific parts of the ship. In the shot above, I aimed at the bow and that is where the torpedo hit;

2. the TDC is more flexible. It gives you access to all the same functions as the SH3/4 TDC, but also allows the user to directly type in the numbers you want to range, AOB and speed. Something which you could not do directly in SH3/4;and

3. the mini-map which replaces the attack map is now part of the scope /uzo station. You access it even while the game is paused, you can maximize it to work out your solution and then minimize it and keep it in view while looking in the scope which makes it easy to compare the two. It is more practical and useful than the old attack map.

The only thing missing is the ability to set gyro angles for each tube manually.

Lt commander lare
03-04-10, 05:27 PM
but how do i know when im in manual control vs auto that i guess what im asking

lt commander lare

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 05:36 PM
in the realism settings in options.

easiest way to learn is with map updates on. This way you can get the exact speed and course of the TGT ship, easily calculate its range and AOB and plug it into the TDC.

Highbury
03-04-10, 05:38 PM
manual works fine...

<pic>

My understanding is that the devs introduced a fudge factor in auto TDC, because many players complained it was too accurate. There's a video around that shows how to use auto accurately.

Would you be willing to make a tutorial on your methods? Even when I have been very sure of having all of the data correct my torpedoes often just go straight for where the ship was as I fired. I have bound "Identify Target" and "Range to Target" keys which I use to confirm my manual findings while I am learning so I am fairly sure I have the ID, range, speed correct... :damn:

Bilge_Rat
03-04-10, 05:44 PM
Would you be willing to make a tutorial on your methods? Even when I have been very sure of having all of the data correct my torpedoes often just go straight for where the ship was as I fired. I have bound "Identify Target" and "Range to Target" keys which I use to confirm my manual findings while I am learning so I am fairly sure I have the ID, range, speed correct... :damn:

I am working on one now, getting the screenshots ready. It will be a quick and dirty guide for those who want to use manual TDC w. map updates on, so you can learn manual TDC without undue shock. Should have it ready in a few days.

Lt commander lare
03-04-10, 05:46 PM
i got it i just sank two ships i think i have the hang of it now thanks for all your help on this one guys

Lt commander lare

Highbury
03-04-10, 05:47 PM
I am working on one now, getting the screenshots ready. It will be a quick and dirty guide for those who want to use manual TDC w. map updates on, so you can learn manual TDC without undue shock. Should have it ready in a few days.

Good Stuff, thank you!

Lt commander lare
03-04-10, 06:26 PM
Thank you for working on that as well.

Lt commander Lare